[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Were the Spanish Muslims mainly white or Berber? I'm reading
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: M6EIfLn.jpg (50 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
M6EIfLn.jpg
50 KB, 600x800
Were the Spanish Muslims mainly white or Berber?

I'm reading Don Quixote, some of Sancho's dialogue implies the old-Christians and Moriscos were the same race

pic unrelated
>>
Race is a social construct. Back when Don Quijote was written it was probably
>are you tan, dark haired and hairy
>then you are mediterranean race
They probably didn't have the idea of White race. That seems to originate from the U.S when they were trying to decide which Europeans they liked and which ones they didn't. I don't mean white as in European I mean white as in the stupid discussions on various forums with bait titles like
> Why are (insert European nationality) considered white?
>>
>>409823
>Arabs
>Visigoths
Come on dude, there's clearly a difference.
>>
>>409823
Because Saracen is an American term?
>>
>>409764
>Were the Spanish Muslims mainly white or Berber?
There were a lot of converted "natives" (Visigoths, Celts, etc). The Arab invasion wasn't a migration of peoples, more of a military occupation, where many of the subjugated peoples over time adopted aspects of Arab/Moslem culture and customs.
Intermixing between the invaders and the natives further integrated the populations.
>>
read some historical docs depicting the arab kings of spain as having red hair.
>>
>>409835
Both arabs and visigoths were a small ruler minority in Spain.
>>
>>409764
Berbers and even some arabs migrated into the peninsula but they didn't have an important impact outside of the elites. Most of the spanish muslims were converts. Islam always brings some degree of cultural arabization but in the case of Spain it doesn't seem like it was pretty strong, since andalusi (ill-called mozarabe sometimes) was a romance language.
>>
>>409823
White was a term made up by Spaniards or Portuguese to differentiate themself from niggers or native americans.
>>
>>409823
>Race is a social construct.
Kill yourself
>>
>>409823
>race is a social construct

Yes, tens of thousands of years of isolated evolution and adoption in different environments certainly wouldn't cause any significant difference between ethnic groups.....
>>
>>411344
MUJAMET
HIJO MIO
>>
>>409764
Before the Berber revolts, the cream of the top was Arab. Then it was Berber. There would have been some native converts up there too, likely.
>>
File: 4933641098_3945509cab_z.jpg (185 KB, 640x444) Image search: [Google]
4933641098_3945509cab_z.jpg
185 KB, 640x444
>>409823
The problem with Race is that there's not a standardized categorizing system.

I mean Race can be something as broad as Caucasian, or as specific as Germanic, yet we use the same word for both. In reality it would be something like Caucasian -> White -> Germanic as you narrow it down. But these are 3 different levels, and we would use the same word "Race" for all of them. And then you get into whether things like "Germanic" should even be considered a race a not just an ethnicity.
>>
>>411484
he is right.
but also the first part of >>409823
>are you tan, dark haired and hairy
>then you are mediterranean race
Sicily was Muslim like Spain, and people nowadays a) look like north africans, b) look like Normans c) look like average euro/mediterranean
>>
>>411720
This guy has a point.
>>
>>411720
>South Indian
>Caucasoid
wat
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.