[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do the vast majority of people subscribe to a whiggish, progressive,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 9
File: 1448778681437[1].jpg (141 KB, 669x664) Image search: [Google]
1448778681437[1].jpg
141 KB, 669x664
Why do the vast majority of people subscribe to a whiggish, progressive, linear version of history?

Do the people using "IT'S 2015" as an argument even know what they are saying? They're Whigs without even knowing what that means.
>>
>>322288
People shoehorn stories into everything that happens over a time interval.
>>
>>322288

Such a /pol/ tier, person that just learned a new word 'history word' post.
>>
>>322323
Thanks for your insightful, intelligent contribution to this thread.
>>
>>322288
I'm rather certain that,
>20xx
>thing
>ishygddt
has been a staple around 4chan for some time
>>
Because they don't have the capacity to read and understand a complex analysis of history, so they stick with positivist crap like this.
>>
>>322606
the shiggy is a long forgotten dance my friend

>>323416
/thread
>>
>>322288
>Why do the vast majority of people subscribe to a whiggish, progressive, linear version of history?
Because they don't care enough about history to bother to research into obviously. Im sure there are things which you think are true but to the person knowledgeable in that area is clearly false and an annoyance to them that people like you accept that fact without doing research
>>
>>322288
Because under industrial society humans have experienced exponential rise in resources and people like to imagine this has something to do with their character or intelligence.
>>
>>322323
epic meme my friend
>>
>>322288
The world gets better and better, that's why. 2015 is the best time to live in history up until now.

Whig view = correct view.
>>
>>322288
When i was in college a bitch told me Christopher Columbus was the worst man alive even though he was a navigator who was barely a governor. Like she didn't know enough about history except what she was taught in school, that Christopher Columbus discovered the new world and le natives died. She didn't talk about people like Cortes probably because she didn't even know he existed.
>>
File: 2015.jpg (25 KB, 550x342) Image search: [Google]
2015.jpg
25 KB, 550x342
>>323629
>>
>>322347
It wasn't coming from you lmao
>>
>>322288
>>323629
The Whigs' successors are conservatives today and if the Whigs saw what would become of liberalism they probably would've jumped ship too.
>>
File: 1448805741702.jpg (50 KB, 550x342) Image search: [Google]
1448805741702.jpg
50 KB, 550x342
>>323636

anonymous martyr, pray for us.
>>
>>323633
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYTXRDtYzYc
>>
Because they don't realize they're making metaphysical assumptions.
>>
File: smug-ayy.png (123 KB, 503x503) Image search: [Google]
smug-ayy.png
123 KB, 503x503
>>323654
We didn't kill enough natives
>>
>>323654
lol it's so funny reading the comments and see all those people hate on CC without even naming one thing he did wrong
>>
>>322606
shiggy diggy is renowned as a tongue in cheek response
>>
File: malthusian-trap.jpg (35 KB, 500x351) Image search: [Google]
malthusian-trap.jpg
35 KB, 500x351
2015 IS the best we as the human race have had it. Whether or not there was steady progress over history to eventually make everything better is your own decision to make, but we've never had a better year than 2015.
>>
>>323692
Pass me the sauce, bubba, because this is difficult to swallow.
>>
File: Learnding.jpg (63 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
Learnding.jpg
63 KB, 500x377
>>322288
Can someone explain to me the use of 'Whig' here?

What does this have to do with the Whig party?
>>
>>324166
he learneda new word and wants to use it
>>
>>323692

>thinking the Great Divergence did not happen with the Carolingian Renaissance

FFS, what is it with historians of the early modern period and treating European history as though it started in 1492.
>>
>>322288
I fucking hate that argument. IT'S 2015!!!!

It's not like humans have magically evolved in the last centuries, we're still the same evil/good maniacs of old.
>>
>>324166
They were progressives and OP thinks the Whigs were the only progressive party in existence ever.

>>324433
Institutions have evolved m8.
>>
>>324479
>Institutions have evolved m8.
But they are social constructs. As soon as that construct dissolves, such as in a civil war or invasion, we all turn back into brutal savages no matter how moral we like to think of ourselves.

It's not time period that matters, it's social development, and social development isn't tied to the year, it's tied to the country, so saying "It's 2015!" means nothing at all.
>>
>>324497
>As soon as that construct dissolves
They never do. Revolutions mostly don't do away with everything that came before them. The Republic is the child of absolutism, not its polar opposite.
>we all turn back into brutal savages
[meme required]
>>
>>324511
Institutions never dissolve?

