[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would the world be like if the Roman Empire never fell and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: 1446644717555.png (868 KB, 2000x2800) Image search: [Google]
1446644717555.png
868 KB, 2000x2800
>>
>>317258
There would still be a pagan roman empire.
>>
It would be exactly the way it was 2000 years ago.
>>
>>317258
Rome was a period of stagnation, so it would inevitably fell at some point. Some neighbor would finally catch up and fucked them.
>>
>>317265
Wasn't it Christianity that stagnated the Romans?
>>
>>317265
>if it never fell, it would eventually fall
I'm not sure if this is beautiful or retarded.
>>
Some people would be posting on an internet image board typing shitty alt-history threads in Latin about what the world would be like if the Roman empire had collapsed 1500 years ago.
>>
>>317265
Civilisations that have reached stagnation can stay like that for thousands of years, just look at China or India or Egypt.
>>
>>317269
Pedicabo ego haec roman Iudaeorum
>>
>>317267
No.
>>
>>317276
I always heard that the Romans grew indifferent because they no longer believed in life after death.
>>
>>317280
Nothing in that post makes any sense.
>>
>>317272
Until someone new arrives and fucks them.
>>
>>317280

And where did you hear that?

Not to mention it wasn't some sudden massive leap in beliefs about the afterlife. Christian theology about the afterlife developed over centuries, plenty of it influenced by the Romans' own beliefs.

And what do you mean by 'indifferent'?
>>
>>317280
You heard wrong, the roman citizens saw no reason to fight for an empire, when they believed in the afterlife being more important.
>>
>>317289
Indifferent about the progression of the roman empire.

>>317292
>the roman citizens saw no reason to fight for an empire, when they believed in the afterlife being more important.
This is exactly what I meant.
>>
>>317267
No.Rome was in decline before Christianism became influential.

For all the crap Christians get for "destroying pagan philosophy", the last great pagan philosopher, Epictetus, died over 150 years before Constantine became Emperor.
>>
Rome would fell anyway because how incredibly corrupt/volatile it was and Muslims would have got balls deep into Europe without christianity acting as a cohesive force among europeans.
>>
>>317296
>the last great pagan philosopher, Epictetus

Wasn't Plotinus (d. 270) the last important philosopher?
>>
>>317300
Rome also fell in 387BC when the Gauls invaded, the difference is, after each crisis, Rome picked itself back up again, until the christian emperors started to rule.
>>
>>317303
Plotinus wasn't really a pagan anymore iirc.
>>
>>317300
>Muslims would have got balls deep into Europe without christianity acting as a cohesive force among europeans.
I don't think so. Byzantines would still be existing without Christianity due to relative economic stability be a major contributing factor in maintaining overall stability. That being said, they will still act as an effective buffer between Europe and the invading Muslims. On the west side, despite being converted to Christianity, the remnants of the former Western Roman Empire were divided among the tribes (Franks, Visigoths, Ostrogoths). I'm pretty sure tribal affiliation and common language might have been more of the cohesive factor than religion was.
>>
>>317258
They would whorship Isis, Mithras instead of Jesus Christ. Maybe they would follow Zoroaster, Budha an Jesuscrist at the same time, though is unlikely because manicheism was pacifist to an extreme that christianity cannot dream of.

Anyways, if you expected it to be pretty different, you would be dissapointed. The empire selected and transformed christianity according to it's desires, not the other way around.
>>
>>317308
There were Christian Emperors until 1453
>>
Rome never fully recovered from the crisis of the, third century, guys like Constantine and Diocletian should be praised for managing to keep the clusterfuck together, it continued falling from there
>>
>>317292
>>317280
Daily reminder that the Eastern Roman Empire was more Christian than the West and lasted longer.
>>
>>317273
pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo, cinaede anon
>>
>>317416
Being part of an extended trade route that spans across Asia sure helps a lot in maintaining armies to defend your territories.
>>
>>317313
Plotinus was into the esoteric, but definitely still a pagan.
>>
We still live within the Roman Empire.
>>
File: startrekbreadandsurfaces.png (93 KB, 446x335) Image search: [Google]
startrekbreadandsurfaces.png
93 KB, 446x335
>>317269

pretty much this
>>
File: jesus-3.jpg (179 KB, 1178x1073) Image search: [Google]
jesus-3.jpg
179 KB, 1178x1073
>>317258
As much as I don't exactly agree with Rome and Christianity as one...

>Of Rome and Christianity never came together

We would have a lot less people who know Jesus.

Jesus came to say "God is with us, and we can know Him" as Jesus was also a spiritual master initiating students into self realization and selfless devotion to God
>>
>>317265
This. Plus it was only a matter of time until the rest of the world caught up with them. In fact, you could definitely blame Rome's expansion for hastening that process. They taught a lot of their shit to a lot of people who eventually used it against them.

I wish they had stuck around for a lot longer though. It could have been pretty amazing seeing a more advanced Rome go up against the Ottomans.
>>
>>317424
It also helps a lot in becoming christian faster.
>>
>>317409
Aurelian deserves some serious credit for helping to end the crisis as well. He gets overlooked far too often, and I would argue that his contributions were what allowed Diocletian and Constantine to do what they did.
>>
>>317258
It still would have fell. Rome was a decaying empire, it's people grew complacent. Kind of like a lot of western nations today.

>>319691
>They taught a lot of their shit to a lot of people who eventually used it against them.
No shit. And in turn the learned a lot of shit from people that they fought against. i.e. shipbuilding from the Carthaginians. People reacting to other people is all what history consist of.
>>
>The day Rome fell

what must that have felt like?

I guess we will know in our lifetimes when Europe falls.
>>
File: carl-sagan.jpg (20 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
carl-sagan.jpg
20 KB, 300x250
What would the Middle east be like if Sassanid Persia never fell and never adopted Islam?
>>
>>317258
Some other Mystery-esque cult would've become as popular as Christianity was in this universe: mythras, isis, etc.
>>
>>317258
I'd imagine the mediterranean would be like India today. Disparate cultures but a united civic identity.
>>
>>319748
Yeah, but Rome had a habit of creating their own enemies in a way that was pretty uncommon for the time.
>>
>>317258
Probably like China
>>
Everything would be accelerated. Basically what started in the 1500s with philosophy and science would only start happening in the 1,000s or even earlier.

Why? Because what triggered the Renaissance was the rediscovery of the Greek text and roman texts, it was actually started by the Muslims of all people after conquering Europe and invented scholasticism. If Roman never fell and never became Christians they already have the texts.
>>
>What would the world be like if the Roman Empire never fell
see China

>Never adopted Chritianity
probably the same but with gladiators and the emperors would still be gods
>>
File: Wewius Ladius.jpg (199 KB, 685x567) Image search: [Google]
Wewius Ladius.jpg
199 KB, 685x567
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.