[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ancient Civilizations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: img_26461.jpg (3 MB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
img_26461.jpg
3 MB, 3072x2304
What is your favorite ancient civilization? And why?

I'd personally have to go with Ancient Egypt. Their culture, architecture, religion, art... I just find it all so fascinating.
>>
Greeks
>>
Ancient Rome on the account that the Punic Wars were just damn awesome.
>>
>>18694
Old Sumeria personally. I guess mostly because of the mystique of being the crib of human civilization. It makes even what little we know right now feel more weighty.
>>
>>18694
Mine isn't a civilization per se, but the Diadochi period is endlessly fascinating. Caused enough infighting that Rome was able to consolidate and expand, as well as having some based Great People
>>
Aztec/Mayan. Two different things I know, but simple enough to study in conjunction. Some simply incredible civilizations.
>>
>>19075
Fantastic choices.
>>
I'm learning about ancient Mesopotamia and Babylon and Assyria and Akkad seem hardcore as fuck. Those names nigga

>Nebuchadnezzar
>Ashurbanipal
>Sargon of Akkad
>Xerxes
>Balthazar
>>
>>18783
I think the wars between Rome & Byzantine vs Parthia & Persia were even better in terms of impact, influence, and duration on Europe, Med world, Near East, and Central Asia then the Punic Wars between Carthage and Rome.

Anyway favorite civilizations are Persia, Rome, and Byzantine.
>>
Glorious ROMA. I especially love their military.
>>
>>22369
which one? There's like 3 big periods and more little ones
>>
Inca, ancient Egypt, Sumeria.
They knew more then we allowed to think.
>>
>>22413
Polybian and Marian
>>
I don't know enough about them to really talk about them too much, but I really like ancient Sumerian civilizations. Reading about them gives me this 'beginning of the world' kinda feeling, if that makes sense. I want to learn more about native american civilizations but it's harder to find easily accessible (ie spoonfeeding) information on that matter
>>
>>22479
wait Polybian as in Greek phalanx?
>>
>>19075
praise xolotl
>>
>>22479
>>22479
Oh wait, you meant Rome itself? Pre-division Empire then.
>>
>>22498
if you're ever in new york the natural history museum in NYC has a very interesting and extensive exhibit about the native civilizations that existed in the eastern woodlands.
>>
>>20518
>Byzantine
I don't want to bring up the Byzantine are Roman or not argument but your choice is still Rome but with more Greek influence.
>>
>>22540
no I meant structural history
>>
>>20437
Very interesting period in time full of ancient wonders of the world. Nebuchadnezzar is ma nigga
>>
>>18694
The Vedic.
>>
>>22548
Never been to New York and don't have any plans to do at the moment, but I was more referencing South American civilizations. You don't hear about North American natives having stable civilizations so I was just never interested in them.
>>
>>22556
Marian then.
>>
>>22777
correct choice
>>
Phoenicians. Alphabet and the fact that their successor was Carthage.
>>
>>18694

Greek city states

Really just an amazing period of constant power struggles and the rise and fall of many cities in power
>>
File: minoan_680_4.jpg (110 KB, 680x382) Image search: [Google]
minoan_680_4.jpg
110 KB, 680x382
>Minoan civilization
The most technological advanced civilization of the world at their time.
Functional toilets with plumbing.
Amazing art.
Bare tits.
>Ancient greece
Pedofriendly
Plato redpilling the populace
>Ancient rome
Amazing everything.
Hedonism.
Gaius & Aulus bros4lyfe never forget
>>
>>23186
>Ancient rome
>The most technological advanced civilization of the world at their time.
China. Or whatever the Chinese dynasty was called at the time
>>
Ancient egypt too because I'm balck and it makes me proud of my culture and ancessestors
>>
File: 1394237173002.jpg (273 KB, 1694x780) Image search: [Google]
1394237173002.jpg
273 KB, 1694x780
>>23228
You're wrong.
It's han dynasty btw,I knew this would come along since aparently a current wave of revisionism wants to enforce the idea that Europe was always a shithole before colonialism.
Have a read,its a very short article but it compares production and engineering between empires using empirical data,Romes comes on top by a large margin.
>>
>>23411
Oh shit forgot the link https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Comparison_between_Roman_and_Han_Empires
>>
Lydia

every woman was a prostitute apparently
>>
File: London-hipster-012.jpg (98 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
London-hipster-012.jpg
98 KB, 620x372
The Garamantes

It's alright, I didn't think you would've heard about them
>>
>>23618
>Garamantes
>advanced civilization in ancient southwestern Libya. They used an elaborate underground irrigation system, and founded prosperous Berber kingdoms or city-states in the Fezzan area of modern-day Libya, in the Sahara desert

I'm getting a strong Fremen vibe here
>>
Sumerian Empire
Carthage
Minoan

Lately I've red a lot about the Inca. Pretty cool because its semi stone age, lots of wars and is a mountain empire(mountains are mostly boundaries, but the Incas did the oposite).
>>
>>23411
God bless Europa and her people. We truly are the most based culture x hominids.
>>
>>18694
i was admiring the architecture of those ruins when i noticed the architecture of that girls ass
hnnnnggggggghhhhhh
also for question cant say havent really looked at too many ancient civs other than some pre columbian ones . i thought the moche were pretty neat
>>
File: 1444287772245.jpg (264 KB, 721x784) Image search: [Google]
1444287772245.jpg
264 KB, 721x784
The ancient civilization(s) that left monuments on Mars.
>>
Personally I really like Carthage and the Cathaginians. Their mercantile prowess and how they conducted their affairs was strikingly different from the Romans. I wonder what history would have looked like if they won the punic wars.
>>
>>23859
It's not semi stone age its well and truly stone age.
>>
>>23991
They had metals
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.