[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the face of this board General Sherman? Sherman ordered
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 8
File: Sherman.jpg (9 KB, 200x252) Image search: [Google]
Sherman.jpg
9 KB, 200x252
Why is the face of this board General Sherman?
Sherman ordered a bombardment of every city in the south he came across. “No consideration must be paid to the fact they are occupied by families, but the place must be cannonaded.”

He ordered his soldiers to rape women and children, then burn down their homes and eventually entire towns. He ordered his soldiers to kill every male, young or old even though they were not in the confederate army.

He was also known as a raging alcoholic that beat his wife and kids daily.
>>
>>20305

shut the fuck up
>>
shut the fuck up
>>
My fucking peasant, non slave owning ancestors were slaughtered by this piece of shit's soldiers.

If /his/ is going to ban offensive content why the fuck would you allow the war criminal as the face? Is it because I'm not Jewish so my suffering doesn't matter?!
>>
Fuck off Cletus
>>
Sherman is a pretty cool guy, eh burns dixie to the ground and doesn't afraid of anything
>>
>>20380
>"Bah gawd! Remembuh duh 60,000! Muh pappy was burned 7 times by duh evil yankee demons!"
>>
After all these years, the south is still triggered by one of the greatest american generals of all time.
>>
>>20380
You wanted a war, you got it.
>>
>>20380
>My fucking peasant, non slave owning ancestors were slaughtered by this piece of shit's soldiers.
then how did you post this?
>>
>>20380
Why are you here?
>>
>>20305

I'M NORTHERN
SON OF A BITCH SECESSIONIST
SOUTHERN IS PIG
DO YOU WANT A VIRGINIA HAM?
DO YOU WANT A CORN GRITS?
SOUTHERN IS PIG DISGUSTING
JEFFERSON DAVIS IS A MURDERER
FUCKING C.S.A
>>
This thread is hilarious
>>
>>20305
Its a black and white photo of a historical person looking all mean and shit.
The fact that nobody who isnt american cares about him isnt relevant.

It gets the job done. Dont nitpick.
>>
>>20469
Racist bigot

Go back to /pol/
>>20628
>My peasant ancestors had a say in political discussions
>>
>>20305

Umayyad Cletus?

>"You people of the South don't know what you are doing. This country will be drenched in blood, and God only knows how it will end. It is all folly, madness, a crime against civilization! You people speak so lightly of war; you don't know what you're talking about. War is a terrible thing! You mistake, too, the people of the North. They are a peaceable people but an earnest people, and they will fight, too. They are not going to let this country be destroyed without a mighty effort to save it... Besides, where are your men and appliances of war to contend against them? The North can make a steam engine, locomotive, or railway car; hardly a yard of cloth or pair of shoes can you make. You are rushing into war with one of the most powerful, ingeniously mechanical, and determined people on Earth—right at your doors. You are bound to fail. Only in your spirit and determination are you prepared for war. In all else you are totally unprepared, with a bad cause to start with. At first you will make headway, but as your limited resources begin to fail, shut out from the markets of Europe as you will be, your cause will begin to wane. If your people will but stop and think, they must see in the end that you will surely fail."
>>
>>20305
its an old /b/ meme about how based the guy was and how he was the epitome of /b/ , 4chan etc
>>
>>20935
BASED

he was absolutely right in this

Let me guess the CSA's response: "If"

BAHAHAHA
>>
>>20944

>implying he wasn't based
>>
File: laughing slavs.jpg (23 KB, 273x252) Image search: [Google]
laughing slavs.jpg
23 KB, 273x252
>>20305
>He ordered his soldiers to rape women and children, then burn down their homes and eventually entire towns.
Sounds like a swell guy
>>
>>20305

William Tecumseh Sherman should be on the one dollar bill for the amount of butthurt he caused the south.

