[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do the french surrender so fast?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8
File: frenchwontdefendthis.jpg (18 KB, 400x234) Image search: [Google]
frenchwontdefendthis.jpg
18 KB, 400x234
Poland, a country the fraction the size of France, with a fraction of the economic, industrial and military power, was attacked by Germany AND Russia and resisted for over a month.
Poland had no tanks, no modern air power, barely any artillery or anti-tank guns, and was terribly outnumbered. They had no allies and no help.

They resisted for 36 days.

France, a huge, leading military power, had Char 1-B tanks markedly superior to German machines, fuck-ton of artillery, lines of heavy fortification, modern fighter planes, and endless blowjobs from Parisian whores.
They were NOT attacked by the Russians, and had the British Expeditionary Force aiding them in battle, as well as Belgian troops when the French/British forces finally acted and joined forces when Belgium was attacked.

France lasted 35 days

Can someone explain this?
>>
>>324348

>Poland had no tanks

Wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7TP

They also made use of French built R 35s

> no modern air power

Wrong.

PZL 11s, 23s, and 37s.

> barely any artillery or anti-tank guns

They had well over a thousand field guns; I'm less sure about ATGs, but most armies would field similar numbers of each.

>France lasted 35 days

If you start counting from Fall Gelb, they lasted 45 days.

>Can someone explain this?

Field resistance in Poland ended extremely soon, and 10 days into the invasion, you only really had pockets of resistance in Warsaw and Lodz. City fighting takes a long time, you can't use a lot of the quickeners of modern war, air, artillery, armor to the same extent.

France surrendered when the field army got cut off and was in a hopeless position, without making futile gestures of city resistance.
>>
>>324348
>>324395
Additionally
>or anti-tank guns
They had a seizable amount of their own Wz.35 anti-tank rifles, it was extensively used by most Polish units.
>>
even if some of that info was wrong, Polands resistance was still pretty impressive.
the polish have always been fighters
>>
>Poland had no tanks, no modern air power, barely any artillery or anti-tank guns

0/10
>>
>>324395
>>324420

You're splitting hairs here. France had an incalculable superiority over Poland and yet lost in a similar time frame. That is without having to deal with a war on two front and with considerable support.

Add the Russians coming from an hypothetical Spain, no English and Belgians, and their land army might have fallen as fast.

This is beyond pathetic.

> without making futile gestures of city resistance.

Why did the poles do it in an even more hopeless situation? Are they more brave?
>>
>>324453
>Are they more brave?

If you knew the 20th century history of Europe at all you would know why the possibility of occupation was unthinkable for Poles.
>>
File: donatello uh whuuut.jpg (40 KB, 230x248) Image search: [Google]
donatello uh whuuut.jpg
40 KB, 230x248
>>324348
I know this isn't exactly related but
>people aren't aware that coco chanel was a collaborator
>there are chlildren's books about her, naturally geared towards girls and emphasizing how she was a strong AND stylish woman past her times
Triggered tbhlads
>>
>>324348
"The Battle of France" is actually a really interesting subject to study, I recommend reading about it.
>>
>>324453

>Why did the poles do it in an even more hopeless situation? Are they more brave?

Because Hitler didn't offer. He just wanted them stamped in a mud puddle.

And the impact of the Soviets was negligible. They didn't invade until the 17th, by which point the war was already lost against the Germans. It would be a lot like the Italian invasion actually making headway, sure it affects the colors on a map, but not the military significant part, they only joined in once someone else fought for them so they could grab what they could.
>>
File: 1515.png (186 KB, 324x885) Image search: [Google]
1515.png
186 KB, 324x885
>>324348
>>324395
OP is a pathetic butthurt fuck, he posted his meme thread on /int/ too and it saged with two replies lmao

>>>/int/51402028

And as the first post stated, Poland lasted 1 month and 5 days while France lasted 1 months and 15 days
France's performance in WW2 was already pathetic enough, one must REALLY be butthurt to feel the need to lie in order to make it look even worse
>>
>>324426
Poland wasn't impressive, their performance in WW2 was pathetic
Remember that the German army that attacked Poland wasnt the same as the one that attacked France.
They were badly equiped and had only a few tanks
Poilsh army was on par with them
Add to that the fact that the German pretty much single-handedly defeated Poland before the Soviets even got involved, and you have a pathetic Polish display.

The only thing that makes Poland looks okay is the fact that France, a country believed to have the best army in Europeat the time, performed as badly as them
>>
>>324348

Germany mobilized 60 divisions to invade Poland.

They mobilized 134 to invade France and the Low countries.

Can this thread end now?
>>
>>324493

Your butthurt is making me kek because I'm not even Swiss.

Why didn't you post there ? Afraid your french flag would be showing?
If you toil hard enough with the current state of the french economy you might be able to buy a 4chan pass in a few years down the line ;)
>>
>>324539
>Why didn't you post there ?

I did
Im the only reply in the thread that wasnt from you (and no Im not Korean, I'm Spanish and Im in Korea for work)
>>
>>324348
They were outflanked and didn't want to allow Paris to be bombed out like Warsaw recently was, so they just gave up once Plan A completely fell apart.

It's as simple as that.
>>
File: 1236441876340.jpg (54 KB, 616x421) Image search: [Google]
1236441876340.jpg
54 KB, 616x421
>>324348

Why are Americans still angry that Jacques Chirac didn't want to jump into the Iraq quagmire with them?
>>
>>324560
>It's as simple as that.

