[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So the other day I decided to pick up Thus Spoke Zarathustra,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 1406767805576.jpg (104 KB, 524x400) Image search: [Google]
1406767805576.jpg
104 KB, 524x400
So the other day I decided to pick up Thus Spoke Zarathustra, not sure who the translation is done by but fucking hell.
This entire book reads as smoothly as a river of bricks, getting through even a single sentence is clunky and a struggle for me.
Is this something commonly complained about, or did the translator just fuck up horribly?
>>
/lit
>>
Starting with Zarathustra is probably the biggest mistake people make when they begin reading Nietzsche.
>>
>>310847
What in holy hell... Nietzsche had a time machine?
>>
Have you read German philosophy before? Or let me guess you read one wikipedia article on nihilism and decided to pick up Nietzsche's most esoteric work.

Sage for flaming faggotry.
>>
>>310857
What do you think is the Best book to start with?
>>
>>310864

I've read Schopenhauer and picked up on Nietzsche mostly to confirm/deny my thought of all German philosophers just being horribly depressed virgins.
>>
>>310874
You should read feuerbach and hegel too
>>
>>310865
Genealogy of Morals probably
Or a good secondary source, Kaufmann or so.
>>
>>310847
To bounce back on this. I've begun reading Wittgenstein "tractatus logico-philosophus". Nieztche seems easy as fuck to read in comparison.

That Wittgenstein book is the definition of elitism.
>>
>>311047
Maybe, but you shouldn't approach N the same way to you W. Completely different style and argumentation.
>>
>startibg with Thus Spoke Zarathustra

How about you start with an introduction book first?
>>
>The active faculty of the human mind, as the Faculty of Desire in its widest sense, is the Power which man has, through his mental representations, of becoming the cause of objects corresponding to these representations. The Capacity of a Being to act in conformity with ihs own representations is what constitutes the Life of such a Being

Kant is a fucking fraud too. Dude opens his book with those two statement. Not only are they needlessly convoluted, but he doesn't even prove anything about them.
I can't into Philosophy...
>>
>>310847
As a German, the translation must be royally fucked up. As insane and self contradictory the guy was, he was was a literary master.
>>
>>310874
Schopenhauer is very surface level badly thought out which is also why he's not taken seriously. And Nietzsche has the same problems with him as you do. He critisizes his Nihilism4

>But anon, NIetzsche is a Nihilist!

Read a fucking book
>>
What's the best English translation of his work?
>>
Does /his/ agree that Hegel was a hack?
>>
>>311104
Kaufman is pretty good but take his commentary notes with a grain of salt. Penguin's versions are pretty good too.
>>
>>311104
stanford university press are doing his complete works in scholarly editions RN. you can however get most of his work cheap in 3 collections: The Portable Nietzsche (from viking), Basic Writings of Friedrich Nietzsche (modern library), and The Will To Power by Vintage. I think it leaves out twilight of the idols, the gay science, the anti-christ, and human all too human but you can track those down too
>>
>>311107
No. Kill yourself. He knew everything unlike the ultimate Marx.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.