[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why have the Slavs had such a hard time consolidating democracy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (203 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
203 KB, 960x540
Why have the Slavs had such a hard time consolidating democracy? Non-slavic post soviet states like the baltics have become true democracies, but russia, Ukraine, Belarus et al all are corrupt to the teeth
>>
>>292976
This video offers a pretty good explanation of Russia's failure to utilize democracy, although it doesn't mention other slavs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE6rSljTwdU
>>
>Russia, Ukraine and Belarus are the only Slavic countries

Well memed.

And what about Albania, Hungary, Romania, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan etc? The "non-Slavic post Soviet states".
>>
>>292995
Three Islamic shitholes, Hungary is fairly consolidated and Romanians are wannabe slavs
>>
>>292992
I know the current history behind russia, but I wanna know why
>>
>>293006
I honestly think it's more of a catholic/protestant vs orthodox thing rather than Slav vs non-Slav

V4 + Slovenia + the Baltics on one side, Russia, Romania, Ukraine etc on the other.
>>
>>292976
Because they had democracy and what replaced them was liberal puppet regimes that wanted to squash that democracy.
>>
>>293087
>the baltics
>democratized
>>
>>293115
Fuck I thought you meant the Balkans
Carry on
>>
>>293087
>I honestly think it's more of a catholic/protestant vs orthodox thing rather than Slav vs non-Slav
it's everyone vs russia + 2 mini russias
>>
>Czechia, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia
>not democratic
>>
>>293915
Western Slavs have had heavy Western influence, making them predisposed to the ideals of democracy (which goes a long way in making the system function)

Eastern Slavs have been stuck on autocracy for centuries, which is interesting considering their localized democratic traditions (Cossacks, mir, Novgorod, zemsky sobor)
However, democracy isn't necessarily seen as an ideal
>>
>>292976
It's basically a matter of time and national mentality. Also you're a fucking moron if you think Eastern Slavs are all Slavs.

Either way:

>Russia
Imperialism and despotic traditions through and through. At best it's going to be like Turkey.

>Belarus
Lack of any coherent national identity made the people fall back to the only thing they know, USSR garbage style. Seriously, Belarusians are down there with Bosniaks in the lack of national feeling. Has potential since it has strong Lithuanian traditions hidden, however.

>Ukraine
The most interesting country for that. It was the most Sovietized and the least Sovietized country all at the same time, meaning for all these 25 years of independence it had to be slowly but steadily getting rid of communist residue. Now it's more or less finished, though it wasn't bloodless.

I personally think Ukraine has the best potential for democracy since freedom (albeit sometimes to the point of light anarchy) is how Ukrainians operate by default.
>>
>>293928
>Western Slavs have had heavy Western influence, making them predisposed to the ideals of democracy (which goes a long way in making the system function)
>Eastern Slavs have been stuck on autocracy for centuries

Poland and Novgorod were democracies when the West was still fighting wars on whether the Emperor or the Pope is more autocratic. The Zaporozhian Sich gets a honorable mention as well, even though it was more anarcho-communitarian/tribal rally system.
>>
>>292976
The only Slavs that have problems with that is Russia and the countries very heavily influenced by it

also Serbia I guess but not nearly to the same degree
>>
>>292976
It's due to fall of the austrio-hungarian empire. If it had not fallen, austria-hungary would probably bring stability to the area, allowing for a democratic transition
>>
>>292976
This corruption you see is a spiteful western rendition of Russia, as a great power, trying to form a new political ruling class and ideological-media elite that will take care of Russia's interests abroad independent of the immediate political situation in Russia just like countries like the US, Britain and France already have.
>>
>>296386
Croatia is more democratic than Serbia.
>>
>>296431
that's what I said senpai
>>
>>296439
>implying
>>
>>296442
i first said that Russia isn't very democratic and then I said that Serbia has the same problem but not to the same degree

work on your reading comprehension senpai
>>
>>296465
Goooooooohhhhh
Mfw I can't read.
>>
>>293928
>had heavy Western influence
Not just western influence, they WERE western until after WW2.
>>
File: 6975.jpg (154 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
6975.jpg
154 KB, 640x480
Hungarian here.

We eastern europeans still tend to respect strength above all things. It doesn't matter if a leader cheated the constitution, so long as he is willful, strong, and shows a proud face to the national of the world. Strength comes above all things, for as long as the Hungarian people are ruled by a Hungarian, we are free. That's just how it is. I think is being homogenous helps, pretty much everyone shares the same values and such.
>>
>>297090
I somehow do not think you are aslave....
>>
File: GDP_of_Russia_since_1989.svg.png (205 KB, 2000x1149) Image search: [Google]
GDP_of_Russia_since_1989.svg.png
205 KB, 2000x1149
There were two periods of "democracy" in recent Russian (and Belorussian/Ukrainian) history: March-October 1917 and 1990s. Both were disastrous. Granted, the reasons for this wasn't the democracies per se but systemic failures of previous regimes, but you can't blame general population for lack of love for western-style democracy and desire of a "strong hand".
The other Warsaw Block countries kept multy-party political systems with some illusion of democracy, their parties have long history and pre-war traditions. In Russia real parties started to appear only after the revolution of 1905 and were destroyed by 1922, only to be created from scratch in early 1990s. There is no continuity, nor tradition (except commies ofc) and people don't really care about them at all, concentrating too much on leaders.
>>
>>292976
>Why have the Slavs had such a hard time consolidating democracy? Non-slavic post soviet states like the baltics have become true democracies, but russia, Ukraine, Belarus et al all are corrupt to the teeth
It is not a Slavic trait - after all, Slavic peoples are a linguistic group first and foremost, it is not like they have all shared a culture or a polity for a significant part of their 1300+ years of history in Europe. It is an "Eastern" trait, if anything. The likes of Bohemia, Hungary (not Slav but closely tied due to its neighbors and middle ages history), Poland have been traditionally Western, so to speak, for most of their history. Often the last border of the "Western" world but still a part of it. The dichotomy we have now, seeing them as "others" and not entirely "ours" (as in "ours, Western") is a holdover from the Cold War division of Europe - and it lumps them together with countries that were not traditionally closely tied to them, i.e. Russia. But that was merely a footnote in the larger scheme of things. Given a couple of decades this division will crumble further and the difference between the traditional European "West" and "East" will be much more visible.
>>
>>292976
But we don't. Interwar Czechoslovakia was one of the last truly democratic states left in central europe.
>>
>>300594
It was the last democracy east of Switzerland and south of Denmark
>>
>the only Slavs are the East Slavs

I love this meme.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.