[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: We discuss the greatest empire in world history. Why were
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 25
File: empiretrade.jpg (150 KB, 808x481) Image search: [Google]
empiretrade.jpg
150 KB, 808x481
ITT: We discuss the greatest empire in world history.

Why were they so based /his/? Could they have civilized the world if not for the stinky German "war machine"?
>>
You don't really get to use quotes as an attempt to deride something when that something ground the entire continent to a halt twice, Anon. Even if they lost.
That said, the british were pretty based. But "civilizing the world"? Nah, not even close.
>>
>have a system of law that allows independent corporations to exist and be safe from arbitrary taxation and government interference
>be close enough to continental Europe to pick up on new ideas but far enough away that any semi-competent defender can hold off an invasion
>have massive collieries and iron mines right near each other
>????????
>Industrial Revolution

Of course, the whole corporation thing actually helped the British empire hugely even before the advent of the Industrial Era.
>>
File: 1391484752413.png (12 KB, 382x414) Image search: [Google]
1391484752413.png
12 KB, 382x414
>>310062
>Le Eternal Anglo

Fuck 'em.
>>
Marathas. The rest are bunch of pussies.
>>
>>310062
Why were anglos so reluctant to pass the torch to Germany back on early XX century? For the look of it they happily gave up their empire, european hegemony and millions of lives just to kek the germans from global super power status, pride truly comes before collapse.
>>
File: 1442157268544.png (165 KB, 960x898) Image search: [Google]
1442157268544.png
165 KB, 960x898
If only we could weaponise the butthurt of the continentals.
>>
>>311070
Argie got a new conservative president (THANK FUCKING GOD), hopefully they don't fuck around as much now.

Either way, Chile got your back m8
>>
File: ByzantmemeEmpire.png (946 KB, 1600x1029) Image search: [Google]
ByzantmemeEmpire.png
946 KB, 1600x1029
>>310062
>ITT: We discuss the greatest empire in world history.
Alright. What did you want to know about the Byzantines?
>>
>>311106
They made really bad decisions and then got shat on by kebab

They're also a meme.
>>
>>311106
CROATIA
R
O
A
T
I
A
>>
File: 1437859630119.gif (763 KB, 450x255) Image search: [Google]
1437859630119.gif
763 KB, 450x255
BIDF pls go
>>
>>310062
>the greatest empire in world history

>my mom is the best mom in the world
>>
>>311177
Welcome to patriotism
>>
>>311198
I don't watch NFL bra.
>>
>>310062
>British
>greatest empire

Nah m8.

Here's the big difference between Romans and the British/Mongols.

They actually tried to integrate the local populations they conquered. While the other two may have been much larger, the Mongols collapsed into infighting after just two Great Khans and both they and the British Empire were maintained on repression of the locals, alone. Even in India, the so-called Jewel of the British Empire. They did not endear the local populaces to themselves.

Now to say the Romans didn't do this would be completely false, of course, but they at least offered a means for conquered peoples to become citizens and receive equal treatment.

Even after the abolition of slavery throughout the British Empire the local populaces were still looked down upon simply for being so foreign. And the Mongols held nothing but absolute disdain for any non-Mongolians.
>>
>>311300
Forgot to add

>Could they have civilized the world

That would require them to be civilised in the first place.
>>
OP, you will only get Anglo hate. People have been brainwashed by their marxist professors of post-colonial studies that the british were le ebil exploiter who oppressed poor PoC.

Heck, you already have a moron ITT comparing the british to the mongol empire and saying Rome was more humane in its treatment of natives...
>>
>>310261
If this isn't bait I just wanna tell you that you have a knowledge of history that's about equal to that of a 12 year old kid with down syndrome.

