[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the smoothest Coupe d'état in history?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: 1457092479539.png (11 KB, 408x408) Image search: [Google]
1457092479539.png
11 KB, 408x408
What was the smoothest Coupe d'état in history?
>>
Hitler's beer hall putsch of course.

Hitler did nothing wrong.
>>
I love /his/torians subtle ways of discussing current events.

Brazilian military-Republican coup against the emperor was pretty smooth.
>>
Hitler wins as for me as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichstag_fire
>>
>>1418276
>>1418276
The Glorious Revolution.
>>
I think meiji restoration was pretty good
>>
Has to be Charlemagne.

>know that the Merovingians won't accept an overthrow of the monarchy
>get yourself crowned as > > > so you can become even more powerful than the king without needing to get rid of him
>>
>>1418362
This.
>>
>>1418276
Easter?
>>
18 Brumaire went pretty smoothly.

I don't think any blood spilled at all.
>>
>>1418502
Pepin deposed the last Merovingian king, and they were powerless long before that
>>
Mussolini's march on Rome was pretty smooth desu
>>
File: park_chung_hee_b&w.jpg (77 KB, 750x992) Image search: [Google]
park_chung_hee_b&w.jpg
77 KB, 750x992
>>1418276
Park Chung-hee's military takeover of South Korean government.

What an absolute madman.
>>
>>1418276
Easter?
>>
>>1418276
>>1418362
I would say Glorious revolution too, although Dutch troops were stationed in the capital for a full year before William allowed English soldiers back in again.

Oh and he had to beat Catholics.
>>
>>1418276
18 Brumaire and 2 Décembre were pretty well managed by coup standards. The Glorious Revolution, while bloodless, did spark a civil war, so it can't be considered bloodless.
>>
File: WilliamWalker[1].jpg (109 KB, 463x580) Image search: [Google]
WilliamWalker[1].jpg
109 KB, 463x580
>William Walker (May 8, 1824 – September 12, 1860) was an American physician, lawyer, journalist and mercenary, who organized several private military expeditions into Latin America, with the intention of establishing English-speaking colonies under his personal control, an enterprise then known as "filibustering." Walker usurped the presidency of the Republic of Nicaragua in 1856 and ruled until 1857, when he was defeated by a coalition of Central American armies. He was executed by the government of Honduras in 1860.

>Walker took up residence in Granada and set himself up as President of Nicaragua, after conducting a fraudulent election. He was inaugurated on July 12, 1856, and soon launched an Americanization program, reinstating slavery, declaring English an official language and reorganizing currency and fiscal policy to encourage immigration from the United States.
>>
>>1419786
If by 2 décembre you mean Louis-Napoleon's coup, it wasn't that smooth. Things went quite decently in Paris, but there was plenty of démoc-soc resistence in the rest of the country, and afterwards N3 had to do a pretty ruthless bout of purging/repressing. It did the job without causing a civil war, but it certainly wasn't as cleans as L-N had wanted it to be.
>>
The coup of May 15, 1934 in Latvia
As far as I know, there was only one bullet fired during the coup
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.