[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Simulacra and Simulations. Hyperreality
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: matrix-baudrillar.jpg (199 KB, 950x622) Image search: [Google]
matrix-baudrillar.jpg
199 KB, 950x622
Has anybody read this book? I mean, these concepts are so fucking abstract and vague. Would love to see some thoughts on simulacra and hyperreality to get a better grasp of these concepts. Does this shit even mean anything ?
>>
I heard he copied all his ideas from other philosophers
>>
obscurantism
>>
>>301578
Simulacrum is, well.

Do you know what a cargo cult is? Essentially it's tribals constructing crude copies of airforce that used to be stationed on their islands, thinking that if they copy it hard enough, humanitarian aid that came with the airforce will reappear.

Now imagine people who're constructing something that doesn't even exist, yet vehemently claim it's real. That is simulacrum; not just "shape over substance" but "shape without substance".

At least that's how I understand it.
>>
>>301702
Yeah, Baudrillard himself gives some kind of an analogy. Once a great empire created a map as detailed and large as an empire itself and when empire crumbled, all that was left was the map. So, basically, people started living on the map, but not on the actual territory and it is somehow relevant, according to Baudrillard, to modern times( which I still do not quite get). By the way, can god be considered as the biggest simulacrum ever ?
>>
In McDonalds restaurants they used to have a "pirate ship" where kids would have birthday parties. It was made of fibreglass but was made to look "wooden".

Now when people want to build a pirate ship, they think of the McDonalds version before they consider what an actual pirate ship would be.
>>
>>301578
I thought the thumbnail was Dr. Evil at first glance
>>
it's like memes of memes
>>
>>301702
Civilization is futile, right familia?
>>
>>302514
>Now when people want to build a pirate ship, they think of the McDonalds version before they consider what an actual pirate ship would be.
top lel
>>
>>301578
do lines and duality exist in hyper reality?
>>
>>303646
And the emergence of these memes of memes causes the original memes to vanish.
>>
Hyper-reality is the culture of the Last Man.
It's basically what Nietzsche outlined in Twilight of the Idols but this time it's crashing the "real world" with no survivors.

Imagine a guy that substitutes his social life for watching TV shows or following Youtubers, having a wife for a waifu, real accomplishments for video game accomplishments, his understanding of politics and culture for sensationalist news and buzzfeed. It's not that he is ignorant and 'blue pilled' (although that's a big part) even if he knows he is living for nothing he doesn't care.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.