If it is bait then well done.
>>
>>311300
>they at least offered a means for conquered peoples to become citizens and receive equal treatment
None Romans did not ever get equal treatment, they were treated better for going along with what the Romans demanded of then, where did you get this idea from?
>the local populaces were still looked down upon simply for being so foreign.
The Romans were very racist to other people's who weren't Greek or Roman.
>>311306
Well now its just obvious you're butthurt.
>>
>>311300
The romans despised their subjects. The reason european countries still call their home the motherland is hecause rome incarnated them as women in their triumphal reliefs, due to romulus being maale and them seeing conquest as a literal act of rape. They only expanded roman citizenship due to outside pressures from the social war onwards, and only under cllaudius when it was becoming politically irrelevant. Even the greeks were despised, for all their learning. One supposed reason for the original wars against greek states was the grecian influence forruptng roman yoouth. Auxiliaries in the army were also routinely seen as manipulated slaves. Divide and conquer, remember. Its no ideal dictum- dont belief the rhetoric.
>>
>>311399
On phone, sorry for typos
>>
>>310062
Tbh if America could play by the same rules the UK could we'd probably rule the whole world by now but "muh human rights" is the reason why we don't.
>>
>>311399
>The reason european countries still call their home the motherland is hecause rome incarnated them as women in their triumphal reliefs, due to romulus being maale and them seeing conquest as a literal act of rape.
I think it's more because lands and states are usually grammatically feminine. It's Roma, not Romus.
>>
Eh, Roman Empire was far superior.
>>
>>311409
Americans don't need to have an empire, they have global capitalist hegemony which is even better.
>>
>>311410
An interesting point i dint think of, but we do have concrete eampe like britannica- her first depiciton is her being dragged along the ground by her bair, right breast exposed (the stylisation of ape) by the triumphant romulus. I suppose im especially fond of the theory since theres a certain hilarious strain of feminist pseudotheorising about 'mother godesses/WOMAN RULING EVERYTHING ONCE,WE WUZ QUEENS surrounding national goddeses. I love he idea of it being a roman cock waving exercise and f 'haha look at tbe weak pathetic women.'
>>
>>311446
Fuck i hate this phone.
>>
File: 99888934.jpg (146 KB, 851x630) Image search: [Google]
99888934.jpg
146 KB, 851x630
>>310062
>please tell me how great my country was 150 years ago whilst I masturbate
>>
>>311106
>1045
Was this just before they lost a lot of Anatolia or had they conquered it back at this point?
>>
File: why I'm antisocial roman.jpg (50 KB, 836x874) Image search: [Google]
why I'm antisocial roman.jpg
50 KB, 836x874
>>310062
just so we are clear, this is about the roman empire right?
>>
File: paxbrittanica.jpg (66 KB, 500x371) Image search: [Google]
paxbrittanica.jpg
66 KB, 500x371
Talk of "greatest" aside, the British Empire is massively important historically.

This was the very first truly global organization. A quarter of the earth's surface, and roughly the same percentage of its inhabitants. All run from a small insignificant island off Europe. Put together by war, commerce and a lot of bluff.

Pretty remarkable story, whether you are pro or con.

Recommended reading for all /his/torians: Jan Morris' incredible 'Pax Brittanica' trilogy.
>>
>>311587
About 20 years before before
>>
>>311559
better to have once been a roaring flame than never grown beyond a candle
>>
>>311631
It looks like Jon Morris only writes about the fall of the empire, and i don't really care about that much desu
>>
>>311559
>goes on /his/
>complains people are talking about the past
>>
>>311640
*better live one day as a lion than hundred years as a sheep
>>
File: napier481.jpg (608 KB, 1131x1802) Image search: [Google]
napier481.jpg
608 KB, 1131x1802
>>311641

No, the trilogy goes from Victoria's ascension to the throne up to Winston Churchill's death.

Heaven's Command -- Pax Brittanica -- Farewell the Trumpets.

It's an enjoyable read, full of gossipy asides about famous Victorians.
>>
File: lolbrit.png (477 KB, 886x2414) Image search: [Google]
lolbrit.png
477 KB, 886x2414
>>310062
Largest empire, definitly
Greatest empire, not even close

Greatness = glory =/= conquering technologically backward savages
>>
File: napier482.jpg (645 KB, 1131x1802) Image search: [Google]
napier482.jpg
645 KB, 1131x1802
>>311713

More Morris on Napier:
>>
>>310078
Fucking this. We owe the modern world to Britain. God bless the enlightenment and the industrial revolution.
>>
>>311743

