[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would Yugoslavia have lasted longer if Tito lived a bit longer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
File: Josip-Broz-Tito-5.jpg (13 KB, 220x283) Image search: [Google]
Josip-Broz-Tito-5.jpg
13 KB, 220x283
Title says all. Assuming he were to have lived through the breakup of the USSR/Warsaw Pact (and somehow not been too senile to rule, since he would've been nearing 100), do you think that Yugoslavia might've lasted a bit longer?
>>
File: 1235236892.png (104 KB, 500x545) Image search: [Google]
1235236892.png
104 KB, 500x545
Serb here. I'm afraid not. He really was the only thing keeping shit together. The nation was destined to fall apart due to ethnic strife the moment he got out of the picture - and he knew this. The resulting chaos was really just inevitable.

We all miss you Josip. ;_;
>>
>>279706
Damn. Well that's kind of a shame to hear. Though I've been curious for a while about as to why the ethnic tensions are as high as they are in the Balkans; I know religion played a big part, but not sure what else lead to it. If you don't mind, can you help explain it to me?
>>
>>279747

The Balkans has always been a powder-keg ready to explode on a moments notice, and its been that way for as long as anyone can remember. The ultra-nationalism of the Balkans has almost entirely to do with the fact that it was conquered and occupied by the Ottomans for many centuries (this combined with the mountainous terrain not only isolates cultures from each other but makes partisan-warfare very viable)

Religion of course had a major part of it - but there was also the leftovers of World War 2. Croats were Nazi collaborators and Serbs even to this day cannot forgive them for this. Many Serbs were genocided by the Croats or forcibly converted to Catholicism. Mix muslims into this and you just get a complete clusterfuck known as the "Powderkeg of Europe".
>>
>>279667
The only thing keepin Yugoslavia together was Tito - The nations wanted independance from a centralized power, the only thing keeping them together was Tito and his following. However it is a shame that there is not a higher amount of cooperation in the Balkans, as creating a "Balkan Union" would be beneficial in my opinion.
>>
>>279867

>However it is a shame that there is not a higher amount of cooperation in the Balkans, as creating a "Balkan Union" would be beneficial in my opinion.

Except thats almost exactly what Yugoslavia was and look at how it turned out.
>>
File: 32r.jpg (101 KB, 605x615) Image search: [Google]
32r.jpg
101 KB, 605x615
>>279867
>only turkophiles and gypsies call that part of europe "balkan". fucking filthy scum.

south-eastern europe ffs, is it so hard you turkophile gypsy scum
>>
>>279882

"South-eastern Europe" would include Cyprus, Greece, and Istanbul - all definitely not part of the Balkans.
>>
>>279882
I'm from the balkans, pederćina

>>279875
Except that Yugoslavia focused a disproportinate amount on Serbia, especially Belgrade... I don't know, everyone i know who lived in times of ex-Yu seemed to be happy back then.
>>
>>279922

Same. I have had family in Yugoslavia, they all sorely miss those times and even say it was the happiest they ever were despite living in America as middle-class now.
>>
File: Balkans_Animation_1800-2008.gif (550 KB, 744x618) Image search: [Google]
Balkans_Animation_1800-2008.gif
550 KB, 744x618
Balkans have always been tumultuous. Nothing has really changed since you had many different people living in close proximity and larger powers dictating their aims in the region.
>>
File: goering[1].jpg (62 KB, 335x483) Image search: [Google]
goering[1].jpg
62 KB, 335x483
Who else thought that pic was Goering at first? They look similar.
>>
>>279667
Only if he managed to get a sucessor on par with him.
>>
>>279706
>we all miss you Josib
no we dont.
>>
Was Tito a good dictator?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.