[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much of a failure has the supporting of the Mujahideen turned
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
How much of a failure has the supporting of the Mujahideen turned out to be in the long-run for the USA and its allies?

Were they justified in supporting the Mujahideen after the Soviets intervened at the request of the Afghan government? Were the Soviets justified in intervening in the first place?

I think you'd be hard-pressed to say life for the average Afghani improved after the Communists fell.
>>
>>321216
Depends on how you would interpret the aims of US foreign policy on whether or not supporting the Mujahideen hurt the US in the long-run.

Outside of the material and human cost of 9/11, the war in Afghanistan and the greater war on terror the US now has an enemy to point to; something that was lacking after the USSR collapsed and something that can be very unifying among regular people.

The DRA wasn't a paradise either, quality of life was definitely better than it has been under the Taliban but they still executed a lot of people.
>>
>>321216
I'd like to know if arming rebel groups who are opposed to countries you don't like has EVER worked. The people being armed always seem to be worse than the people they're against.
>>
>>321216
National security adviser Zbigniew Brzezinski, speaking to members of the Mujahideen early on in the conflict - "We know of your deep belief in God, and we are confident that your struggle will succeed. That land over there is yours, you'll go back to it one day because your fight will prevail and you'll have your homes and your mosques back again, because your cause is right and God is on your side"

I wonder how this guy feels now, knowing what the Mujahideen evolved into.
>>
>Afghan government

>a bunch of Soviet funded commies take over the country by force
>people don't like them, civil war starts
>RASHA PLS HALP
>Russia flattens the place to the stone age and kills 2 million civilians

lmao

And the same commie retards making excuses for this will tell you Vietnam war was a heinous imperialist crime
>>
>>321981
They evolved into the Northern Alliance that fought the Taliban in the 90s and was ironically supported by Russia (and Iran)
>>
>>321902
it worked for France.
>>
>>321895
>>321216
9/11 was a mistake because of America's overreaction to it. We should have just fired a few chair force officers until they got the memo
>>
>>321216
Russia was "justified" since their ally was about to fall, and America was "justified" because their allies needed their help.
Of course, it ended up being a horrible failure for us, since it created the Taliban and Al-Qaeda, and gave them a place to grow for a decade.
Hindsight is always 20/20.
>>
>>322006
Well let's be honest with ourselves, it's not like anyone ever liked the Afghans.
>>
>>321216
>>321981
>stingers are the reason hundreds of millions of muslims believe Islam is the one true government
whoever invented the stinger sure must feel terrible for what he's done
>>
Well It's ruined Pakistan beyond repair or nearly beyond repair.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.