[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5
File: humanities-pic.jpg (373 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
humanities-pic.jpg
373 KB, 1024x683
What went wrong?
>>
>>281092
the 1960s. colleges became places of activism instead of intellectual pursuit
>>
>>281092
You're going to have to be more specific.
>>
File: 6376243.png (46 KB, 474x474) Image search: [Google]
6376243.png
46 KB, 474x474
If we don't get off this rock soon I can already tell you Nationalism will replace Humanitarianism pretty quickly.

Also Humanities is retarded and got co-opted to teach insane shit.
>>
>>281114
That already happened as early as in XIX century
>>
File: 1432384995776.jpg (29 KB, 402x720) Image search: [Google]
1432384995776.jpg
29 KB, 402x720
>>281121
>humanitarianism
>>
>>281138
Yeah the thing that keeps Africa alive and the left loves so much.
>>
>>281138
https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=Humanitarianism&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=4iJRVviWMKi40wW0mbiQBA

>Humanitarianism is a moral of kindness, benevolence, and sympathy extended to all human beings

Basically, he's saying that right now hippy-tier we're-all-equal liberalism is vogue. But soon things will go south, and when they do, nationalism will surge forward to become the main social movement. It's already started in Europe, where previously fringe nationalist parties are getting significant portions of the vote.
>>
>>281161
>>281165
What the fuck does that have to do with humanities?
>>
Heidegger was right about technology and the they-self. and science--while advancing in its own right--is absolutely powerless against identity politics
>>
>>281181
Assuming you're OP, you should have specified your discussion subject more clearly. It's a popular and plausible train of thought that humanities = liberals = pro-humanitarianism, thus making his comment relevant.
>>
>>281201
Not OP
Also that way of thinking is completely naive and idiotic
>>
>>281191
>identity politics

I always assumed that idpol was a luxury that only the isolated citizens of late-stage, extremely successful countries could indulge in. As soon as shit hits the fan, it'll be swept away by something more pragmatic and survival-oriented.
>>
you let women and non-whites run the show.
and they only place they run things is into the ground
>>
>>281214
>completely naive and idiotic

[Detail needed]
>>
>>281092
hippies and leftists

I'm sorry but it's true.
>>
>>281232
So if i study history, that automatically makes me a liberal and a humanitarian?
>>
>>281092
reposting threads so lazily to the point of using the same image
>>
>>281249
No. But the claim is that overall, humanities departments have fairly large, loud-voiced and influential populations of modern liberals. Which isn't an unreasonable claim.
>>
Unreasonable question and unreasonable people posting ITT

Saged
>>
>>281504
Woah there buddy it looks like you accidentally saged.
I'll go ahead and bump the thread for ya :D
>>
File: 1425106375041.png (164 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1425106375041.png
164 KB, 500x500
Typical leftie thinking it is saving the world and their ego by being an "intellectual", mixed with now inane institutions in a already weakened society that can't even find their pillars on the now relativized subject because of cancerous ideology and nihilism.
>>
Secularism?
>>
>>281092
College became about training you to be a wage slave in the capitalist machine, rather than a place of intellectual exploration and discovery.
>>
>>281092
The left. And I'm not even /pol/. Marxists and marxistoids who use the academic discipline as a pulpit to push political points and to advance "social justice" or whatever. It's not unique to the left of course but is extremely recurrent when looking at leftist academics, at least since the 1930s and 1940s in the West. This completely discredits the academic establishment, conflates academic quality with political correctness, and not to mention undermines the very foundation of universal knowledge that academia is built upon.
>>
>>282115
if anything it's done the opposite. too much "intellectual" exploration and not enough training.
>>
File: ageometretos.jpg (196 KB, 1600x600) Image search: [Google]
ageometretos.jpg
196 KB, 1600x600
>>281092

We removed the mathematics prerequisite and let any dumbass speak their mind
>>
>>282565
>we removed gymnastics and music
ftfy
>>
It was actually capitalism. Please put more thought into making threads
>>
>>282100
Nope
>>
>>282100
Precondition but not direct cause.
>>
>>281114
the neo-conservatives. colleges became sources of profit, instead of places for intellectual pursuit.
>>
>It's the marxists!
>No, it's the capitalists!
So it's just the ones of the other side of the political spectrum that you hate?
>>
Education system is babba
No one want to debate difficult subjects
>>
>>281092

Nothing.
>>
>>281114

This.

Also we let dumb people voice their opinions, and university acceptance for humanities isn't nearly selective enough
>>
>>282115
In Humanities that's the reverse of true,
>>282558
Ditto
>>282567
Muh capitalism is the problem
>>
>>281138
Top lol-pic m8. sure made me laught.
>>
>>281225
Nationalism is identity politics too.
>>
>>281092
They should've used tape, there's no way those magnets will stick for long before they fall off.
>>
Pursuit for truth got replaced by activism. If you have statistical training and look at studies about discrimination, you will see what I'm talking about.
>>
>>283448
>one add one is two!
>no, it's three!
>>
post a real thread op.
>>
Stats tell you what.
but don't tell you why as in say Meth addiction
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.