[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Late Bronze Age collapse
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
What happened, anons?

"The Late Bronze Age collapse was a transition in the Aegean Region, Southwestern Asia and the Eastern Mediterranean from the Late Bronze Age to the Early Iron Age that historians believe was violent, sudden and culturally disruptive. The palace economy of the Aegean Region and Anatolia which characterised the Late Bronze Age was replaced, after a hiatus, by the isolated village cultures of the Greek Dark Ages.

Between 1206 and 1150 BC, the cultural collapse of the Mycenaean kingdoms, the Hittite Empire in Anatolia and Syria,[1] and the New Kingdom of Egypt in Syria and Canaan interrupted trade routes and severely reduced literacy. In the first phase of this period, almost every city between Pylos and Gaza was violently destroyed, and often left unoccupied thereafter: examples include Hattusa, Mycenae, and Ugarit.[3] Drews writes "Within a period of forty to fifty years at the end of the thirteenth and the beginning of the twelfth century almost every significant city in the eastern Mediterranean world was destroyed, many of them never to be occupied again" (p. 4)."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_Bronze_Age_collapse
>>
>>358389
Archaeologists at the Institute of Archaeology at Tel Aviv University say that a succession of severe droughts over a 150-year period from 1250 BCE to about 1100 BCE was the culprit.

By studying fossilized pollen samples beneath the Sea of Galilee, they noticed a succession of severe droughts from the time when the Bronze Age began collapsing. Oaks, pines, carobs and olives began to be replaced by desert vegetation species, indicating that horticulture was suffering serious climate change. These changes set off population migrations.
>>
Volcanic activity resulting into climate change, crops failing, hungry desperate fuckers trying to colonize new lands resulting into a civilization collapsing.

Also nice backdrop for Conan the Barbarian.
>>
Extreme drought drove people from Italy and Illyria to get on boats and raid the south for food. When they realised there was none, some of them hung around and declared it an invasion. They weren't literate people and their unmet high expectations caused a lot of anger, so they destroyed lots of clay tablets and displaced the population.

When you have an inferior culture displacing a superior culture, you have what's essentially a dark age.

The only literate culture that survived was Jewish, since most of their civilisation was inland around the sea of Galilee and the dead sea.

>>358409
This is possible too, there's record of lots of earthquakes around that time. Basically something caused famine in the north and they decided to raid instead of go hungry.
>>
>>358389
>http://www.truth-out.org/archive/item/63843-vale-to-babylon

Here you go
There's more if you want
>>
>>358389
Ancient Greeks, ancient Sardinians, ancient Palestine, ancient Juden and ancient Etruscans fucking shit up
>>
>>358453
Thanks!
>>
White people ruined everything. As usual.
>>
File: 1410638290369.jpg (443 KB, 513x720) Image search: [Google]
1410638290369.jpg
443 KB, 513x720
>>358464
Fucking sea peoples.
>>
>>358596
Ha I wish I could've seen these guys land and slap the shit out of some plebs.
>>
File: bronze age collapse.png (223 KB, 624x1060) Image search: [Google]
bronze age collapse.png
223 KB, 624x1060
>>358389
>>
>>358972
Horseshit.
>>
>>359606
I don't know shit about the bronze age but I believe new views are deserve ring of being posted.
>>
All I know is that Xenophon wrote a little bit about the corpses of long-abandoned cities in Asia Minor, with reference to the idea that maybe the same happened up by where the Crimea was.

If the dark ages were real, then: Mongols!
>>
>>358389
bump
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.