[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do Anglo-Saxons hate Confucianism?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: Confucius-007.jpg (26 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
Confucius-007.jpg
26 KB, 460x276
Why do Anglo-Saxon peoples hate Confucianism so much?

This Chinese doctrine seems to give a headache to every Anglo-Saxon intellectual.
>>
Inferior brain power.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-07-05_20-20-46.png (941 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-05_20-20-46.png
941 KB, 1680x1050
>>1426272
Disdain for the family, probably.

Possibly the language itself is structured (capitalization of first-person pronoun and other misc. degeneracies) is anethematic to the creation of a virtuous community.
>>
>>1426272
>Be Anglo-Saxon
>Something is Eastern.
>EASTERN DESPOTISM.
>>
>>1426272
He isnt very analytical, Confucius starts from the conclusion that a virtuous life is good, and an idea what it is. the Analects are pretty much a guide on how to be the type of person Confucius thinks you should be.

Admittedly Confucianism is deeper than that but I can see how it would rub many western philosophers the wrong way
>>
>>1426303

I guess I can understand their stance, seeing how familistic societies have engendered a high degree of nepotism, corruption, clientelism and general indifference, insolidarity and mistrust towards the outgroup. Some countries like Irak cannot develop for this simple reason. Although some countries like Taiwan or Finland have succeeded in fostering a high civic consciousness in spite of a tradition of strong kinship ties.

Yet I think it's a little childish to attack repeatedly those foreign traditions you dislike. We must respect the diversity of the world. I see few Chinese attacking the values and traditions that Americans hold dear (and that have admittedly served them better).
>>
>>1426272
Well, Confucianism was very authoritarian, for lack of a better word. It emphasized obedience and respect to your elders, to your father, to your emperor, to your political superiors, etc etc.
It was also very male oriented, meaning women were always subordinate to men. Daughters<sons, mothers<fathers, etc. That's obviously gonna rub Enlightenment era intellectuals the wrong way.

I haven't read the Analects myself, so I only know the basic overview. But generally, the whole obedience thing and the patriarchy thing are problematic for the west.

And as >>1426323 said, Confucius didn't concern himself much with morals. He said "This is the right way to live your life. I have no justification for it, because I don't particularly care about any higher power, but this is how you should live." Since, for a long time, the West was monotheistic and concerned itself a lot with morality, that was frowned upon.
>>
>>1426272
Because it conflicts with pretty much all of the social and philosophical paradigms that underpin western civilization.
>>
>>1426369
>I see few Chinese attacking the values and traditions that Americans hold dear (and that have admittedly served them better).
China used to say some pretty bad things about capitalism.
>>
>>1426377
All that first part can be said about Christiatniy
>>
>>1426272
His doctrine can't explain why chinks got raped by Japs in the first sino-japanese war and Nanjing
>>
>>1426514
where does the bible say to be subservient to political leaders
>>
>>1426612
Romans 13:1-7
>>
i don't hate confucianism

i just don't care about him
>>
>>1426514
they hate that too
>>
File: Goujian 1.jpg (32 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
Goujian 1.jpg
32 KB, 800x533
>>1426377
>Well, Confucianism was very authoritarian, for lack of a better word.
Wrong on the first line. Because Confucianism did not end with Confucius.

Confucianism's relationships do not imply one way street subservience of Emperor/Subject, Father/Son, Wife/Husband, Master/Student. No. Emperors must be emperors, Fathers must be fathers, Husbands husbands, and Masters master.

If the "superior" party fails in holding his end of the deal, then the superior party violates the social order. Coupled with the folk belief of Mandate of Heaven, this is part of the reasons why shittening dynasties were replaced.

Hence Mencius' famous line about the last king of the Shang Dynasty, Zhou of Shang: "I have heard of a villain called Zhou being overthrown, not a ruler called Zhou being murdered."
>>
>>1426377
>Well, Confucianism was very authoritarian, for lack of a better word. It emphasized obedience and respect to your elders, to your father, to your emperor, to your political superiors, etc etc.

You know that Confucius has been recorded saying that 'If a king does not behave to his subjects, then his subjects do not have to behave like he is their king.' right?
>>
>>1426369
>strong family units are bad
Marx pls go
>>
>>1426622
BTFO
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.