>Spanish empire

> Only this

Yeah, I know anglos a masters in lying and in stabbing your back..
>>
File: 1387692701212.jpg (547 KB, 1200x967) Image search: [Google]
1387692701212.jpg
547 KB, 1200x967
>>311774
Reminder
>>
>>311778
Have you a two digit IQ?
The pic implies that European empires are more glorious than colonial empires
All of the countries on the pic had a colonial empire too, but Britain never had any european empire which is why its colonial empire (inherently less impressive) is displayed instead

Tl;dr it's a pic mocking Britain for never having been able to conquer Europe while every other Western European country did
>>
>>311743
The Spanish hold on the holy roman empire lasted for one king and the Napoleonic empire in Europe was around for less than 20 years. Also the Romans conquered a lot of technologically backwards savages. Those savages just so happened to be white
>>
>>311799
>"Baww Spain lasted only one lifespan"
>"Baww France lasted only two decades"
>No comment made on Germany's pathetic 4 years

Spotted the Germanboo
>>
It's not an empire untill the campaign is over and the are secure, imho
>>
>>311788
>>311743
Except the fact that Roman empire literally conquered savages and niggers same as Britain and that nowadays Italy has nothing to do with Rome except the geographical location.

Also Spain didn't conquer shit, it was one of the "conquered" provinces of Habsbourgs, who can be arguably put only behind Austria, but have no national alliegance anyway.
>>
>>311743
>he says in English on an English image board

lel
>>
>>311887
America, the country that made English language relevant and created 4chan, left the British empire before it even became "great" in the 19th century
>>
>>311300

>Mongols collapsed into infighting after just two Great Khans.

It was after three Great Khans.

1: Genghis
2: Ogedei
3: Möngke

After those 3 no Khan ever had full command over all mongols.
>>
File: 1378136950229.gif (1 MB, 288x198) Image search: [Google]
1378136950229.gif
1 MB, 288x198
>>311896
America made the English language relevant?

>mfw
>>
>>311834

The romans fought against the Sassanids, the Parthians, the Greeks and the Carthagians and and the end they managed to defeat 3 of those.

Whom did the British defeat?
>>
>>311912
It's true, pathetic Englishman in denial
America made English the lingua franca

>French replaced Latin as the most important language of diplomacy and international relations (lingua franca) in the 17th century. It retained this role until approximately the middle of the 20th century, when it was replaced by English as the United States became the dominant global power following the Second World War.[40][41
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_language#History

Ever wondered why the Germans in 1914 (height of the British Empire) talked to British officials in French ("chiffon de papier")?
Because even at the height of its empire, Britain wasnt relevant enough to make English the international language

It's only after WW2 than America managed to make English the lingua franca thank to its political and cultural (hollywood, rock'n'roll...etc) dominance.

You can thank us, bong.
We made "your" language great.
>>
>>311924
From which, only Greeks are located on Europe, so that map is still misleading.

Also Brits defeated the Frog, else they would never get northern America, plus defeating Inds and Ottomans wasn't really a walk through the park as well.
>>
>>311924
>Whom did the British defeat?

The Zulu Kingdom and the Zanzibar Sultanate.
Be impressed
>>
>>311942
Except the English Language was already the language of trade in much of Africa and India. You know amongst like a 1/4 of the world's population. America accelerated what already was in place.
>>
>>311942
Also I'm not English you silly goose
>>
>>310062
I've always wondered why Brits think anyone cares about their empire or history.
>>
>>311946

They did not defeat the Frogs completely, else they would have their lands too.
>>
>>311958
>Forgetting the French under Napoleon, The Germans numerous times, the Russians, The Americans, The Chinese
>>
File: indx.png (83 KB, 322x994) Image search: [Google]
indx.png
83 KB, 322x994
>>311946
>Also Brits defeated the Frog, else they would never get northern America

Yeah, they outnumbered the frogs 4 to 1 in America while their main army was fighting Prussia in Europe, and yet it still took an entire fucking decade to beat them

Not very glorious, but still the most glorious part of Britain's empire building when you know the rest was conquered by outnumbering savages with spears and mowing them down with machine gun...
>>
>>311946
>Inds

They did not defeat India while it was under strong Mughal rule, they had to wait until the civil wars started.

