[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /his/torians, Who essay here? Got a 5,000 worder. Got about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: 800px-MenandrosCoin.jpg (213 KB, 800x780) Image search: [Google]
800px-MenandrosCoin.jpg
213 KB, 800x780
Hey /his/torians,

Who essay here?

Got a 5,000 worder. Got about 3k words of unrefined shit. The idea for my essay is good, but it just won't fucking go down on paper right.

I try not to reference as I go, which makes things hard later on. And I always write at the last minute. Got 2 days to go.

I tend to get very good marks though. Always afraid the next essay will be the one that brings me down.
>>
>I try not to reference as I go

... Why?

Anyway I have to write essays pretty often (undergrad in history) but I've tried to break my procrastination habit the last year or two, so I tend to pluck away at stuff at 30 minutes a day and then cram all the rest in for as long as it takes on the second-last day. Then proofread and submit on the due-date.
>>
>>1429735

I find it breaks my flow - I usually start with a pretty good idea of what I am going to write, and go back through my notes and books to find out where I got my points from.

Time consuming, but I've always worked this way.

I'm doing a Masters - at a good university. I always feel like a slacker who has fluked his way into this position.

I haven't got any more organised since my undergrad. I wish I could work in the way you describe, but I just don't seem to be able to.
>>
>>1429818
>but I just don't seem to be able to.

>justdoit.jpg

The reason I do it in 30 minute bursts is because I'm also an unmotivated asshole, but 30 minutes is short enough that I can generally force myself to sit down and do it. Once you have a habit it's not that gruelling. To me this feels way less stressful than burning through my entire day trying to hit a deadline near the due-date, and all the other anxieties that accompany procrastination. I don't know about you, but approaching deadlines tend to eat away at the back of my head until they're out of the way, doing a little bit tends to banish that thought for the day. Besides, if you end up on a roll you don't need to stop at 30 minutes either, I find sometimes once I get on a train of thought I can keep at it for a while.

>I always feel like a slacker who has fluked his way into this position.

There's actually a name for that phenomenon, though I forget what it is. Mostly everyone who isn't a narcissist experiences it sometimes. The reality is most people you think are smart are bullshitting their way through life as well.
>>
>>1429930

Thanks anon. I'll do my best. I only have 2 days left though, so the half an hour thing - I've left it a bit late! All the research is done though. Just got to pull this motherfucker together.
>>
>write at the last minute
>Got 2 days to go

Pick one
>>
File: 1468780518322.png (31 KB, 212x204) Image search: [Google]
1468780518322.png
31 KB, 212x204
>tfw started most of my essays on the deadline day
>all but one of my essays were handed in late
>wrote my thesis in two weeks
>still graduated with a First Class Honours
Live within your memes, anons
>>
>>1429999

Surely you didn't start researching them on the deadline day? Throughout my 4 years of undergrad I probably did the research for my essays in about 1/2 weeks and then wrote them all the day before, usually into the early hours of the hand-up date.

Did all the research for my BA thesis over about 6 months but only wrote the fucking thing in the two days before hand up.

Got a first. Now I'm doing my masters. Why, oh WHY did I think that after all that seat-of-my-pants academic action I'd be able to pull the same shit here?
>>
>>1430270
>Surely you didn't start researching them on the deadline day?
Sometimes a bit of idle googling a few days before but for the most part yeah. It made me feel awful, both physically since I usually had to stay up all night to do them, and academically, because I'd get docked 5% for every day late it made me feel like an underachiever even though I was doing better than average.

>Why, oh WHY did I think that after all that seat-of-my-pants academic action I'd be able to pull the same shit here?
What's a Master's like? I'm taking a year out to work and save up enough money to do one
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.