[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it more intelectually acceptable to be into paganism than
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 9
File: 2.jpg (234 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
234 KB, 2000x1000
Is it more intelectually acceptable to be into paganism than being into christianism?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCyod8ziZpo
>>
You Paganfags are worst than Christfags
>>
>>1417462
THIS

fuck religoin..
>>
>>1417453
Who cares.

If you are a Christian, love your neighbor.

If you are Pagan love your neighbor.
>>
File: 9200000001652996.jpg (58 KB, 546x840) Image search: [Google]
9200000001652996.jpg
58 KB, 546x840
Yes, philosophically, polytheism makes much more sense than monotheism does. To be a polytheist is to accept the whole of reality in all of its plurality, not just one aspect of it, like monotheism does.

A more recent view on this is pic related
>>
test
>>
I don't know about intellectually but culturally it is. Christianity is not European in origin, it is Middle-Eastern.
>>
>>1419731
yes, because it's not like the last 1700 years shaped europe culturally in any way.
>>
>>1419763
Do you realise that christianism imposed different names to already existing pagan festivities?
>>
>>1420697
This is a bit more noticeable in the English folklore.

>Sunday = "Day of the Sun"
>Monday = "Day of the Moon"
>>
>people talking about paganism as any sort of homogenus belief
Paganism is an umbrella term holding hundreds if not thousands of different beliefs in it.
Pls specify yourself more
>>
They're both intellectually unacceptable but at least pagans don't worship a hook nosed, goblin faced kike.
>>
>>1420717
Would be able to in detail if the Christcucks hadn't intentionally destroyed everything relating to it that they could find.

Reminder that Julian refuted Christianity so successfully that they went out of their way to make sure Against the Gallileans would never be seen again.
>>
>>1420697
Do you realise virtually every pore of european culture has been influenced by christianity and that through being one of the major political, civic, cultural and well, religious parts of european life, it is very much a european religion.

Or are you gonna say that republicanism shouldn't be a thing in america, because it was imported from europe or somesuch nonesense?
>>
>>1421347
Europe distilled its own version of christianism. Changed a lot from the barbaric middle eastern rituals.
>>
>>1417453

Pagans are retards adhering to a primitive form of religion.

Great intellectual fruits have fallen from all the Abrahamic religions and the far eastern ones.
>>
>>1421902
>intellectual fruits
Dude the entire Christian theology as well as Islamic golden age bullshit "philosophy" is Pagan. That's preposterous.

I'll give you the far eastern ones.
>>
>>1421902
>Great intellectual fruits have fallen from all the Abrahamic religions and the far eastern ones.

Let me fix it for you:
Great intellectual fruits have fallen despite of all the Abrahamic religions and the far eastern ones.
>>
>>1417453
>Christianism
It's "Christianity" you fucking heretic.
>>
>>1422060
Non-christians can't be heretics dingus, they're heathens.
>>
>>1420697
Do you realize modern "paganism" is just subversive ersatz Christianity?
>>
>>1422065
Judaism is a just a subversive ersatz canaanite polytheism
Christianity is a just a subversive ersatz Judaism + Zoroastrianism + Greek mystery religions
>>
File: image.png (90 KB, 310x558) Image search: [Google]
image.png
90 KB, 310x558
>>1422100
>Judaism is a just a subversive ersatz canaanite polytheism
>Christianity is a just a subversive ersatz Judaism + Zoroastrianism + Greek mystery religions
>I Heart Bill Maher and think Zeitgeist was the best film ever!
>>
>>1422111
>Zeitgeist

Uhu, it's pretty much established in academia that the Yahweh cult was an offshoot of Canaanite polytheism, and that Christianity and Judaism were influenced by Zoroastrianism (except among Christian apologist """scholars""").

Nice strawman thought.
>>
>>1422130
>academia
>reliable
>>
>>1419731
>Christianity is not European in origin
Indo-Europeans aren't European in origin, either.
>>
>>1422130
>influenced by Zoroastrianism
You sure it wasn't the other way around?
>>
File: the destruction of irminsul.jpg (508 KB, 635x979) Image search: [Google]
the destruction of irminsul.jpg
508 KB, 635x979
>>1417453
No.
When you worship a fucking dead tree in a forest clearing you forfeit any rights to being called an intellectual religion.
>>
>>1422142
I was gonna give you shit, but then I remember that academia really isn't realiable so yeah.
>>
>>1422196
When you worship a fucking dead tree in a d*** k*** on a s**** you forfeit any rights to being called an intellectual religion.
>>
>>1422290
Did you... censor the word stick?
>>
>intellectually
Not really. Paganism isn't a particularly intellectual group of religions. And most pagans today readily admit that. The smart ones tend to apply their minds to other tasks, and are happy to let their faith be nothing more than a sense of comfort and purpose.

Christianity, on the other hand, has always tried to make sense of the universe, and has therefore always tended to have a strong interest in philosophy alongside its more mystical elements.