>Ottomans

The Habsburgs defeated them in Europe and not the British.
>>
>>311967
Well i guess the Allies didn't defeat Germany as well then, or that GB+Prussia didn't really defeat Napoleonic France
>>
>>311972
>Forgetting the French under Napoleon, The Germans numerous times

Britain only played a small part among a huge alliance for those
And it wasnt part of the empire building
>>
>>311982

Germany was fully occupied in 1945 and split to the winning nations.
>>
>>311962
>in much of Africa and India.

Oh sorry, I throught we were discussing its relevance (aka use in first world countries)
>>
>>311994
Oh no I'm losing the argument better make an arbitrary qualifier
>>
>>311989
Ok you can make that argument for WW2 but for the Napoleonic wars. Britain was the main force behind the coalitions, and defeated the French many times in Spain not to mention waterloo. Also in ww1 they were vital to the allied war effort else the French would have been fucked up by the Germans after the Russians dropped out.
>>
>>312001
Losing the argument?
How?
English being the main language in British held areas is obvious.

The thing is that English language only achieved lingua franca statut when it started being used by other powers as international language.
And it happened only after WW2

No one cares if Indians and Zulus spoke English in 1914, fact is that the Germans adressed the British in fucking French, so lingua franca statut was still far from achieved for English language
>>
>>311972
Britain didn't defeat any of those. At best it was a minor part of a large alliance that defeated them.
>>
>>312032
Britain was militarily almost completely irrelevant during the Napoleonic Wars. It just paid other countries to attack France. And in WW1, a typical battle would be 90% French troops and 10% British.

Britain was never any good at warfare. What it's good at is scheming and paying off allies, and that sort of diplomacy to get other countries to fight in their place.
>>
>>312032
>Britain was the main force behind the coalitions, and defeated the French many times in Spain not to mention waterloo.

Are you trolling or just ignorant?
Was Britain present at Leipzig? Or at the 1814 Battle of Paris?
As for Waterloo, there were only 25,000 British out of 118,000 allied troops...
The nations that contributed the most to defeating Napoleon were in that order:

1. Russia
2. Austria
3. Prussia
...power gap
4. Britain
>>
>>311978
>>311981
Well i didn't really want to turn into the Brit defender here, but i'm gonna play the cards i got

The main power of British empire wasn't in land combat, but navy, they surpassed the Spanish there and they beat the Dutch and French there. Plus it was a giant help in even maintaining and expanding their enormous empire and why its trade didn't just crumble to the pirates.
It all comes from their position, why would they bother in land combat when they can just crush anybody before he even reaches the land?
>>
>>311972

>French under Napoleon

Took an entire coalition of nations to defeat Napoleon, the British were just a small part in those.

>The Germans numerous times

Which battles and wars have you won against the germans 1vs1?

>the Russians

You mean the Crimean War? You just gangbanged them together with France and the Ottoman's.

>The Americans

No you lost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Revolutionary_War

>The Chinese

Ok here you won, but the chinese under the Qing were anything but strong. They still used Crossbows for example.
Should have tried messing with the Ming to proove your strenght.
>>
>>312104
>It all comes from their position, why would they bother in land combat when they can just crush anybody before he even reaches the land?

Because they couldn't defeat countries that focused on Infantry battles rather then navies.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child's_War
>>
>>312110
>Which battles and wars have you won against the germans 1vs1?

Don't go that way m8, it's cruel
Britain is the only nation in Europe that has literally never fought a war against another european power 1vs1
The only wars they ever fought by themselves were colonial wars against backward tribes
>>
File: übermensch.png (94 KB, 344x340) Image search: [Google]
übermensch.png
94 KB, 344x340
>>310112
Stay mad Frtiz.

;^)
>>
>>312061
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vitoria
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Somme
https://en.wikipedia.org
/wiki/British_Army_during_the_Napoleonic_Wars
>The British infantry was "the only military force not to suffer a major reverse at the hands of Napoleonic France."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_1812
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peninsular_War
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walcheren_Campaign
pls go
>>
File: 1444840335047.gif (463 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1444840335047.gif
463 KB, 500x500
>>312138
You mean Jerry.
>>
>>312140
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vitoria
Irrelevant theater
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Somme
Only make up for half the troops
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_1812
It sure helped to defeat Napoleon
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peninsular_War
Irrelevant theater
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walcheren_Campaign
Nice failure
I guess that's what happened when Britain tried to open a relevant front
>>
>>312162
Ok now i know your trolling, the Peninsular war was not as big a deal as the invasion of Russia, but irreverent theater? Don't be a spanner
>>
>>312123
So they bit their time waiting for the situation to be more in their favor. And when it was, they used it right.

