[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I found an interesting concept in a work of fiction and I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: revolution.jpg (215 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
revolution.jpg
215 KB, 2000x1000
I found an interesting concept in a work of fiction and I'm wondering whether it has a certain name, and what are some historical instances of it actually happening.

Basically, it goes like this: A government notices a conspiracy or coup is being planned, still in a premature state. Instead of acting, they allow it to carry on while keeping informed and preparing to crush it when it happens. That way, any hidden, powerful dissidents come to light and are crushed with the conspiracy, as opposed to crushing it in an early stage when almost no one is involved.
>>
>>1419839
i would say that COINTELPRO
is one kindof permeation on this, in which the government allows protests/movements to carry on, just plants instigators/provocateurs and informants to steer it the wrong way and tarnish its public image

also we've seen this a lot in RICO cases, in which the government will allow organized crime networks to continue operating while they gather the nessacery evidence to thoroughly destroy hard to reach leadership
>>
>>1419849
Well, I was actually expecting something quite older. Maybe greece/rome.
>>
>>1419839
>Basically, it goes like this: A government notices a conspiracy or coup is being planned, still in a premature state. Instead of acting, they allow it to carry on while keeping informed and preparing to crush it when it happens. That way, any hidden, powerful dissidents come to light and are crushed with the conspiracy, as opposed to crushing it in an early stage when almost no one is involved.

Operation Valkyrie is the closest thing I can think of
>>
They apparently call one version of this 'LIHOP'. Letting It Happen On Purpose.

You may also find that on days of major terrorist attacks, there are also major 'exercises' planned to deal with similar attacks. It's not coincidence, it's intelligence agencies preparing for the attack without wanting to 'startle' the public.
>>
>>1419900
>You may also find that on days of major terrorist attacks, there are also major 'exercises' planned to deal with similar attacks.
can you name a few instances of this happening?
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.