Greatest american hero since GI Joe.
>>
>>20305
put someone like charlemagne theres someone who made history
not some random ass general who give to the shittiest tanks of the world his name.
>>
File: 1446357578180.gif (58 KB, 200x252) Image search: [Google]
1446357578180.gif
58 KB, 200x252
>>
>>20935
>shut out from the markets of Europe as you will be
dem Anacondas
>>
File: s07pLQZ.jpg (69 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
s07pLQZ.jpg
69 KB, 320x240
>>20380

Your ancestors didn't die for you to bitch on the internet, lad.
>>
>>21230

Desutbh if they'd rebelled 20 years earlier, the Brits might have actually joined them as they'd hoped. But 1860s Britain was 1996 USA-tier, and was cementing its control on India whose Cotton exports they could keep at a flat 2% global tariff. The CSA wasn't worth it by a long shot.
>>
>>21450
This racism is allowed of course because poor rural whites don't deserve equality.
>>
>>21493
he's le mad :^)
>>
>>21545
>>>/pol/
>>
>>21630

That was lazy even by reddit standards desu-kun.

What he said wasn't even close to /pol/-tier at all.
>>
>>20305
Because the mods are undoubtedly Yankeks
>>
>>21652
If you disagree with me GTFO my board
>>>/pol/
>>
>>20305
I don't get why Southerners are mad. It's war. The goal is victory, there's no rules or honor. You secede and start a war, that's what you get.
>>
>>21652
It was my ebin meme face that scared him :^)™
>>
File: Obi-Wan_EpIII.jpg (19 KB, 688x433) Image search: [Google]
Obi-Wan_EpIII.jpg
19 KB, 688x433
>>21799

>If you disagree with me GTFO my board

Only a shitposter deals in absolutes
>>
>>21813
Because this particular general went overboard. Basically try to annilate his own people. Southerners don't hate Grant for example.
>>
>>21886
Too bad. Stay mad.
>>
>>21886
>We are not only fighting armies, but a hostile people, and must make old and young, rich and poor, feel the hard hand of war, as well as their organized armies. I know that this recent movement of mine through Georgia has had a wonderful effect in this respect. Thousands who had been deceived by their lying papers into the belief that we were being whipped all the time, realized the truth, and have no appetite for a repetition of the same experience.
>>
>>21950
Not mad at all, not even southern, just annoyed at people gloating over war against civilians.
>>
>>21999
War sucks. Sometimes that's what it takes.
>>
>>21975
Wait, so you're defending him sending his soldiers to kill and rape women and children by using his own words?
>>
>>20935
>Umayyad
Clever.
>>
>>22015
You're right. Sometimes the Jews need to get holocausted Amirite? War is wacky!
>>
File: 1302855808814.png (59 KB, 1481x840) Image search: [Google]
1302855808814.png
59 KB, 1481x840
>>22028
>>
>>22025
>... IV. The army will forage liberally on the country during the march. To this end, each brigade commander will organize a good and sufficient foraging party, under the command of one or more discreet officers, who will gather, near the route traveled, corn or forage of any kind, meat of any kind, vegetables, corn-meal, or whatever is needed by the command, aiming at all times to keep in the wagons at least ten day's provisions for the command and three days' forage. Soldiers must not enter the dwellings of the inhabitants, or commit any trespass, but during a halt or a camp they may be permitted to gather turnips, apples, and other vegetables, and to drive in stock of their camp. To regular foraging parties must be instructed the gathering of provisions and forage at any distance from the road traveled.
V. To army corps commanders alone is entrusted the power to destroy mills, houses, cotton-gins, &c., and for them this general principle is laid down: In districts and neighborhoods where the army is unmolested no destruction of such property should be permitted; but should guerrillas or bushwhackers molest our march, or should the inhabitants burn bridges, obstruct roads, or otherwise manifest local hostility, then army commanders should order and enforce a devastation more or less relentless according to the measure of such hostility.
>>
>>22133
>VI. As for horses, mules, wagons, &c., belonging to the inhabitants, the cavalry and artillery may appropriate freely and without limit, discriminating, however, between the rich, who are usually hostile, and the poor or industrious, usually neutral or friendly. Foraging parties may also take mules or horses to replace the jaded animals of their trains, or to serve as pack-mules for the regiments or brigades. In all foraging, of whatever kind, the parties engaged will refrain from abusive or threatening language, and may, where the officer in command thinks proper, give written certificates of the facts, but no receipts, and they will endeavor to leave with each family a reasonable portion for their maintenance.
>VII. Negroes who are able-bodied and can be of service to the several columns may be taken along, but each army commander will bear in mind that the question of supplies is a very important one and that his first duty is to see to them who bear arms....
>>
It's obvious.