>>1417535
>philosophically, polytheism makes much more sense than monotheism does
It actually doesn't. Monotheism pretty much necessitates an order to the universe than polytheism never did. Monotheism was ever bound to philosophy, and Deism much more. You might have been more correct if you had said "pantheism," but you fucked up and said "polytheism."
>>
File: laughing-bishops.jpg (31 KB, 380x274) Image search: [Google]
laughing-bishops.jpg
31 KB, 380x274
>>1420722
>he thinks Jesus was Ashkenazi
>>
>>1422358
And what do you think Jesus was?
>>
>>1422412
A completley different kind of Jew. Mizrahi perhaps?
>>
>>1422426
>A completley different kind of Jew
So, a hook-nosed goblin-faced kike. Cool.
>>
>>1422435
>hook-nosed goblin-faced

Tourin.
>>
>>1422412
A Jew from the 1st century Levant, not some Yid from Central or Eastern Europe a thousand years later.
>>
>>1422447
>Tourin is a type of French garlic soup, also known as le tourin d'ail doux, or smooth garlic soup. Many regions have their own variations on the recipe. Typically, many recipes include as many as 20 cloves of garlic for a much stronger flavor. ...
You are trying to say to me, that you like Tourin? Tourin good? Very very good?
>>
>>1421890
What the actual fuck are you on about?
>>
>>1422456
Turin. I meant Turin.
>>
>>1422481
>Turin
>Capital city of the Piemonte region of northwestern Italy

Dude is it too much for you to write a sentence with beginning, middle and end?
>>
>>1422497
Shroud of Turin.
>>
>>1417520
>his katana is the sharpest.
>>
File: shroud.jpg (1 MB, 2370x2321) Image search: [Google]
shroud.jpg
1 MB, 2370x2321
>>1422501
>>
>>1423041
>>1422481
You mean the forgery?

To be quite honest, I really preferred the "Christian Identity" thing. At least that was more fun to read.
>>
File: tumblr_nmhpghhZQK1rg3vrmo1_500.jpg (75 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nmhpghhZQK1rg3vrmo1_500.jpg
75 KB, 500x375
>>1423017
>fighting both christians and pagans, he is friends with neither
>he relies on nothing but reason and his trusty king size katana
>alone, he shuns the company of the fair sex
>postponing indefinitely the loss of his purity, he sets himself higher goals
>it's a tough job, but he can take it, because he is a freethinker
>>
this is just a stupid post op
>>
>>1423054
>You mean the forgery?

That meme's been debunked countless times asshole.
>>
>>1422196
At least trees are real. :)
>>
>>1423381

Oh look, Aelian the Aeutist is back

What happened to you trip autistboy? Also, what happened to your standard posts, did they not convince anyone anymore?
>>
>>1423064
Underrated post
>>
>>1423381
>That meme's been debunked countless times asshole.

Let's pretend that somehow it was true that the shroud was from Jesus' time period.

Since no one has any real idea what the fuck he looked like the chances of it actually being Jesus' shroud are minimal.
>>
>>1424279
Literally who?

>>1424683
Oh yeah because briar helmets, flaying and crucifixion involving nails jammed through the wrists were oh SOOOOO common
>>
>>1424711

The gospels say the marks were in his hands. It's the general belief these days that it would probably have been through the wrists because otherwise the hands couldn't take the weight.

So yeah, the completely common, normal way of crucifying someone. Something that happened to thousands and thousands of people.
>>
>>1422341

Polytheism with a hierarchy in which there is one supreme being makes the most sense if the gods rule over mankind.

Hierachy doesn't make any sense in the event that the gods just kind of exist and don't particularly care about us.
>>
>>1424711

It was literally the death penalty minus the crown of thorns which is used to mock his claim of being a king and is a symbol of what a sham he was to the people.
>>
>>1424711
>Oh yeah because briar helmets, flaying and crucifixion involving nails jammed through the wrists were oh SOOOOO common

Actually it was
>>
>>1424820
>no sources
>>
>>1424911

The bible itself you false believer.
>>
>>1424947
Only Jesus is refered to as having gotten the treatment. Thus it wasn't dime a dozen.
>>
>>1425893

And you know, the other people it mentions getting it.
>>
>>1425931
No it doesn't. Just that they were crucified. No lashing, no nails, no crowns.
>>
In the context of "Paganism", which I will take to mean "traditional European religions specifically of Indo-European heritage", they weren't actually particularly intellectual in the sense that we'd think of the term.

TER thinkers most definitely explored theology, but forms of inquiry that weren't spiritual in nature (like morality, ethics, natural philosophy, etc) weren't given much religious thought. Those intellectual arenas were left to secular intellectuals, of which there were a plethora. In contrast, Christianity could be considered a more "intellectual" religion from that perspective, since their theology encroaches upon traditionally secular avenues of thought.

This isn't necessarily a good thing, though. Religion can produce quality *theology*, but it tends to be a bit ... lacking when attempting to apply it outside of that realm. This is where TER as was practiced prior to Christianization, in my opinion, was of more intellectual value; because it was concerned solely with religious thought and didn't assert itself over other intellectual pursuits, unlike Christianity.
>>
>>1417453
Is it more intelectually acceptable to be into paganism than being into christianism?
Depends on you family.

