[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Physical Apperance of the Romans
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8
File: augustus_prima_head[1].jpg (37 KB, 301x450) Image search: [Google]
augustus_prima_head[1].jpg
37 KB, 301x450
How did the Romans look in terms of their physical appearance? Take into consideration when I say "Romans" I'm talking about ethnic Romans. Obviously 'Roman' could have referred to anyone being born in and a citizen of the Roman Empire, from a Arab to a Englishman.

I'm talking about the actual ethnic Romans. Were they generally a dark-featured ethnic European populace like modern-day Italians?
>>
>>384942
Does ethnic "Romans" include their fellow Latins? Either way most Latins including the Romans and the Italics of Italy were generally tanned. Their complexions from what I understand, were fairer then the Greeks who themselves are more olive-skinned.

Also when Caesar's legions invaded Britain, the natives called them "black people" due to the natural difference between their more pale skins and complexions vs the Romans/Latins.

Otherwise all Europeans back then would've had the same sort of skull morphology, facial characteristics, and so on. Germanics were pretty fucking tall though, same were most Celtic people in general compared to native Spaniards, Italians, Latins, etc...
>>
>those Romans who were fair-haired preferred to dye their hair dark in the early period of Ancient Rome; at one point in time blond hair was even associated with prostitutes. The preference changed to bleaching the hair blond when Greek culture, which practiced bleaching, reached Rome, and was reinforced when the legions that conquered Gaul returned with blond slaves.
>>
Like Central/Northern Italians.

And the Greeks looked like the Sicilians do.
>>
>>384992
Source?
>>
>>384942

Either blonde haired blue eyed aryans or sub saharrans.

There shall be no middle ground.
>>
>>384996
Sicilians look like Greeks because Sciliy was heavily colonized by Greeks. Same reason why there's a lot of Greek looking Italians in Southern Italy because Manga Grecia was formed down there and the majority of their colonies as a result.
>>
>>384975
>Also when Caesar's legions invaded Britain, the natives called them "black people" due to the natural difference between their more pale skins and complexions vs the Romans/Latins.

and over two thousand years later /int/ still makes banter maps that mark southern europe as "not white." A proud tradition.
>>
File: mediterranean-map.gif (67 KB, 804x407) Image search: [Google]
mediterranean-map.gif
67 KB, 804x407
>>385054
>history begins with the Greeks

Nice maymay. You really think Sicily's native population comes exclusively from people who traveled South from the Alps when it's so much easier to get there from Tunisia?
>>
>>384942
I they were generally Nordic-featured in the patrician classes.
>>
>>385074
>who traveled South from the Alps
Crazy thought, but maybe they just sailed across the Ionian sea instead of walking all the way up the balkans then back down Italy?
>>
>>385074
Nigga you dumb
>>
>>385074
Seeing as how there were Greek colonies as far as North Africa and Southern France, yes one could think that.
>>
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 450x275) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 450x275
>>384942
It's seems the upper class had lighter features due to more immediate indo european heritage

Here is a list of the features of roman emperors like hair color, eye color etc

http://marchofthetitans.com/earlson/romanemperors.htm

My guess is the original indo european Italic tribes had lighter features and became darker over time after mixing with other groups when they entered the region.
>>
>>385092
>Crazy thought, but maybe they just sailed across the Ionian sea

So the reason Sicilians look Greek is because they were colonized by Greeks, and before they were colonized by Greeks they were made up of Aryans who got to Siciliy from Greece.

Are you having a stroke?
>>
Aryan demigods

They alone were responsible for that magnificient civilisation

When their pure blood got diluted in the brown mud, the Rome fell
>>
>>385117
>Aryan demigods
>Aryan
But Romans aren't Iranian
>>
>>385108
You're misquoting anons, stupid. I, not that anon, believed that part of the reason why Sicilians are much darker skinned then most Italians is because of Greek heritage and colonies in Sicily. I never said "It was Greek, then colonized by Greeks again."
>>
>>385130
And the people who lived there before the Greeks (using the term literally as people who speak the Greek language) came from ______? And looked like _______?
>>
>>384975
Why were civilized Southern people, expecting to be more nourished due to more wealth, manlets compared to the savages of the North?
>>
>>385147
I never addressed who or what preceded Greek colonists in Sicily in the first place.
>>
>>385117
autism
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3yon2GyoiM
>>
>>385073
Ebin maymays passed down through generations
>>
>>384942

They were blue eyes blonde hair whitest whities. Like Jesus, her mom and the apostles.
>>
>>385177
Genetics.
Height was irrelevant anyways. Superior Roman technology and tactics always won the day. It was only when they began to recruit feeble minded Germans that the legions began to lose.
>>
>>385177
Northern people relied more on pastoralism, thus got more protain, while southern people mostly ate grain.
>>
The discrepancy between height seems much less exaggerated today that it was in the past I bet. Mainly nutrtional differences with semi-similar potential in height gains.

Anecdotal evidence here but I'm of greek descent and im about 5'10.

