[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ancient & Classical Languages
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 540x673) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 540x673
There isn't a general language thread, so I made one.

Which ancient languages have you studied/are you studying now?

I have a pretty decent grasp of Old Norse and am getting ready to start Sanskrit. Any resources you can recommend for the latter would be much appreciated.
>>
>>421790

no you don't. please stop lying on the internet
>>
>>421790
>Any resources you can recommend for the latter would be much appreciated
http://www.sanskrit-lexicon.uni-koeln.de/

If your native language is english, then I can't really help you much with what book would be good for learning. Monier-Williams seems to be the go-to dictionary. William Dwight Whitneys "Roots" is a must-have if you are serious about learning and translating. "Sanskrit Syntax" by Speijer should also be useful, my professor said, but haven't used it much myself.

Good luck, it will not be easy.
>>
How do I into declensing languages?
I have a hard time keeping in mind the rules of ablative, dative, etc nouns.
>>
>>421913
I have the same problem but I suppose looking for a trick to it is ultimately part of the problem, no?
>>
>>421913
It becomes easier to read compositions in fully inflected languages if you practice composing grammatically correct sentences in them. Might seem silly to write things in "dead" languages like Latin, but in the end it will make you a more literate scholar of the tongue.
>>
>>421790
Does anyone have any advice for learning about proper usage of Early Modern English, like that used in the King James Bible? I can't seem to find anything comprehensive or authoritative about archaic conjugations and conjunctions.
>>
>>421816
Ek má fullvel lesa ok skrifa á norrœna málinu, m8

(en betri lesa)
>>
>>421913
For remembering the actual declension patterns: flash cards.

For remembering when each case is used: just do a lot of reading. After looking up the same thing 18 times, you'll start to remember it.
>>
Latin and Ancient Greek, but my Greek is pretty limited.
>>
>>422137
Ρομαιkως τε kαι Ελληνιkως λεγειν δυναμαι, αλλα ου πολυ.
>>
>>421790
What is the oldest well-documented invented language?
>>
File: quipu-4.jpg (373 KB, 1066x944) Image search: [Google]
quipu-4.jpg
373 KB, 1066x944
>>423021

Quipu, perhaps? (~11th century)

look it up, it isn't spoken, but it did convey information
>>
>>422137
ionic or doric? self taught, or classes?
>>
Anyone here knows some latin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k3XXGmu-dw
just wanna know the lyrics here
>>
>>422103
Oh ya? Well then why don't we settle it right here in the ring?
>>
File: 3101112.jpg (47 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
3101112.jpg
47 KB, 480x360
The three most important written languages of antiquity are probably Greek (Homer, Herodotus, philosophy, the new testament), the Indic languages such as Sanskrit and Pali (Hindu and Buddhist scripture), and Chinese(Dao De Jing, I-ching, the art of war, and also some Buddhist literature).
>>
>>422486
I can read that pretty fine though.

>>423297
Classes, learned under Stanley Lombardo.

A little bit of everything.

Translated Homer, early poets like Sappho , Euripides, Demosthenes, some Hellenistic poets as well which kicked my ass, then some later Greek like Plutach,Strabo, Cassius Dio.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.