[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did this man ever exist?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
Did this man ever exist?
>>
>>319074
No, and Exodus didn't happen.
>>
>>319074
>read ancient book
>don't know who wrote most of it
>don't even know where they got their information
>has tons of magic and unbelievable shit in it

Yes, it totally happened.
>>
File: Purity Victory.jpg (428 KB, 1200x1118) Image search: [Google]
Purity Victory.jpg
428 KB, 1200x1118
No, but he might one day exist.
>>
when did exodus happen according to bible? 1000 bc?
>>
>>319106
Kek.
>>
>>319196
Moses was born about 1690 BC, supposedly.
>>
>>321617
But that's wrong. Archaeological evidence should have found some kind of evidence for a mass migration of millions of people from Egypt to the Levant and Egyptian records should mention some kind of hint as to anything in Exodus happening but they don't. There is no absence of evidence, all evidence points to it the absence.
>>
>>321907
>Millions

Not that guy but it was 40k in the children's book
>>
>>321974
Not that guy, but you should consider Stoicism to help you let go of all that anger.
>>
>>321907
>exactly 2 million people did not migrate to israel
>therefore, there was never a mass migration to israel
>>
Probably not. I'd guess that Moses functions as some kind of anthropomorphism of early Hebrew Nomadism in Egypt controlled Canaan, and the gain of Territory that happened in the wake of Egyptian loss of that land.
>>
>>319088
Eh, anything south of Joshua, everything including Judges and later, is probably historical in the same sense the Iliad is.

You don't want to write it off completely like the Krauts did Homer, because some of it is actually backed up.

Guess what, the Ancients used to interject gods into their histories, that doesn't make them wrong.
>>
>>319074
He did, just not as you were taught.
>>
>>322051
Eh, sort of fits, actually if you throw out the timeline.

The Hebrews did actually think they were a Sumerian offshoot instead of Canaanites
>>
>>322033
Here you go, friend:

https://youtu.be/yXcmkSqAqTI
>>
>>322051
>that image
>implying
Sargon's mum was a high priestess and sent her kid down the river for her to keep her position, not to save her kid. Also Sargon was "set adrift in a river" and Moses was placed among reeds, which is comparatively much more safe than being "set adrift in a river". I know there are a lot of similar stories among the ancient world involving babies abandoned inside baskets/boxes etc, but that one is a really bad one to use to back up your argument
>>
>>321907
Who are the Hyksos?
>>
>>322134
Yeah, this where the debate really lies. The exodus narrative from the bible doesn't have much to support it, but there are a bunch of historically attested events, trends and people that seem to suggest elements of it. The Habiru, the Hyksos, the Amarna period, the bronze age collapse. Nothing's a perfect fit but you can sort of see how events over a period of a few centuries could have been conflated into a unified oral origin story.
>>
>>321974
>peer reviewed source

Read anything by Israel Finkelstein about the Exodus. The Bible Unearthed is a somewhat popularized version of his scholarship, but it's the same information as his academic writings, he gives citations for everything, and it's the easiest book to find about critical biblical archaeology (in other words, writings based on actual research and not just parroting the Bible, which a lot of near eastern archaeology does).

There's no evidence of an Exodus happening. Plenty of people accept that now, including Rabbi David Wolpe, who's basically the most prominent Jewish leader in America; I think Pope Francis even admitted that the Exodus probably didn't happen somewhat recently.
>>
>>322187
The records from then are pretty damn sparse, some pharaohs we only know existed because of one inscription.

There's not much to support Exodus, but that's so much because there is some replete history that doesn't mention it exhaustively, it's rather because there is hardly any history to work with to describe such an event. Would Egypt even bother to record it? Probably not, and if were remotely like the Exodus account in actuality, the Egyptians sure as hell would not want to tell it that way, it would have to be tailored into propaganda, Moses would be some ruthless warlord who lead immigrants against Egypt and was defeated the pharaoh and had to retreat, or something along those lines.
>>
>>322247
*defeated by the pharaoh
>>
>>322233
Hold up there's an actual person named Israel finkelstein or are you just fucking with us
>>
>>322233
>>322247
Guys we didn't find any jars that are 5000 years old to corroborate this so basically this is all false.

>millennials accept this

DESU old testament scholarship is a joke. Just meme atheists attempting to be smart. You'd be just as retarded believing them as believing the bible.

>note I do believe the bible but I'm not pretending its objectively true like they are.
>>
>>321907
The Qur'an indicates that it wasn't on the scale of millions but a large group, maybe in the hundreds or thousands:
By inspiration we told Moses: "Travel by night with my servants; for surely ye shall be pursued." Then Pharaoh sent heralds to (all) the cities, (saying): "These (Israelites) are but a small band (Arabic - lashir-dhimatun qaliluna), "And they are raging furiously against us; "But we are a multitude amply fore-warned."
[26: 52-56]
so it would make sense that there is no record of a huge number of people - and it wouldn't make sense for pharoah's troops only catching up at the point of crossing.
>>
>>319074

No.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/archeology-hebrew-bible.html
>>
Yes, there probably was, although not as described in the Bible. The man we now know as Moses was actually an Egyptian chancellor of Canaan. He was actually called Ramesse Khamenteru, or Beya. He probably led a rebellion against his Egyptian rulers, and this rebellion was later clothed in the mythology of the Exodus
>>
>>322051

>plagiarized

HURRRRDÖRRRDURRR
>>
>>321907
Patterns of Evidence proves you wrong :^)
>>
File: lol15.jpg (88 KB, 452x640) Image search: [Google]
lol15.jpg
88 KB, 452x640
>>323469
>>
>>319088

That's literally what they said about the city of Troy. Don't knock the ancient sources.
>>
>>322066
>The Hebrews did actually think they were a Sumerian offshoot instead of Canaanites
What
>>
>>319074

For the last time, there is an abundance of documentation from reliable sources proving the existence of Charlton Heston. Stop being edgy.
>>
>>321907
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akhenaten#Akhenaten_and_Judeo-Christian-Islamic_monotheism
or
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyksos
are both valid theories lad.
>>
>>322051
Dude babies being left in baskets on floating rivers is a staple of indo-european mythology
Romulus&Remus
Egyptian mythology
Sumerian mythology
Jewish mythology
Hindu mythology
and Im sure there's more.
>>
>>323484
What point are you even trying to make?
It's an accepted fact that Troy never existed
>>
>>323775

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy
>>
>>322157

It says exactly what he wanted it to say, which is some Stoic philosophy to help you through your dark times, my friend.
>>
>>323788
>wikipedia
>>
>>323796

I struggle to believe there are people on /his/ quite as retarded as you.
>>
>>323869
>ad hoineiem
>>
>>323915

I can't believe you just bought up logical fallacies in defence of making a genetic fallacy about what is essentially a link to a page full of references.

Deary me, kill yourself my man!
>>
>>323927
>you
>white
>>
>>323950

Great argument for Troy not existing you've got there.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.