[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Due to it's small population (of which a large section was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 9
File: Civil war factories.jpg (17 KB, 332x245) Image search: [Google]
Civil war factories.jpg
17 KB, 332x245
Due to it's small population (of which a large section was slaves who could not be mobilized) and lack of industrial development the CSA never could have won the civil war.
>>
Quite frankly I think they would have balkanized within a decade had they won anyways. Davis had to enact some very federal shit to keep the war effort together, and once all was said and done this would rankle within the states. Probably Texas would go first, and then soon the rest would fall into bickering nation-states.
>>
>>277618
I'm thinking a loose, autonomous "confederation" that may not have even fully supported each other in wars. But you're right Texas would just be like, fuck this shit and leave.

I have a theory that unity is always preferable. If you wanted to troll, you could argue the Mongol occupation of Asia was "good" because he maintained the silk roads. See, there's always advantages to unity.
>>
>>277711
Sure, but there's disadvantages too. The problem with a big centralized power is that if the center gets fucked up the whole thing falls to pieces. See the Mongol Empire, which splintered once the Kahn died.
>>
>>277823
Because it had little to no authority, it collected a few tributes and was done. It didn't impose any laws or try to proselytize.

Centralisation indeed.
>>
>>277857
Take the Romans then. Heavily centralized, and when that center was weakened the whole thing fell to shit.
>>
>>277565
Since this is essentially an unassailable fact, is the purpose of your post to b8 all the lost cause shitsippers into responding so we can mock them mercilessly?
>>
>>277922
To be fair they could have won if Europe stepped in like they assumed they would. Which nearly did happen.
>>
>>277565

A materially inferior state can beat a materially superior state by having greater commitment, and being too strong and taking too long to subdue.

As weak as the South was relative to the north, it was far stronger than say, Vietnam was relative to the U.S. when they fought.

The real reason that the South couldn't win wasn't just that they were smaller and weaker, but that they were in the "core" territory of the Union, who wanted to bring them back into the fold by any means necessary. Even if McClellan had won the election in 1864, and he had signed a ceasefire, there would have been significant agitation for more war as soon as the Union felt it had recovered.
>>
File: latest[1].png (194 KB, 347x259) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
194 KB, 347x259
>>277823
What's that about Kahn dying? Kahn not dead hillbilly! Kahn alive! Kahn make you read this is his voice! How you like that redneck?
>>
>>277902
That's a very peculiar reading of history. I'd argue it's the whole thing that was weakened, not just Rome itself.
>>
>>278126
Kahn, that's just asinine. Don't make me come over there and kick your ass.
>>
>>277937
Nobody in Europe wanted to help them.
>>
>>278158
They assumed the loss of cotton and tobacco would force England or France into action, though iirc England already had a steady supply of both coming from India at that point. England did almost step in due to Lincoln unlawfully detaining two British citizens, but that had little to do with the war itself. Odds are England was totally fine with watching the rebel colony tear itself apart barely a generation after telling the UK to sit and spin.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (56 KB, 286x402) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
56 KB, 286x402
>>278153
I tell you what Hank dang ol Kahn here maybe he saying something man like I dunno about the nature of truth you know m'saying like wisdom
>>
File: bill-dauterive-570x425.gif (69 KB, 570x425) Image search: [Google]
bill-dauterive-570x425.gif
69 KB, 570x425
>>278173
I dunno much about all'at, but if there's one thing I know about truth, it's that it'll crush you down again and again.

I'm so lonely.

And hungry.
>>
>>278244
You're ignoring the truth Bill. Genghis Khan is alive. The government keep him in a cryogenic chamber known as 'The Chamber'. One day he'll conquer Asia again - on our side
>>
File: 41597_2306433266_4613_n.jpg (8 KB, 200x203) Image search: [Google]
41597_2306433266_4613_n.jpg
8 KB, 200x203
>>278259
Who said that?
>>
>>277618
There was never really a homogeneous Southern identity, in the way that we conceive of it, until after the Civil War. UDC and Pollard did a lot of the work in forming the idea of what we think the Confederates thought of themselves, if that makes sense.
>>
>>277565
I would agree that in 1860 the south had no hope of victory. If the war had happened 10 years prior though the south probably would have won because in 1850 British industry was completely dependant on southern cotton and would have been forced to openly support the south but by 1860 Britain had built up a massive surplus of raw cotton (and the cotton plantations in India had just started to become viable).
Cotton was key to the entire southern war effort and by 1860 cotton prices had sharply dropped
>>
>>277565
How many people were there in the usa at that time anyway
>>
>>278432

The 1860 census reported 31,443,321.
>>
File: 1440512426679.jpg (48 KB, 490x490) Image search: [Google]
1440512426679.jpg
48 KB, 490x490
>>278126
>>
>>278172
Slavery was much disliked in the UK. There were many cotton workers who campaigned against the csa. Intervention was unlikely to begin with and became impossible after that speech Abe gave after gettysburg, forget it's name
>>
>>278489
I'm aware slavery was unpopular in much of Europe, it had been for half a century at least, discounting maybe naval impressment (and even then that caused a lot of animosity among the citizenry, for obvious reasons)
>>
>>278501
To add to this (hit post too early)
England attacking the Union would have been a separate event of its own, but certainly would have aided the South just because of the split in Union forces. Abe defused the situation exactly because he 'couldn't fight two wars at once'.
>>
File: 1345356210010.png (75 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1345356210010.png
75 KB, 200x200
>>278283
>Who said that?
>>
>>278489
I think you're thinking of the Gettysburg Address, but no. I think you're really meaning the Emancipation Proclamation, which came directly after the Battle of Antietam a year prior.
>>
File: laughing_pistachios.jpg (52 KB, 700x466) Image search: [Google]
laughing_pistachios.jpg
52 KB, 700x466
>>278283
>>
>>277937
Nah, England especially was never going to help out the CSA. The Confederacy grossly overestimated Europe's dependence on American cotton when new markets were being opened in Egypt and India, and England had essentially become the world police in terms of the slave trade.

The CSA had basically every single possible disadvantage against them, the only reason why they lasted as long as they did was because Burnside and McClellan were pantsu-on-head retarded.
>>
>>277711
>>277823
its about getting the right balance enough centralization to keep things together and make use of all the resources under a nations control but decentralized that people can take the initiative and handle things on their own.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.