[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Name a better inventor than him. Protip: You can't.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 15
File: Thomas_Edison.jpg (21 KB, 220x344) Image search: [Google]
Thomas_Edison.jpg
21 KB, 220x344
Name a better inventor than him.
Protip: You can't.
>>
>>31297
Inb4 le tesla meme
>>
File: youmadethisImadethis.jpg (136 KB, 460x767) Image search: [Google]
youmadethisImadethis.jpg
136 KB, 460x767
>>
>>31297
>better
History is about "is" not "ought."
>>
File: Sir_Tim_Berners-Lee.jpg (485 KB, 1600x1066) Image search: [Google]
Sir_Tim_Berners-Lee.jpg
485 KB, 1600x1066
Shame that not many people know about him.
>>
File: Nicéphore Niépce.jpg (47 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
Nicéphore Niépce.jpg
47 KB, 450x600
Nicéphore Niépce.

This guy invented both photography and the internal combustion engine.

Meanwhile Eddison didn't actually invent a single thing, he was a businessman.
>>
File: N.Tesla.jpg (420 KB, 724x947) Image search: [Google]
N.Tesla.jpg
420 KB, 724x947
>>31318
>>31297
>People mock one of the greatest Croatian men in history simply to be contrarians

Name one thing Edison did that he didn't steal from someone more intelligent.
>>
>>31908
The phonograph. Get fucked, teslafag.
>>
>Tesla was offered the task of completely redesigning the Edison Company's direct current generators. In 1885, he said that he could redesign Edison's inefficient motor and generators, making an improvement in both service and economy. According to Tesla, Edison remarked, "There's fifty thousand dollars in it for you—if you can do it." This has been noted as an odd statement from an Edison whose company was stingy with pay and who did not have that sort of cash on hand. After months of work, Tesla fulfilled the task and inquired about payment. Edison, saying that he was only joking, replied, "Tesla, you don't understand our American humor." Instead, Edison offered a US$10 a week raise over Tesla's US$18 per week salary; Tesla refused the offer and immediately resigned.
>people praise this faggot
>>
>>31908
>implying Edison was an inventor

He was more of an engineer. You might as well compare a painter and a sculpter.

No, Edison didn't invent a lot (or even most) of the things he's credited for, but he DID make them better, cheaper, and more reliable. I don't know where this circle jerk for Tesla came from. Aside from AC current, Tesla just invented gizmos and had interesting theories. Marconi and Bell invented things way more relevant today than the autistic, celibate, neurotic Tesla ever did.
>>
>>31870
Edison Invented the Apple's business model. Big speaker, skilled businessman, a complete dick with science or tech.
Steve Jobs didn't invent shit.
Even Zuckerberg knew how to code some php and fiddle with mysql for his university.

>>31908
Oh it's also not right to attribute Tesla a lot of inventions, he just put in application things from Marconi, Maxwell, and the fathers of electricity and electronics. As an electronician I guarantee you you cannot put a big antenna and give free power like that, it's bullshit.
>>
>>31932
Actually that was Édouard-Léon Scott de Martinville.

>Find someone else's work
>Make a few insignificant changes and put oyur name on it
>Patent it and say you invented it yourself
>Everyone thinks you're a genius
>>
File: inventors.png (328 KB, 1350x1324) Image search: [Google]
inventors.png
328 KB, 1350x1324
These are the greatest inventors in Western history, based on actual world-changing inventions.
>>
>>32011
>Phonautograph
>Records sound
>Can't play it back
Yeah, sounds like an insignificant change to add a playback feature to me.
>>
>>31908
>croatian

epic meme
>>
>>31318
But he was better,marginally in fact.
>>
>>32000
>Aside from AC current, Tesla just invented gizmos and had interesting theories
>has more than 342 patents assigned to his name,would've been more if his intellectual property wasn't assigned to others with more suitable names

Colonial education at it's finest.You didn't just abuse his intellect,you're also giving yourself the right to ridicule him after his death.

> he just put in application things from Marconi, Maxwell, and the fathers of electricity and electronics

You mean he overcame the simplicity of his predecessors and actually did something for the fields of electricity and electronics?

> based on actual world-changing inventions
And yet for some reason,Tesla tends to overshadow them with his"pitiful and unimportant inventions

Just stop using his inventions,i'm sure you'll do well without them.
>>
>>32803
>patents are anything but proof of concept

You realize anyone can file a patent for anything, right? I can patent an electric dick drill, it doesn't mean I invented it or it has any practical use.