He triggers /pol/ and southerners. A win in my book.
>>
>>22053
>literally comparing sherman to hitler
>>
>>22193
>viewing civilians as an enemy who needs to be raped and killed

Did the Boers deserve it? Did the anti-soviet peoples in east Europe? Did the Chinese?
>>
>>22247
He didn't. His job was to destroy the Confederacy's ability to wage war. He did that.
>>
>>22271
>we had to destroy the village to save it
>>
>>20305
He was a scholar of culture and history, and that taught him that the culture of the South was wholly incompatible with the ideal society of his commander and had to be purged if he wanted a victory to be true. As a good general, his goals were to follow orders and have a complete victory first, and consider ethics and empathy second. He is also a fascinating historical character because of how simultaneously forward-thinking, perceptive, and also cruel and selectively amoral he was. Too bad his commander was evil.
>>
>>22379
Yes. We did the same thing to Germany and Japan.
>>
File: life.gif (964 KB, 397x658) Image search: [Google]
life.gif
964 KB, 397x658
>being a southerner
God bless.
>>
>>22469
>our WWII generals commanded their men to kill and rape women and children
>we should be proud of this, couldn't have won WWII without mass War Rape.
>>
>>22552
>being an imperialist

South and north would be happier separate and you know it. The USA will break up, it's only a matter of time.
>>
>>22379
>Saving

The South conducts multiple raids to the North and they want a gentleman's warfare in return?
>>
>>22567
>we should be proud of this
I never said that.
>>
>>22552
i have yet to see the full clip of leboof doing that weird shit

how was it so different from any other goofy shit done that it achieves meme status
>>
>>20305
Butthurt southerners BTFO
>>
>>22604
DOWN WITH THE UNION

Jew controlled yanks are the worst
>>
>>20305
Why did they chose American history as the face? It's literally the worst possible option
>>
>>22658
Whites BTFO

Can't wait till their a minority in the USA
>>
>>22697
What country should it be?
>>
>>22705
>>22690
Keep crying /pol/.

I'll see you in Civil War threads.
>>
>>22567
The point of the march was removing the ability to wage war through property and morale destruction. It's analogous to the bombing campaigns during WWII.
>>
>>22789
I'm not even American, I just saw gangs of New York lol
>>
>>22789

>Falling for shitposting b8

/pol/ has been failing of late due to exactly this.

This is a history board. /b/ shitposting and /int/ 'banter' have sadly become a part of /pol/ culture, don't go down that road.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ8xhSPo41g

Our campfires shone bright on the mountains,
That frowned on the river below;
While we stood by our guns in the morning,
And eagerly watched for the foe,
When a rider came out of the darkness
That hung over mountain and tree,
And shouted "Boys! up and be ready,"
For Sherman will march to the sea.

Then forward boys! Forward to battle!
We marched on our wearisome way;
And we stormed the wild hills of Resaca,
God bless those who fell on that day!
Then Kennesaw, dark in its glory
Frowned down on the flag of the free,
But the East and the West bore our Standards
When Sherman marched down to the sea.

Still onward we pressed till our banners
Swept out from the Atlanta's grim walls,
And the blood of the patriots dampened
The soil where the Traitor flag falls,
Yes we paused not to weep for the fallen,
Who sleep by each river and tree.
But we twined that a wreath of the laurel,
When Sherman marched down to the sea.
>>
>>21813
War, especially during the time, had rules and honor. Grant and Lee were very strong in their honorable fighting and upheld their honor even to the final battle. Grant refused to let his men celebrate their victory in front of the confederates at the surrender of the army of Northern Virginia in the Appomattox court house. Grant did not want to dishonor his fellow Americans. Sherman most certainly did.
>>
>>20305
Because hick Southerner tears are glorious

t. floridian
>>
>>20305
because he is a true hero of the world and we need more people like him
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.