What the hell man. Culture, morality, doctrines, law, they change constantly, and they can collapse.

You're living in a dream world.
>>
>>324567
They change, broseph, but they do so over a long period of time. Revolutions are not the total rupture progressive history makes them out to be, they are only the unveiling of changes that may have taken centuries to happen.
>>
>>324567
>What the hell man. Culture, morality, doctrines, law, they change constantly, and they can collapse.

Just like Rome and the Dark Ages!!!
>>
>>324406
"Official" meme history is about le dark ages and sudden revival around 1492 and that is what people that don't have any interest in history beyond high school believe in.
>>
>>324584
Yeah but they do change. And not all countries are on the same level. There's just no rational basis for using the current year as an argument when human behavior isn't tied to the year, it doesn't get progressively more moral every year that goes by. It has in the west, but it's not because of the progression of time, it could start to decline too, and then we'd all say "It's not 2015!!"
>>
>>324597
Stop meming because you dont have a point.
>>
>>322288
Maybe they're not whigs, but hegelians, or marxists? Unless you're a full-blown reactionary, or a follower of the Frankfurt School, the notion of linear progress is pretty much inescapable.

Also, even if you don't believe in linear progress, the accusation of anachronism still carries some weight, as it is an accusation that you're out of touch with reality.
>>
>>322288
What, or who, are you referring to?
>>
Has anyone in the whole history of the world used ''Current year'' Argument until now?
>>
>>324650
>Yeah but they do change.
Wow, it's like it was my point in the first place!
>And not all countries are on the same level
Who fucking cares about backward places?
>human behavior isn't tied to the year
It most certainly is, a person now doesn't live like a person a century ago, who didn't live like a person two millenia ago. Claiming the opposite is just silly.
>It has in the west
Then what the fuck are you even arguing?
>>
>>323633
well, to be fair, Cortes isn't celebrated in America and doesn't have a national holiday named after him....
>>
Why does John Oliver makes /pol/ and /tv/ so butthurt? Is it the whole "British person criticizes American politics" thing?
>>
>>323692
Do you think all the muzzies flooding into Europe will help continue this trend?
>>
>>325585
I know, why would they dislike someone with such great foresight?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVgpR88zKLU
>>
>>325716
He doesn't have to have foresight. He's a comedian. His only job is to make people laugh. Treating him like anything more makes you no better than a purple haired soc dem.
>>
>>325716
You do realize he's just a comedian right? And he has a whole team of writers who write these stories for him?

He's just a talking head m8
>>
>>323666
>>323633

Columbus' treatment of the Hispaniola native was brutal, his soldiers raped, killed, and enslaved with impunity at every landing. When Columbus fell ill in 1495, soldiers were reported to have gone on a rampage, slaughtering 50,000 natives. Upon his recovery, Columbus organized his troops' efforts, forming a squadron of several hundred heavily armed men and more than twenty attack dogs. The men tore across the land, killing thousands of sick and unarmed natives. Soldiers would use their captives for sword practice, attempting to decapitate them or cut them in half with a single blow.
>>
>>325729
>>325727
If he's just a comedian then why does he insist on preaching his cuc.ky opinions so often?
>>
>>325727
>>325729
It doesn't matter if 'he's just a comedian!' because people actually listen to this kind of stuff thinking 'man, John Oliver really tells it like it is!'
>>
>>325773
Sounds like your problem is with his fans and not him. Focus your attention on the real problem: that so many people are willing to treat a comedian as a news source.
>>
>>325748
Because it's his job to appeal to his demographic of bleeding heart college students? He's a comedian with a political focus, but he's still just a funny man.
>>
Is this another "Columbus dindu nuffin" thread?
>>
>>322288
That picture is pure projection
>>
>>325745
>implying
>>
>>325745
At that time the Spaniards already gave the indigenous populations diseases which the natives turned on them for. I'm saying they were gud boys and dindu nuffin but like in Colonial America a lot of the hatred was created when certain tribes contracted diseases and started being hostile even attacking the colonists. I blame disease for the kind of mutual hatred that the tribes of the Americas and the explorers had for each other.
>>
>>325811
not saying*

Also that behavior has been around since the dawn of man and more have been raped/killed they're just not the ones people like to talk about today.
>>
>>325745
That's Hispaniola, not the United States. North American Indian getting butthurt about what happened in the west indies is like me getting butthurt about random african warlords who were doing the same shit 20 years ago.
>>325729
>You do realize he's just a comedian right
That's what people said about The Tonight Show too whenever they get called out for spewing shit. Unfortunately for us a lot of Americans don't treat them as comedy and take them as actual news
>>
>>322288
History is naturally a progressive thing
>>
>>325829
I'll say this again: the problem is the stupid audience not the comedian.
>>
>>325513
Claiming that people should all be moral upstanding citizens because its 2015 is silly. As i keep telling you, the year we are in has no bearing on human behavior, it's tied to the development of the country they live in.
>>
>>325788
Have you seen the traditional news lately? It's becoming more of a blurred line each day.
>>
>>324957
People used to say "it's the 20th century".