Also
>Colonial education at it's finest
>it's
>>
>>
>>35522
John Moses Browning: America's Mozart
>>
Reminder that Edison killed an elephant and invented the electric chair.
>>
>>31297
To give Edison credit, he did create the concept of R&D and revolutionized modern engineering. That's more valuable than anything Tesla contributed.
>>
File: James Watt.jpg (20 KB, 354x450) Image search: [Google]
James Watt.jpg
20 KB, 354x450
The GOAT

prove me wrong
>>
File: feed me more.png (54 KB, 201x232) Image search: [Google]
feed me more.png
54 KB, 201x232
>>31297
>edison
>inventor
Pick one, and only one.
>>
>>33266
The difference between Tesla and Edison in that department is that Tesla wanted to protect his intellectual property,while Edison wanted to make profit on someone else's work.
>>
>>32160
Watt is the only man that should be listed with regards to the Steam Engine. Every model before the Watt Steam Engine was an expensive, inefficient novelty. It was Watt's engine that initiated the industrial revolution.
>>
>>38198
Watt didn't invent the steam engine, he invented the separate condenser. This was a significant improvement, but I'd say the most significant invention was still, you know, the actual steam engine.
>>
File: MTE1ODA0OTcxNjMyNzg5MDA1.jpg (60 KB, 620x620) Image search: [Google]
MTE1ODA0OTcxNjMyNzg5MDA1.jpg
60 KB, 620x620
>>31297
>>
File: america does it again.jpg (92 KB, 471x490) Image search: [Google]
america does it again.jpg
92 KB, 471x490
>>35522
A real american hero.
>>
>>38437

I think the main thing it shows is that while there are lots of great engineers and scientists the idea that there really are inventors that genuinely magic great products out of nowhere rather than slightly improve on something and make it financially viable or simply get there first ahead of competitors as mankind's technology improves is laughable.

You only need to look at the arguments over who invented the car, or the TV, or the lightbulb or the telephone to see this.

That's not to downplay any of the brilliant work any of these people have done, I'm just saying literally everyone is standing on the shoulders of giants.
>>
>>38934
Yeah but there are a few inventions that really are groundbreaking and that change the world.
>>
>>38437
But it was Watt's Steam Engine that bestowed macro-historic importance on the Steam Engine. Its like saying the man that invented the scooter has more right to the legacy of the bicycle than the inventor of the bicycle itself.
>>
>>32160
More like Penis Dapin
>>
>>39213
>But it was Watt's Steam Engine that bestowed macro-historic importance on the Steam Engine.

It is true that he made it practical enough to be a significant part of the Industrial Revolution, but as others have said, he merely improved an existing device.

His contribution was key, but once again, he stood on a long line of shoulders.

The guys who invented the transistor came fairly close to creating something out of whole cloth.
>>
le tesla xDD
>>
>>39032
>groundbreaking
are you talking about the invention of the shovel?
>>
File: mehmet my son.png (453 KB, 431x824) Image search: [Google]
mehmet my son.png
453 KB, 431x824
>>32160
>the telephone, radio, and light bulb somehow aren't world-changing inventions
Also what the fuck is Turkey doing in my captcha.
>>
>>39591

The list appears to be in chronological order, so it makes sense. The actual list probably includes those inventions and many more that came later on.
>>
>>31297
I bet my ass US govermant has a tesla death ray somewhere at Area 51
>>
>>40158

I believe you are looking for >>>/x/, kind sir.
>>
>>40281
> greatest inventor of all time couldn't plan a death ray during his lunch
Top kek
>>
File: Leonardo da Vinci.jpg (137 KB, 500x708) Image search: [Google]
Leonardo da Vinci.jpg
137 KB, 500x708
People with remarkable accomplishments in more than one field are very rare throughout history, that's why this guy is so popular.
>>
>>40158
He had sketches and diagram and he made several smaller models,but that's it.

>>39591
And the Alternating Current.The only reason why he is being denied is because he is Nikola Tesla,a dirty subhuman from the Balkan Peninsula.
>>
>>40764
Tesla was a clown who stole ideas from other people and then accused them of stealing from him. AC induction motors are a good example of that because the inventor Galileo Ferraris made a public demonstration of it in 1885, and people working for Westinghouse(Tesla's company) witnessed and reported it in the same year, Tesla would apply for a patent 2 years later and later claim priority on court based on the argument the "he dreamed of it" before Ferraris.

William Stanley, one of America's earliest AC pioneers:
"I myself have seen the original motors, models, and drawings made by Ferraris in 1885, have personally talked with the men who saw these models in operation and heard Ferraris explain them at that date." - from a letter to the Electrical Review on March 16, 1903 [Electrical Review, Volume 42. 1903. Pg. 415]
http://edisontechcenter.org/GalileoFerraris.html
>>
>>39591
>the telephone, radio, and light bulb somehow aren't world-changing inventions

They are but no inventor made more than very incremental progress with any of those, so none of them can be ascribed to a single inventor.