They didn't build their empire through mere strenght, they used intelligence, logistics, swiftness, trade and focused their strenght where they needed it. There is nothing wrong with that. Its actually called being smart and its what separates humans from animals.
>>
File: WASP.jpg (439 KB, 452x624) Image search: [Google]
WASP.jpg
439 KB, 452x624
>>311596
No.

Latins go home.
>>
>>310062
>given chance to ally with the Third Reich
>rejects it; forms alliance with Soviet Union
>gives half of Europe to communism
>lose empire
>get pozzed by non-whites; thousands of white girls are raped
>still hate Germans and believe Winston Churchill was a hero

Your "great" empire was nothing more than a tool for international jewry.
>>
File: 1445211787431.png (167 KB, 640x620) Image search: [Google]
1445211787431.png
167 KB, 640x620
>>312188
Anglos are Germanic. Don't fall for the bait.
>>
File: Russell-Brand[1].jpg (29 KB, 615x409) Image search: [Google]
Russell-Brand[1].jpg
29 KB, 615x409
>>312196

>Le Eternal Anglo
>white
>>
File: 1445958703438.gif (871 KB, 245x230) Image search: [Google]
1445958703438.gif
871 KB, 245x230
>>312210
>posts Hibernian
>complains about Anglos
>>
>>312196
Never said to hate anglos anon... I dont condone this divide and conquer tactic the kikes use...

That being said my point still stands.
>>
>>312140
>Somme
lol, you cherrypicked the one battle where Brits participated and that was turned into such a big deal by British propaganda that everybody believes it was Brits only, and even there half the troops were French.

>Vitoria
>Peninsular
Irrelevant to the actual war.

>1812
>Walcheren
lol, Britain lost those.
>>
Fuck the Yookai
>>
>>311981
>strong mughal rule
nice oxymoron you faggot
>>
>>311779
>quantifying "human accomplishment"
0/10
>>
>>313444
Portuguese detected
>>
>>313462
Old stock Anglo-American, actually.
>>
>>312110
>>Using whit and guile to fight wars you can win
>LOLOLOLOL
>SHIT EMPIRE
>>
>Britain had the largest empire of all time
>Years later people argue on the internet that it wasnt that great

If you dont think the British Empire in the 19th century was based there is something wrong with you, and this is coming from a proud americlap.
>>
Actually I was watching John Green and he says the greatest empire was actually the Mali empire. He brings up many good points to back up his claim.
>>
File: absolutely barbaric.jpg (160 KB, 600x709) Image search: [Google]
absolutely barbaric.jpg
160 KB, 600x709
>>312181
>germanics
>>
>>314210
Quality > quantity
Get over it, bong
>>
>>312398

>Britain lost [the war of 1812]

good one lad
>>
File: brit9.jpg (362 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
brit9.jpg
362 KB, 720x1280
>>312110
>No you lost.

K/D ratio says otherwise tyrone.
>>
File: PepeDresden.png (1 MB, 1240x869) Image search: [Google]
PepeDresden.png
1 MB, 1240x869
i love it when frogs, seppos and turks/germans get upset about GB.
>>
File: 1421913965006.jpg (90 KB, 482x800) Image search: [Google]
1421913965006.jpg
90 KB, 482x800
>I USED TO RULE THE WORLD YOU KNOW, DAMN KIDS DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MUH WIBBLTY WOBBLETY MUH FALKLANS RULE BRITANNIA RULE THE WAVES

Nobody cares, dad. Now shut up before we put you in a retirement home.
>>
>>311743
>Third Reich
>Glorious

lolnope

go back to >>>/pol/
>>
>>317026
>america, my son, you are of the world power now
>how will you choose to preserve your countries greatness
>subjugation and oppression of inferior minorities to keep the peace
>morale and social decadence to create a false sense of equality
>?????????
>fug
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.