John Oliver doesnt use the meme half as much as 4chan does.
>>
>>322288

Short answer:

because in regards to quality of human life, and protection of human life, which the general populace (regardless of political leaning) seems to think is a defining characteristic of society has gone up.

The average human being has a higher quality of living than ever before in almost every imaginable way.

Human rights, and this "progressiveness" is apart of that.
>>
File: 1438634176361.jpg (35 KB, 482x480) Image search: [Google]
1438634176361.jpg
35 KB, 482x480
>>322288
>Do the people using "IT'S 2015" as an argument even know what they are saying?
literally never heard someone use this argument tbqh fàm
>>
>>326062
The new Canadian c.uck PM was asked why his cabinet is equal men and women and all he said was "it's 2016"
>>
>>326072
Oops
2015 not 2016
>>
>>324479
>They were progressives

Yeah, because they didn't like the idea of an absolute monarchy. I don't see the problem.
>>
File: 1432798805519.jpg (18 KB, 142x240) Image search: [Google]
1432798805519.jpg
18 KB, 142x240
>>322288
>>322288
Because the vast majority of people are dumbasses and the worst kind not only want to stay that way but actively drag others down there with them.
>>
>>324597
The Cultural Revolution shows pretty well that it can happen.
>>
>>325748

Mainly because Jon Stewart did it and was successful.

I would mention Bill Maher in that sentence too, but the fact is he's old left and hates the shit that the new left is about, because a lot of it is anti-comedy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNJyDyCocGQ
>>
>>326134

He's also a die hard zionist, and I'm not even /pol/.
>>
>>326152

Well yeah he's jewish. I mean I don't blame him in that regard. If he wasn't jewish then I'd be suspect.
>>
>>322606
People used to say "its the 90's get with the times"
>>
>>325874
>As i keep telling you
and you were wrong.
>the year we are in has no bearing on human behavior
Yes it does, behaviors and institutions change, and you yourself admitted it already, what are you even arguing?
>>
>>323431
how fucking new do you have to be to not know shiggy?
>>
File: 1344780986567.jpg (28 KB, 239x252) Image search: [Google]
1344780986567.jpg
28 KB, 239x252
>>322288
I fucking hate this argument. i can understand it if we are talking about stupid awful shit like stonning women to death for crimes and shit like this>>323636 but when some progressive cunt tries to revisionist history, it pisses me off. in fact i hate when both left and right try to revision history.
>>
>whiggish
Look who learned a new word today
>>
Progress is such a ridiculous concept. People who (rightly) reject a teleologic view of human evolution blindly accept a teolological view of human morality.
>>
history makes sense if you believe in basins of attraction, bub
>>
>>322298
Nice.
>>
>>326299
>2011
>Shiggying
>ishygddt
>>
>>325841
Prove it
>>
>>326881
>lol I dont know what it means so I bet he doesn't either
>>
>>327500
>Implying calling things whiggish isn't an epic new meme
>>
>>327505
>new
H Butterfield (1931) _The Whig Interpretation of History_ 1261 citations ( https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiWhL_Hg7fJAhXGGaYKHcdRBwcQzgIIMTAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fscholar.google.com%2Fscholar%3Fum%3D1%26ie%3DUTF-8%26lr%26cites%3D14413219883716885024&usg=AFQjCNElotXZps5oFk_tkAPo1O7cttZd1g&sig2=i4ZrblnU4QUilhpmXxdA4w)
>>
>>322323

Note the surprising absence of the word "teleological"
>>
>>327505

The now defunct proto-early Lincoln Republican Whigs were the best political party in U.S. history, prove me wrong
>>
>>327505
getting pretty wiggish mate

it just sounds so british
>>
because kant
>>
>>325710
What if I told you that, in the large scale of things, both them and you are insignificant to this trend?
>>
>2015
>having a nostalgic view of history

Privileged heterosexual white male detected.
>>
>>328366
The fact that there are large groups of people that would find this post meaningful triggers me to no end.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.