[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am interested in the prevalence of German language as lingua
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
I am interested in the prevalence of German language as lingua franca among non-German nations of Dual monarchy. How common was it for your average Hungarian or Slav to speak German, and with what proficiency? Are there any good sources and books on this?
>>
File: HUGFO015.jpg (189 KB, 1131x700) Image search: [Google]
HUGFO015.jpg
189 KB, 1131x700
Bump, c'mon you KuK's
>>
I might be mistaken but I think that the Croatian peasantry usually just spoke Croatian. The aristocracy and the middle classes were probably fluent in Croatian and German. Still though, that meant that no more than ~5 % of the whole population spoke German. Nevertheless the Croatian language had and still has a lot of germanisms.

https://hr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanizam (incomplete list of Germanisms, in Croatian)
>>
>that one guy who is obsessed with a-h
>>
>>282193
There's at least two of us. Also, I am 99% certain that Gavrilo Princip was a Hungarian plot to prevent the USGA.
>>
It was mainly a town thing, as most villages were inhabited by one ethnicity usually.

The common people didn't speak other language unless they lived in a multiethnic community. For middle class and above knowing German was a must, in Hungarian part knowing Hungarian was a must too.

But since most of the population was rural, overall most people did not speak several languages.
>>
>>283151
This right here. The aristocracy, even when German in heritage, in many cases still spoke the language of the commoners, though.
>>
>>282193
>not being obsessed with the greatest empire on earth
shiggy
>>
>>282193
Yeah, obviously it's obviously unreasonable that more than one person would want to talk about one of the most important empires in European history.
>>
>>283224
>>283237
>A-H
>important
It was a meme empire
>>
>>283275
This site is for people 18 and over.
>>
>>283275
if meme means best, then yes
>>
>>283275
It was the giant personal property of a single family and home to some of the most beautiful cities in the world. The members of the family would remain influential in European politics even in the years following their empire's fall.
>>
>>282414
kek thats a little bit far fetched
>>
>>282414
Explain yourself.
>>
How could the empire have stayed together?
>>
>>284136
Germany wins the first world war, and intervenes on the side of the Habsburgs during the inevitable civil war.
>>
>>284136
If Franz Ferdinand hadn't been murdered, he would have reformed the empire along the lines of the "United States of Greater Austria" theory that he was a student of.
>>
>>284161
>inevitable civil war
Can we stop the memes already? Most non-Germans and non-Hungarians were perfectly fine living in the empire. The EVERYONE WANTED TO BE INDEPENDENT shit is revisionist Entente propaganda.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.