[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any more battles like Stalingrad? I'm talking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
Are there any more battles like Stalingrad?
I'm talking about battles, where attacking side has the ultimate advantage and almost manages to wipe out the defending side completely until the defending side gets their shit together and annihilates the attackers
>>
>>283888
ORSHA
R
S
H
A
>>
File: 1444782422855.jpg (161 KB, 788x685) Image search: [Google]
1444782422855.jpg
161 KB, 788x685
> No winter clothes
> Army never meant to stop or get bogged down
> No moral because the city you're attacking has no economic or positional significance

> Ultimate advantage

Yes, goy, the Russians always held back the inferior white people at every turn despite having disadvantage!!1!11 xDDDd :-D :PP
>>
>>283959
Slavs are white.
>>
>>283988
I know that. I was lumping OP's post with typical leftist revisionism that's tries to use divide and conquer tactics on Europeans. "X is Mediterranean and therefore not white!"
>>
>>283888
Check out the 1916 Rising Dublin, James Connolly's battle plans for the rising were copied and used in Stalingrad. It was one of the first examples of urban warfare and makes a good read.

Russians were able to nit pick at the major flaws and emulate the positives, such as digging tunnels across streets to connect buildings and making holes between floors for ladders.
>>
>>284027
ironic shitposting is still shitposting
sadly i think your shitposting isn't even ironic
pls remove from gene pool
>>
>>283959
whermachtboo gets triggered when history proves it, that whermacht was kind of meh.
>>
>>283888
I think the Battle of Alesia is the same as Stalingrad, only the attacker wins.
>>
>>283988
Czechs are Slavs, Russians are not. More like a Mongol-Turkic hybrid.
>>
>>283959
During Fall Blau germans were kicking russian ass until they got bogged down in Stalingrad/Caucasus
>>
>>283888
Verdun
>>
>>283959
>no economic or positional significance

Is this true though, there's a meme that Stalin and Hitler fought there because ego, but wasn't it important for supplying Russia with oil from Baku?
>>
>>283959
>the city you're attacking has no economic or positional significance

It had lots of significance. True that the city's role as industrial center evaporated together with destroyed factories, but it was extremely important as part of the Volga waterway. Besides Volga, the Soviets had literally one railroad left to connect the Caucasus with the rest of the USSR. A railroad that wouldn't last for long, because once Stalingrad falls, the way to Atrakhan is open.
>>
Dien Bien Phu was pretty much this.
>>
>>284501
>>284345
The thing is, though, that the Germans had literally no reason to attack Stalingrad by going through it with an entire division. They could have bypassed it and encircled it, leaving it to starve and freeing up units to attack targets with an actual military significance.
>>
>>285205
Encircle it how?
To do that you need to cross the Volga and it's like crossing a lake.
>>
>>285230

With the 20-30 divisions they didn't have, of course.

I mean, why do you think they "held" their flanks with half strength Romanian and Hungarian units.
>>
>>283888

Battle of Kobani.
>>
>>283888

Kiska

>no Japs on the island
>Murrikans and Canadians come in to take it no problem
>get a few thousand of yourselves killed by some mines
>>
>>284027
>leftist revisionism
asiatic, pls
>>
Whatever you think of that battle, or the advantages you might think the Germans might have had, they lost the war when the whole rotten structure didnt collapse in 41.

Over extension, supply lines were shit, partasians everywhere. They were done after that summer.
>>
>>283888

i dont think you have an accurate depiction of what happened

it more goes

>wehrmacht takes stalingrad after a period of fighting
>soviets regroup and attack stalingrad
>wehrmacht are encircled because their Hungarian-Italian-Romanian allies are guarding their flanks and are significantly less competent than their German allies for a variety of reasons
>soviets take stalingrad after the wehrmacht fights a bitter but futile defensive war

it was not a case of the defender suddenly getting his shit together, the attacker became the defender and the defender became the attacker, it was king of the hill and the last one to win it were the soviets

>>283959

please report this post
please report this post
please report this post
>>
>>287794
Germans never took Stalingrad
There still were beachheads on the Volga holding out
Soviets knew that taking city back on frontal assault would be costly, so they instead encircled german troops at Stalingrad and pushed forward, so they had no chance to escape or break the encirclement. Attrition took care of them itself and it was only the final offensive that made them capitulate.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.