[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why was he hated during the war? why is he loved now?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: winstonchurchill.jpg (136 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
winstonchurchill.jpg
136 KB, 1200x1200
why was he hated during the war? why is he loved now?
>>
>>310669

Eternal Anglo detected.
>>
>>310669

Because people didn't know he won the war.

Because he won the war.
>>
>>310675
ummm lol?
>>
>>310669
>Wacky character is running the country
What the fuck are we as a country doing?
>Wacky character was running the country
Anyone else kinda miss the guy?

It happens everywhere
>>
He was admired during the war. Before that he was only known for Gallipoli.
Anyway when the Allies won, people were simply tired of war and he was already a symbol. Of course his replacement was even worse.
He's loved now because of the same reason he lost his position. He was a symbol.
Also it's interesting how his career parallels Chamberlain's. Churchill had his own appeasement but with Stalin. He was criticised even by the members of his own party (like future PM Alec Douglas-Home) for betraying his allies. Politics of the final days of WWII are really interesting but people don't talk about it because they'd rather remember only the noble things.
>>
>>310688
>simply tired of war and he was already a symbol

The fact he was agitating for another war to wipe communism off the face of Europe certainly didn't win him any fans in 1945 Britain.
>>
>>310669
He's still hated here in Ireland for his perfidiousness, in Australia they hate him because of Gallipoli. I assume Kurds hate him too.
>>
>>310669
>why was he hated during the war?

A string of bloody failures like Singapore and Sicily.

> why is he loved now?

Good propaganda and British revisionism.
>>
For being a war monger.

For winning the war.
>>
>>310688
His wartime speeches were pretty amazing.

Just in case someone on /his/ somehow doesn't know them.

>“I would say to the House, as I said to those who have joined this Government: I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat. We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering. You ask, what is our policy? I can say: It is to wage war, by sea, land and air, with all our might and with all the strength that God can give us; to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalogue of human crime. This is our policy. You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: It is victory, victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be, for without victory, there is no survival.”

>“Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous states have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.”
>>
>>311537
>“The battle of France is over. I expect that the Battle of Britain is about to begin. Upon this battle depends the survival of Christian civilisation. Upon it depends our own British life, and the long continuity of our institutions and our Empire. The whole fury and might of the enemy must very soon be turned upon us. Hitler knows that he will have to break us in this island or lose the war. If we can stand up to him, all Europe may be free and the life of the world may move forward into broad, sunlit uplands. But if we fail, then the whole world, including the United States, including all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new Dark Age made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of perverted science. Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, ‘This was their finest hour.’”

>“The gratitude of every home in our Island, in our Empire, and indeed throughout the world, except in the abodes of the guilty, goes out to the British airmen who, undaunted by odds, unwearied in their constant challenge and mortal danger, are turning the tide of the World War by their prowess and by their devotion. Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.”

>“I am very glad that Mr Attlee described my speeches in the war as expressing the will not only of Parliament but of the whole nation. Their will was resolute and remorseless and, as it proved, unconquerable. It fell to me to express it, and if I found the right words you must remember that I have always earned my living by my pen and by my tongue. It was the nation and race dwelling all round the globe that had the lion heart. I had the luck to be called upon to give the roar."
>>
>>311537
Now is it true that the recordings of many of his famous speeches were done by the actor?
>>
>>311542
No.
>>
>>310669
War monger, imperialist, and genocidal maniac. He was on the winning side and with FDR dead and fellow warmonger Truman in power they were able to go full anti-commie and rehabilitate their own images because of the victory. Also gave a nice speech once.
>>
>>311537
>Never give up. Never surrender.

t. Winston Churchill
>>
In a lot of working class places people still hate him, I'm in the North and most people I know who know anything about Hisory don't like him for the mere fact that he was a Tory. Plus everyone knows that even the army had abandoned him in 1945 becuase he was so shit, most soldiers voted Labour and everyone knows about Gallipoli.
>>
>>311502
>A string of bloody failures like Singapore and Sicily.
>Churchill pulled a Hitler and personally ran the armed forces
Yeah nah
>>
File: 1445132441060.gif (913 KB, 463x360) Image search: [Google]
1445132441060.gif
913 KB, 463x360
>>310669
> Galipoli
>>
>>312051
>Implying politicians aren't blamed for failures in policy and war that they may or may not have had any active role in beyond being the face

C'mon now.
>>
File: übermensch.png (94 KB, 344x340) Image search: [Google]
übermensch.png
94 KB, 344x340
>>310675
;^)
>>
>muh air force and navy
>it works
>>
>>311537
>His wartime speeches were pretty amazing.
It must be said tho that it's far easier to make grand speeches when you have momentuous events unraveling than it is during quiet times. I'd rate his speeches higher if he also did good peacetime ones like actual great orators like Cicero.
>>
>>310669
>why was he hated during the war?
He wasnt
>why is he loved now?
For the same reason he was loved then
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.