[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This triggers logical positivists!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: Black_swan.jpg (511 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
Black_swan.jpg
511 KB, 1600x1067
This triggers logical positivists!
>>
File: ROipJ.jpg (73 KB, 396x620) Image search: [Google]
ROipJ.jpg
73 KB, 396x620
This make analytical philosophers to shit their pants
>>
Actually that makes Aristotle shit his pants. Are you sure you know anything about the history of logic?
>>
Was a black Swan ever actually a big deal? Surely you could look at other birds, eg rooks, and conclude birds can be black. Then you could look at sheep or albinos and conclude, just because many are one colour some can be a different colour. Ergo, black swans are perfectly possible.
>>
>All swans are white
>If there is some swan which is not white, then 1 is false.
>There is some swan which is not white.
>Therefore 1 is false.
I don't get it. Why would this terrify anyone who understands the relationship between universal and particular statements?
>>
File: 1422698709777.jpg (706 KB, 1000x662) Image search: [Google]
1422698709777.jpg
706 KB, 1000x662
>>311219
it is a personal choice to say that swans and rooks are birds.
>>
>>311368
BAVI mate, BAVI.
>>
>>311225
It's a joke on the almost gratuitous trust of positivists and stemfags in induction.
>>
>>311219
>Was a black Swan ever actually a big deal?

Before their discovery, they were thought to be literally impossible.

Also, most significant events in history are black swans. It's always the event that nobody prepares for that has the biggest impact
>>
>tfw people try to swipe aside the "black swan" argument against induction and verifiability like it doesn't have devastating consequences in economics
>>
>>311374
BANTI
>>
>>311916
Those people are the first to bring out muh Hume in an argument.
>>
>>312009
>Before their discovery, they were thought to be literally impossible.
"No."
>>
>>312031
>>312009
You realize Taleb is peddling total snake oil in that book right?

>>311916
Would you bet your life on the sun coming up tomorrow? Would you bet your life on Anselm's proof of God's existence?
Your honest answers are yes and no. Therefore, you have gratuitous trust in induction. If you say anything else, you're lying and you know it.
>>
>>312057
Would I bet my life on the sun coming up tomorrow?
Yes.
But that only means that I, as the rest of humans, have strong tendencies to associate contiguous things as cause -effect and to believe that the past facts will happen again (Hume). It does not mean at all that induction is valid.
You may have proven me a hypocrite. But you have not proven that inductions are valid inferences.
>>
ITT: pseudo-philosophers argue over nothing.
Basically women.
>>
>>312009
>Also, most significant events in history are black swans. It's always the event that nobody prepares for that has the biggest impact

World War 1?
>>
>>312867

Its length certainly was a black swan. Most people thought it was going to last a few months, and would cost only a fraction of what it actually did cost
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.