As simple as being cowards. ''Quick let's allow our entire armed force to be captured and enslaved to appease our german overlords''
>>
>>324493

The battle was mostly fought between German, Italian and Swiss mercenaries tho. Beyond the cavalry there were hardly any frenchman in those ranks.

For their small numbers I the mountain jews did pretty well.
>>
>>324581
As a Pole I think they've done the right thing. We gained nothing from resisting and lost an unimaginable lot.
>>
File: 1421517730818.jpg (356 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1421517730818.jpg
356 KB, 1280x960
>>324538
>tfw you realize that Poland's greatest pride is performing like France at its worst
>>
>>324603

Invent another comeback when you can properly communicate in English you monolingual baguette shagger.
>>
>>324493
>meme thread on /int
/int/ faggots should fuck off, this board is quickly becoming yet another country vs country circlejerk. Everyone is bitching about /pol/acks being here but they're nowhere near as bad as /int/.
>>
>>324604
No one cares bout the battle
The result is what mattered
Switzerland swearing eternal neutrality to France and continuing to apply that to this day
Never in history has a country been cvcked so hard by another one
>>
>>324581
The war was lost for France. All they stood to gain was having their heritage burned to the ground. France came out of the war largely intact simply because they didn't burn all their cities in an attempt to resist. England sure as hell wasn't prepared to lend a hand. All they could do at the time was make a mad dash to evacuate their forces before they were completely routed by Germany. So stop with the nationalistic chest beating.
>>
>>324605
The Poles back then didn't know that it would result in nothing. They were assured that the help will eventually come. Sadly it didn't resulting in what's called Western Betrayal now.
>>
>>324605
I'm neither French nor Polish, but I respect Petain way more than the Polish government of the time

While they fled like cowards, abandoning their people to the enemy, he stayed and faced the consequences of the defeat.
As a result, you have only a few thousands of civilian casualties for France as opposed to millions for Poland
>>
>>324663
>>324619
>>324603
>>>/int/
>>
>>324627

''Both parties agreed not to ally themselves with opponents of the other party in any future military conflict, and to seek diplomatic or judicial resolution of all future conflicts. Switzerland renounced all claim to Milan, while France paid 700,000 gold crowns to compensate the Swiss for their Dijon and Milanese campaigns. France offered another 300,000 crowns if the Swiss were willing to yield their transmontane territories, but this offer was declined. ''

Considering Switzerland is a small mountain shithole you would think negotiating on this level of equality with the biggest country in Europe is a p. impressive feat.

Your cu.ck memes belong on /pol/.
>>
>>324703
Fuck off nigger, you have an entire board where you can indulge in these kinds of shitfests.
>>
File: Le Old glory.jpg (51 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
Le Old glory.jpg
51 KB, 1280x853
>>324647

Most of the french conscripts spent 5 years in prison camps working for the Germans.

France was drained of all resources and subjected to intense allied bombing.

French people choose to their lives over their pride and freedom. This is why they are a cowardly people.
>>
>>324731
And do you also unironically think war is glorious?
>>
>>324757

Now you resort to switching tactics Pierre but whenever you can brag about your Italian general defeating a bunch of disunited feudal countries, you bring it up.
>>
>>324783
WTF are you talking about? I'm American. Why are you so butthurt about the French?
>>
>>324818

Nice try surrender san
>>
>>324854
What?
>>
>>324872
>>324854

Not even a Pollock or French but can you please take this fuckery where it belongs?
>>
>>324348
MAGINOT LINE, I'M VON MANSTEIN
>>
>>324348
stop trying to make Poland look good, they utterly failed in their defensive war against Germany even though they had better tanks and aircraft
>>
>>324348
>MUH WESTERN BETRAYAL
>>
>>324395

They had very little of all those things compared to Germany.
>>
File: 2azs.jpg (10 KB, 155x160) Image search: [Google]
2azs.jpg
10 KB, 155x160
Anyone has noticed how the post offensive toward Poland itt got deleted while those offensive toward France remained?
I wonder what nationality the mod could be
>>
>>326886
Maybe the mod just hate the french
>>
>>326891
Given that everyone does, the mod could be from anywhere.
>>
>Poland, a country the fraction the size of France
Stopped reading there.

>French population in 1939
>41 million

>Polish population in 1939
>35 million

Even proportionally to population, France held out longer than Poland.
>>
Why are Poles so hilariously ass-ravaged?
>>
>>324484
What's with fashion designers and Nazi collaboration?

The plot of Zoolander isn't too far fetched when literally every fashion designer in Europe didn't hesitate to help out the Nazis.
>>
>>324453
>You're splitting hairs here
Is correcting you abjectly wrong list of statements really "splitting hairs"?
>>
How many gears do French tanks have? Four in reverse and one forwards, in case they attack from the rear
>>
@327231
Haha LOL :-D
>>
>>327231
Very original, totally hasn't been repeated approximately 846849435151648984 times since 2003.
>>
>>327251
That's a lie, I just made that up
>>
>3 days earlier

SO FAST!!!
>>
Subtle anti-pole thread?
>>
>>326886

No one likes french people. One of the most mocked nationality in the world.
>>
File: Rzeczpospolita_Rozbiory_3[1].png (184 KB, 2000x1568) Image search: [Google]
Rzeczpospolita_Rozbiory_3[1].png
184 KB, 2000x1568
>>324453
>Are they more brave?
France hadn't been partitioned three times before, and was in no danger this time around either.
>>
Wasn't there some war where the French surrender so early that the other side hadn't even officially declared war yet?
>>
>>326957
because the last time they did something big, it was during the 1600s
>>
>>328450
In your imagination.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.