In my opinion, neo-pagans are fools who are seeking aesthetics and tradition they never had;
trying to fill the void and calm their mind with one form of novelty, even if they don't really believe in it, or make up modern explanations to play the apologist. It's just as retarded as converting to any religion or adopting a certain culture because of what you lack and think will gain, and general mind numbing and identity nonsense.
>>
>>1426465

>tfw Pagan but can't stand other pagans because they ignore the importance of education that the tradition used to deem important and instead just focus on old stories and holidays.

Proper Paganism requires a constant effort of researching science and philosophy at the higher levels an order, but it seems that only a few druid orders actually stick with this and even then it's mostly awkward DnD players (not that I dislike the game, but you get my point)
>>
>>1426934
The problem is the lack of legitimacy, you weren't born into it, the conditioning necessary for you to truly to call it your own aren't there unless you are some delusional larper. If you are doing research why would you stick with this one aesthetic, and yes that's all it is, be honest. You don't have to become anything, and if you weren't born into it, you basically can't. Maybe Paganism has some good ideas you can steal. But you don't have to embrace the autism. You are just limiting yourself this way.
>>
File: pagan hillbillies.png (21 KB, 592x193) Image search: [Google]
pagan hillbillies.png
21 KB, 592x193
I don't see how paganism can be an intellectual or scientific pursuit.
>>
>>1417453
No, because paganism lacked the technologies that Christianity offered in terms of alleviating immediate and existential crises. Plus, Christianity was even more intellectually through its extensive theology, which drew from contemporary Hellenic philosophic movements and its Judaic foundations.
>>
>>1426989
intellectually *appealing
>>
>>1419731
What did Pagans ever do?

They were literally barbarians.
>>
>>1426953

I think the problem comes from Wicca and different things like hellenism, heathenry and such. For me, I have a lot if Irish ancestry so celtic paganism is close to me, but when I say I'm pagan I sinply mean that I don't follow Christianity and have a polytheistic viewpoint. Not necessarily that I worship old gods that my ancesters believed in.
>>
>>1427003

Writing, art, and mathematics.
>>
The abhrahamic faiths are only intellectual in that they've written thousands of pages on why they're right and trying to justify their faith in the world. See Christians trying to justify all the contradictions in the gospel accounts and the implications of their faith
>>
>>1427025
So what gods do you worship and how? What are your scriptures and orthodoxy?

Also see >>1426970
>>
>>1427025
I assume you're an American. And your recent ancestors were Christians, does this mean you should be to? No. Your ancestry means nothing in this situation. Although, i am interested what exactly you mean by polytheism, do you believe in these gods and why?
>>
>>1427078
He probably doesn't. Most neopagans would be terrified by legitimate pagan ritual like in India, China or Africa. Even whatever the Nookta believe would strike them as unpleasant.
>>
>>1427078

The ancestry is basically just a matter of where I typically go to for guidance. I'll read the old stories of Ireland, but that's probably just because I'm also curious about my ancestors. I've done the same for my native american ancestors since my great grandmother was from a reserve, but most of their general beliefs were simply to respect nature and the ancestors.

So essentially >>1427096 is right.

The Celts of Ireland have the benefit of claiming that the gods didn't create the world, but merely existed in it and continually bred with humans until the people no longer believed in them and si they fucked off. I think that every pantheon was likely real to some extent, but understand that many gods were made up to explain the weather, so not all of them were real. I believe more in the psychological gods like the gods of war, strife, and fertility. Ares and The Morrigu had real counterparts, for example. But there was no Mannanan Mac Lir or Poseidon. At least not in the sense that they controlled the sea to such great extent.
>>
>>1428664
>Poseidon
>>1428664
>At least not in the sense that they controlled the sea to such great extent.

This is actually a pretty romantic idea.
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 600x576) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 600x576
>>1422149
Christianity isn't Indo-European, both it and Judaism were started by Semitic peoples. Christianity is just a semitic copy of the original monotheistic faith Zoroastrianism that was started by descendants of the proto Indo-Euopeans.

>>1422150
Judaism, Christianity and Islam are just successive fan-fictions on Zoroastrianism that got more distorted and further from the source with each iteration. Zoroastrianism vastly predates all three of them. The religious beliefs of the Jews were originally no different then any other middle eastern bronze-age tribal cult and it was only after they had been exposed to Zoroastrianism that they started to incorporate the concepts of good vs. evil and the special one true god etc.
>>
>>1430690
Jews were the first exclusively monotheistic bunch, and as a religion, Zoroastrianism was sort of monotheistic, cause really it did involve worshipinggods or at least acknowledging other gods, that are under the big spirit
>>
>>1417453
No.

>>1417535
The philosophical and theological premise that each aspect of created reality is, in itself, indicative of another all powerful deity, is superstition.

>>1430713
Zoroastrianism was dualistic, but in its day, it had many sects. 'True' monotheism was, and is not, unheard of among Zoroastrians.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.