Since we're talking about great inventors and not great inventions, inventions that were collaborative work of too many people can't be counted.
>>
File: 1424092432723.png (48 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1424092432723.png
48 KB, 500x500
>>32160
I wonder who could be behind this post...
>>
>>31297
He was the Steve Jobs of his time
Didn't invent a thing took all the credit
>>
>>35522
Best inventor.
>>
>>32160
http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/poverty-matters/2014/apr/01/norman-borlaug-humanitarian-hero-menace-society

"Few people at the time considered the profound social and ecological changes that the revolution heralded among peasant farmers. The long-term cost of depending on Borlaug's new varieties, said eminent critics such as ecologist Vandana Shiva in India, was reduced soil fertility, reduced genetic diversity, soil erosion and increased vulnerability to pests.

Not only did Borlaug's 'high-yielding' seeds demand expensive fertilisers, they also needed more water. Both were in short supply, and the revolution in plant breeding was said to have led to rural impoverishment, increased debt, social inequality and the displacement of vast numbers of peasant farmers," he wrote.

The political journalist Alexander Cockburn was even less complimentary: "Aside from Kissinger, probably the biggest killer of all to have got the peace prize was Norman Borlaug, whose 'green revolution' wheat strains led to the death of peasants by the million."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug#Wheat_research_in_Mexico
>>
>>45741
PREACH
>>
>>45741
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haber_process#Economic_and_environmental_aspects

The Haber process, also called the Haber–Bosch process, is an artificial nitrogen fixation process and is the main industrial procedure for the production of ammonia today.[1] It is named after its inventors, the German chemists Fritz Haber and Carl Bosch, who developed it in the first half of the twentieth century.

When it was first invented, the Haber process needed to compete against another industrial processes, the Cyanamide process. However, the Cyanamide process consumed large amounts of electrical power and was more labor-intensive than the Haber process.[9]:137–143

The Haber process now produces 450 million tonnes (440,000,000 long tons; 500,000,000 short tons) of nitrogen fertilizer per year, mostly in the form of anhydrous ammonia, ammonium nitrate, and urea. 3–5% of the world's natural gas production is consumed in the Haber process (~1–2% of the world's annual energy supply).[15][16][17][18] In combination with pesticides, these fertilizers have quadrupled the productivity of agricultural land:

With average crop yields remaining at the 1900 level the crop harvest in the year 2000 would have required nearly four times more land and the cultivated area would have claimed nearly half of all ice-free continents, rather than under 15% of the total land area that is required today.[19]

Due to its dramatic impact on the human ability to grow food, the Haber process served as the "detonator of the population explosion", enabling the global population to increase from 1.6 billion in 1900 to today's 7 billion.[20] Nearly 80% of the nitrogen found in human tissues originated from the Haber-Bosch process.[21] Since nitrogen use efficiency is typically less than 50%,[22] our heavy use of industrial nitrogen fixation is severely disruptive to our biological habitat.[21][2]
>>
>>32160
>gutenberg
the chinese had invented it earlier, it just didnt work well with their 2,000 symbols
>Pascal
His calculator was hard to buildband way too expensive. Nobody used it.
>Papin
His steam engine was dogshit, Watt made it decent but no Watt is a fraud because he was just a businessman.
>Cugnot
Again it was utter shit. That guy who stood on a drone to make a 30 second hoverboard flight, will we be celebrating him over the guy in the future who eventually makes the true antigravity back to the future version?
>Montgolfier
When we say aircraft we mean heavier than air
>Faraday
He did experiments he never made anythingnpractical and reliable

Yes all thes people were amasing thinkers but they dontndeserve more credit than people like Edison and Jobs who made already existing but crappy things practical and useful. as i mentioned with the hoverboard guy its funny because today when people make first steps its always derided as useless and stupid when the guys who make it practicalbin the futurebget attacked for stealing the idea that the public trashed anyway.
>>
>>39591
>Also what the fuck is Turkey doing in my captcha.
Because Turkey is delicious, and Thanks Giving (US) is just around the corner
>>
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 800x568) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 800x568
This guy here
>>
>>46035
>supplied the explosives for world war 1
Nevar forget
>>
>>46653
well again hes another guy who never actually invented it but made it practical. Is he more or lessimportant than Goddard? Its impossible to say.
>>
>>35522
I love how he's an unofficial saint of Mormonism but they need to upgrade their shit and make him an official saint, their St. Michael or St. George. Did you know a duel is legally binding in Utah if both actors use a 1911?
>>
>>31297
That's a really roundabout way of making a Tesla thread.
>>
http://www.scienceheroes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=258&Itemid=232

Edward Jenner-(Vaccination - Smallpox)
Lives Saved: 530,000,000

Linn Enslow & Abel Wolman-(Chlorination of Water)
Lives Saved: 177,000,000

Linn Enslow, a chemist, met fellow scientist Able Wolman while studying at Johns Hopkins. Together, while working at the Maryland Department of Public Health, they devised a method of standardizing the use of chlorine to purify water. Though chlorination was already in use on a limited basis, it was Wolman's process that allowed purifying water through chlorination to become widespread
>>
>>37971
Gee whiz muh elephant got imported from africa just to be shot with lightning, there certainly can't be more to that story, can there?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topsy_(elephant)
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.