[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is progress a myth? Many people believe in it and would sacrifice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: aXm8288xjU.jpg (141 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
aXm8288xjU.jpg
141 KB, 650x650
Is progress a myth? Many people believe in it and would sacrifice anything for the name of progress.
>>
In the sense that progress is an intangible ideal like God? I guess so. You have to prove that it's not an ideal that's sacrificing for, though.

No one believe in just 'progress' as an idea. They believe in ideas of progression towards the betterment of society in their view. They don't fetishize the concept of progress itself, but their own opinion on what progress means.
>>
>>1415605
Progress doesn't exist. It's purely cyclical.
>>
>>1415605
Google Archdruidreport myth of progress
>>
>>1415605
depends what you mean by myth
>Many people
Who?

Most people are lazy or hedonistic. They might think progress is neat, but they would never have much motivation to actually contribute to it.
>>
Technological progress is true.

Human progress is very rarely true, because anything we do to our societies or otherwise, can be undone with 1 nuclear weapon.
>>
>>1415605
Progress is just the dialectical anti-meme of degeneracy
>>
>>1415636
That would be incredibly strange if truly nothing ever progressed or regressed AT ALL in the long term
So strange that one might accuse another of talking out his ass for suggesting such a thing
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.