[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>An aspiring amateur musician, Wellesley, devastated by the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7
File: Arthur_Wellesley_1_3228835b.jpg (174 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
Arthur_Wellesley_1_3228835b.jpg
174 KB, 620x387
>An aspiring amateur musician, Wellesley, devastated by the rejection, burnt his violins in anger, and resolved to pursue a military career in earnest.
people in the past were more like us than we want to believe
>>
Pretty much everyone agrees Wellington is just a second-rate, inferior Marlborough, right?
>>
File: 1451964739465.jpg (24 KB, 306x480) Image search: [Google]
1451964739465.jpg
24 KB, 306x480
>>1419582
>An aspiring amateur carpenter, Jesus, devastated by the rejection, burnt his hammer in anger, and resolved to pursue a career in saving the sinfuls from hell in earnest.
>>
>>1419589
Some prime shitposting there m8
I bet you're family is proud
>>
File: images (24).jpg (19 KB, 334x440) Image search: [Google]
images (24).jpg
19 KB, 334x440
>An aspiring amateur painter, Hitler, devastated by the rejection, burned his canvases in anger, and decided to pursue a political career in earnest.
>>
File: THE WHOLE LINE WILL ADVANCE.gif (470 KB, 644x884) Image search: [Google]
THE WHOLE LINE WILL ADVANCE.gif
470 KB, 644x884
> orders for the army in the Peninsula and in the Waterloo campaign stated categorically “Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy.”
>>
>>1419589
>tfw a children's song in your country references Marlborough, saying that he died in the war of 1864

I'll never be able to understand this
>>
>>1419862
what country?
>>
>>1419595
>and resolved to pursue a career in leading a cult
ftfy
>>
>>1419915
Denmark
>>
>>1419917
>>
>>1419767
Fucking umbrellas

http://www.britishbattles.com/waterloo/waterloo-june-1815.htm

>Umbrellas at Waterloo:
Captain Mercer of the British Horse Artillery described the miserable night he and his troop spent on the field of Waterloo before the battle: “My companion (the troop’s second captain) had an umbrella, which by the way afforded some merriment to our people on the march, this we planted against the sloping bank of the hedge, and seating ourselves under it, he on the one side of the stick, me on the other side, we lighted cigars and became-comfortable”.

The Duke, who was indifferent to the way his officers chose to dress, drew the line at umbrellas. “At Bayonne, in December 1814,” writes Captain Gronow of the First Foot Guards, “His Grace, on looking round, saw, to his surprise, a great many umbrellas, with which the officers protected themselves from the rain that was then falling. Arthur Hill came galloping up to us saying, Lord Wellington does not approve of the use of umbrellas during the enemy’s firing, and will not allow the “gentlemen’s sons” to make themselves ridiculous in the eyes of the army.”

Colonel Tynling, a few days afterwards, received a wigging from Lord Wellington for suffering his officers to carry umbrellas in the face of the enemy; His Lordship observing, “The Guards may in uniform, when on duty at St. James’, carry umbrellas if they please, but in the field it is not only ridiculous but unmilitary.”

Standing orders for the army in the Peninsula and in the Waterloo campaign stated categorically “Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy.”

However the surgeon of Captain Mercer’s troop of Horse Artillery was seen to be sheltering under the forbidden item during the early part of the Battle of Waterloo.
>>
>I SUCK AT PLAYING VIOLIN SO NOBODY GETS A FUCKING UMBRELLA!!!1!
>>
>>1419589
naw m8

All the best British soldiers are Irish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Wellesley,_1st_Duke_of_Wellington

>Field Marshal Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington, KG, GCB, GCH, PC, FRS (1 May 1769 – 14 September 1852), was an Anglo-Irish soldier...

>Wellington was born in Dublin, belonging to the Protestant Ascendancy in Ireland. He was commissioned as an ensign in the British Army in 1787, serving in Ireland as aide-de-camp to two successive Lords Lieutenant of Ireland. He was also elected as a Member of Parliament in the Irish House of Commons...
>>
>>1419589
To be fair most people are second rate when compared to Marlborough. He was one of the greats.
>>
>Before he was a revolutionary, Stalin was known as a poet. In 1895, aged 17 and studying for the priesthood in Georgia, a province of the tsarist empire,When printed, they were widely read and much admired. They became minor Georgian classics, to be published in anthologies and memorised by schoolchildren until the 1970s (and not as part of Stalin's cult; they were usually published as "Anonymous").
>>
>>1420046
>Anglo-Irish
>Irish
>>
>>1422316
He kept writing poems too, they're actually pretty good.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.