[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
An Egyptian priest told Herodotus that Helen (of Troy) was in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: k.jpg (168 KB, 850x723) Image search: [Google]
k.jpg
168 KB, 850x723
An Egyptian priest told Herodotus that Helen (of Troy) was in fact living comfortably in Alexandria during the time of the war. Herodotus says he buys the idea because it doesn't make sense for Troy to not have given up some dumb bitch, basically, so the war became a pissing contest.
>>
>>28345
>Herodotus says he buys the idea because it doesn't make sense for Troy to not have given up some dumb bitch

But it does when you realize that the Gods were the ones orchestrating the events. Paris only got Helen in the first place because of Aphrodite. I only say this because Herodotus was into all the mythological stuff.
>>
>>28345
>1000 BC
>alexandria
this board is shit
>>
It's interesting seeing how the Greeks tried to reconcile mythology with fact.
>>
>>28429
Well the Trojan war is largely myth in the first place.

Thucydides straight after Herodotus rids his historical study of myth.
>>
>>28424

He obviously meant Alexandretta. She was hidden there along with the Ark.
>>
>>28345
I like how he rationalizes by saying that when the greeks arrived, the Trojans said Helen was not in the city. But since the Greeks aren't going to get permission to send in Helen Inspectors, they don't believe the Trojans until the city is already sacked and no Helen is found.
>>
>>28424
I didn't write Alexandria in the Kemetic hieroglyph original. Sorry.

How many know Memphis is Cairo?
>>
>>28429
it made life interesting. facts are boring.
>>
File: 1257459904013.jpg (42 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1257459904013.jpg
42 KB, 500x375
>>28424
Werent some Alexandrias founded from whole cloth but others were renamed cities that already existed? which one was the port of?

>>28687
>>
>>28541
I've been to Troy. There is definitely a historical nugget of truth there.

>Thucydides straight after Herodotus rids his historical study of myth.

Tries to and in my opinion fails to. He's great but he's horribly overrated. I prefer Herodotus since he makes it clear just how important national myths, stereotypes and legends are to a group's consciousness. Thucydides just wrote a fairly dry account of a war and tried to mythologise it himself by turning two separate conflicts into one massive one spanning 27 years. His massive influence is actually quite dangerous.
>>
>>28767
The city existed at the time, it just wasn't called Alexandria.

Alexander the great came long after the Trojan war. That was his point.
>>
>>28429
Its interesting seeing Herodatus using logic to piece things together even when he's wrong. Like when he learns that Egypt is 100 times older than Greece. So when he sees Herakles being worshiped there, he assumes Herakles was originally an Egyptian god about which the Greeks invented stories about being a man on earth and doing labors.
It doesn't even occur to him that Herakles could be a Greek God that the Egyptians adopted.
In his mind all the ideas flow downhill from Egypt to Greece, nothing goes the other way around.
>>
>>28840
>It doesn't even occur to him that Herakles could be a Greek God that the Egyptians adopted.

Why would it?
>>
>>28972
Everything about his story is tied to Greece. If Herakles was not the son of Zeus, and he never walked the earth as a mortal, and never did his labors, what even is Herakles?
>>
>>28840
But that actually shows how intelligent he was, since Greek culture was heavily influenced by the Egyptians. Surely it shows that he isn't Graecocentric at all.
>>
>>29594
I suspect you really don't know anything but commented anyway hoping that nobody would challenge your ignorance.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.