Also quick quesion: My dad looks like cenk from the young turks network... But im more fair skinned with brown hair and brown eyes...sorry to derail your thread: but are turks more greek or are greeks more turk?
>>
>>385106
Hahahaha

Has this become a meme now, every successful person in history was really blond with blue eyes

They were Italians, Italians have tan skin and generally brown eyes
>>
>>385130
I've been through mainland Italy and down to Sicily, there's virtually no difference that I noticed in the people from either
>>
>>385926
Are you 5' 7"?
>>
>>384942
Looked like the average central Italian, but blonder/fairer. Blonde genes are recessive, italian populations used to be blonder.

Or maybe we italians are just as blonde as we used to be since after the fall of Rome we had an influx of blonde genes in the form of germanic and norman raep
>>
>>386275
Turks are WAY more greek than greeks are turk.
Most "Turks" in Greece (Not many left, after the population exchange) are simply muslim greeks who got turkified during the empire.

>>386374
Dude Calabrians are fucking niggers
>>
File: julius-caesar2.jpg (69 KB, 590x775) Image search: [Google]
julius-caesar2.jpg
69 KB, 590x775
Caesar bust, recoloured with accurate colours taken from remaining pigments on the original bust.
>>
>>386363
It kind of makes sense what he says, blonde / red hair are usually recessive compared to darker hair colors so it would make sense they slowly started to disappear.
>>
>>386987

Looks like an average Italian bricklayer.
>>
>>384975
>spaniards
>not having considerable germanic/celtic blood
Hassan pls
>>
>>384975
>when Caesar's legions invaded Britain, the natives called them "black people" due to the natural difference between their more pale skins and complexions vs the Romans/Latins.

Academic source please
Classical source please
>>
>>386987
The pupils really let it down

They got lucky with the discoloration
>>
>>387049
Not much, like we don't have much Arab, Berber or Jewish blood, we are mainly how we were 3.000 years ago Specially in Basque Country .
>>
>>385177
Meat vs cereal based diet.
>>
>>386363
>dismissing something by calling it a meme
We already know Indo Europeans had very fair features and we have physical descriptions of roman emperors sharing these traits.

It's likely that they were not representative of the entire population though as the italic tribes assimilated many non indo european groups later on in the peninsula.

The upper class probably retained lighter features at a higher rate for a longer period of time compared to the average citizen. Remember slaves were often given freedom over a period of time and they made up a large percentage of the population.

I don't see how this is controversial though?
>>
>>388252
>the italic tribes assimilated many non indo european groups later on in the peninsula
Too bad that the italic tribes used to physically push the previous inhabitants away or kill them off, so not much intermarriage there. This kind of behaviour was reported by Pliny, Silius Italicus, Martial and others.
>>
>>386987
>accurate
>Caesar was already balding at that point in his life
>>
>>388459
Caesar was renowned for having a back to front comb-over, but you can't honestly expect THAT to be immortalized in marble.
>>
File: 1445638616396.jpg (3 MB, 3000x2400) Image search: [Google]
1445638616396.jpg
3 MB, 3000x2400
>>384942
>ethnic romans

Go back to /pol/
>>
they were similar to modern scandinavian people. any art you see where they look like modern italians has been altered by jews. they want to keep the white man down and hide our glorious history from us.
>>
>>388567
Not him, but what's wrong with that term? You could certainly use it for latins in republican times and italics at large during the principate.
>>
>>388634
It's just a bullshit term. European people have intermixed so much that its inaccurate to label people as anything other than south, east or North europeans
>>
>>385480
kek
>>
>>388656
>intermixed
Aren't we talking ethnicity here? The fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>388656
Back then people intermixed much less also if you live in Greece and intermarried with someone from Rome their genes would much less differentiate from African and Asian which would be much more common.
>>
Wops aint white

Greeks aint white

Spaniards aint white

Moortugal aint white
>>
File: image.jpg (99 KB, 550x377) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99 KB, 550x377
Italians are not white and never will be
>>
>>388329
The Italic peoples arrival in the peninsula occurred over 1000 years before these people even existed, I don't they had any actual knowledge of what happened when the indo Europeans arrived.

Besides you havent even given an argument of what this is supposed to prove.

We already know by looking at autosomal and y dna that there were many population changes
>>
They were true White Nords (probably descended from ancestors see stories of ancestors from space most likely from Orion's Belt world) with true master of telekentic power? How else build pyramids??? Also complete human sexual free... Only degeenerate human history corrupt indo-Aryan purity
>>
File: 132985735776.jpg (12 KB, 305x358) Image search: [Google]
132985735776.jpg
12 KB, 305x358
>>388737
muh enlightened brutha
>>
File: ethnicity.png (5 KB, 538x179) Image search: [Google]
ethnicity.png
5 KB, 538x179
>>388656
> European people have intermixed so much
I don't think that applies here
>>
>>388696
Am I too autistic to understand the sarcasm or there's none in your post?
>>
>>388686
t. Stormfront
>>
>>388737

I love this meem
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.