[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Glamour" of the times
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2
I was listening to taylor swift's wildest dream song and watched the video and noticed it was a story about a movie being shot in olden times, the 60s at most.

I know that the 50s are always idealised but are the 50 years prior to the present always idealised as an innocent and more glamorous time? Or is this a factor that only appears in the technological age?

My guess is that increasing levels of technology lead to more abstract jobs that just don't stimulate the feelings of people. Also more and more interaction is through screens (harder to idetify with even if news travels at lightning speed) and there's less centralisation of everything (so you have 50 news sources instead of 5, you have much less entertainment options). I think the latter centralisation aspect is also a key aspect. I'm not totally sure what that psychology research about option paralysis shows (whether it exists or not) but I think, as we see from forced high school and pretty much forced college, people feel happier when there's artificially created social interactions. Also movie stars were the shit because they didn't have youtubers, twitch streamers, netflix, tv, radio, and other stuff to crowd them out.
>>
>>1414532
>but are the 50 years prior to the present always idealised as an innocent and more glamorous time?
I don't think anyone in my country idealised that time, ages are idealised because the people in said place were economically doing well in a way or another.
>>
File: 121015-marissa-berenson_0.jpg (119 KB, 684x1006) Image search: [Google]
121015-marissa-berenson_0.jpg
119 KB, 684x1006
>>1414532
Hoover has the press and actors collared
>>
>>1414545
This is fairly accurate, the 50s in the US were a time when a large majority of the country was doing fairly well economically, and even disadvantaged people (black people and others) were making some social and economic gains. Obviously not everybody shared equally in the success, but things were generally optimistic, and even though it couldn't last, a lot of people thought it would and things would just progress for everybody. Hence why people probably describe it as a more innocent time.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.