[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What spoken language is the most harsh, guttural, and generally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 10
File: UgyrZvj.png (3 MB, 1572x1816) Image search: [Google]
UgyrZvj.png
3 MB, 1572x1816
What spoken language is the most harsh, guttural, and generally just intimidating? Not even strictly currently-spoken languages, I'm also willing to accept dead languages too.

Old Norse? Hittite? Phoenician?
>>
Norse is very sing-songy so definitely not that, it's actually fairly pretty.

Maybe some old slavic I think is most appropriate.
>>
>>1414321
>>1414313
Possibly also sumerian, it's this strange mix og semitic and an ugric language almost.
>>
>>1414324

https://youtu.be/50By01L7uzY

Sumerian isn't that bad, I'm voting for Phoenician here. Sounds like spitting nails.
>>
>>1414313
>harsh
>guttural
>not being completely meaningless terms used by people who don't know shit about linguistics
Wew lad
>>
File: 1411752304103.jpg (30 KB, 380x377) Image search: [Google]
1411752304103.jpg
30 KB, 380x377
>>1414341

>le cultural relativism meme
>>
>>1414313
Niggers.
>>
>>1414326
Fucking lol, that old norse speaker is clearly a dane or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPIzmwzun4Q
>>
>>1414345
> cultural relativism meme
What the hell are you even talking about? Cultural relativism as nothing to do with this. Don't just use words you don't understand because they make you feel smart.
>>
>>1414353

>dude its all just perspective lmao

Ye, nah, take your ideology elsewhere.
>>
>>1414355
???
Are you on drugs?
>>
File: IPA_chart_650_957.jpg (244 KB, 650x957) Image search: [Google]
IPA_chart_650_957.jpg
244 KB, 650x957
Which ones of these sounds are
>harsh
>guttural
>intimidating
?
>>
>>1414380

>he thinks Klingon is aesthetically and phonetically identical to French or Latin to the human ear
>he's still trying to pretend with all his strength he's totally not a cultural relativist
>>
Some dirty sand people language like hebrew or Arabic
>>
I think Old Frisian is rather neat, not harsh or guttural though.

http://www.vogala.org/tekst/oudfries-karel-en-redbad
>>
>>1414385
Answer the question.
>>
>>1414391

No. I don't negotiate with Marxists.
>>
>>1414313
English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26O9XYTSj4g
>>
>>1414391
You can't even read your own posted garbage
>>
>>1414393
>No. I don't negotiate with Marxists.
Sorry, I think you meant
>No. I'm an ignorant /pol/ack who doesn't know shit, but still feel like my superior intellect justifies my opinions.

Answer the goddamn question.
>>
>>1414395
God bless Australia
>>
File: Stirner.gif (10 KB, 279x305) Image search: [Google]
Stirner.gif
10 KB, 279x305
>>1414400

Shouldn't you be somewhere else by now, posting about "spooks" or some such?
>>
>>1414400
No, I'm not a philosophyfag.

Again, which sounds are guttural, harsh and intimidating? Those used in the languages spoken by people you don't like? If not, use the IPA chart to show me which ones, in particular, are harsh, guttural and intimidating.
>>
>>1414355
Literally thinking that a language is objectively harsh is ideology
>>
>>1414429

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auqS6FR_RDE

I'm just going to post this and watch in amusement as you try to demonstrate how a language that was actually, literally designed with the sole intention of being harsh and guttural is in not "really" harsh and guttural.
>>
>>1414446
>guy is yelling instead of speaking the language at a normal volume
Here's the biggest problem.

>H /x/ and Q /χ/ are used in languages as diverse as Scots, Dutch, German, Arabic, Chinese, many Turkic languages, Mongolian, Russian, French, Spanish, Hebrew and so on.
Here's the second one.

Try again.
>>
>>1414313

I have never heard a more ugly sound than Arabic. Probably a bit of bias in this but it sounds awful.
>>
File: 1468167492232.png (34 KB, 493x276) Image search: [Google]
1468167492232.png
34 KB, 493x276
>>1414467

>He actually did it the absolute madman
>>
>>1414475
Of course I did. You never let a retard have the last word or he'll think he's won and is right.
>>
File: 1396566905646.gif (2 MB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
1396566905646.gif
2 MB, 320x200
>>1414480

>He actually, literally, is asking how Klingon is "guttural"

10/10 bait, alright you got me m8
>>
>>1414488
>He actually, literally, is asking how Klingon is "guttural"
Please enlighten me on this. How is it guttural? What IS guttural? Please tell me, oh Anon!
>>
>>1414492
0.47 seconds on google

gut·tur·al

/ˈɡədərəl/

adjective

adjective: guttural

(of a speech sound) produced in the throat; harsh-sounding.

synonyms: throaty, husky, gruff, gravelly, growly, growling, croaky, croaking, harsh, rough, rasping, raspy; More
deep, low, thick

"the man who called had a guttural voice"
•(of a manner of speech) characterized by the use of guttural sounds.
"his parents' guttural central European accent"
noun

noun: guttural; plural noun: gutturals

a guttural consonant (e.g., k, g ) or other speech sound.
>>
>>1414499
>produced in the throat
So h is guttural? Vowels are guttural?

>a guttural consonant (e.g., k, g )
k and g are pretty fucking common in English. Is English a guttural language? They're also amongst the most common consonants in EVERY language on earth. Is every language guttural? If they all are, none is.

And, by the way, k and g aren't produced in the throat. They're made in the middle of the mouth, so that definition is wrong in at least one point and was most certainly not written by someone well versed in linguistics.
>>
>>1414522
Then why is K such a high scoring letter in Scrabble? Checkmate atheists.
>>
>>1414719
letter k =! sound k
>>
>>1414766
which means there are more spellable words that use the letter k but don't use the k sound which actually shows that the sound is even more rare than the letter itself

>inb4 c sounds count as k sounds
>>
>>1414789
K is a letter for barbarians, same for w
>>
>>1414789
>which means there are more spellable words that use the letter k but don't use the k sound
There are far fewer English words with a mute k than without one.

>inb4 c sounds count as k sounds
English doesn't have /c/, but if you mean the sound the letter <c> makes in words like ''Canada'', than yes, it counts as a /k/ sound, because it literally is. Same thing with <qu> in words like ''question''.
>>
>>1414321
>Slavic
>guttural

Get the fuck out
>>
really?

no one is going to bring up Caucasian languages which are mostly clusterfuck of consonants?
>>
polish sounds like someone hitting a trashcan and german ain't great either
>>
>>1414480
Klingon was literally created with guturalness and harshness in mind
>>
Inuktitut, all other languages are simply not as guttural.

ma'na (thank you) [manna]
hikun'ngiqtuq (closes eyes) [sikunngiqtuq]
man'nguktuq (snow melts) [mannguktuq]
ani'naaq (small brother) [aninnaaq]
qi'miq (dog) [qimmiq]
i'vit (you) [ivvit]
man'ngu'tuaqan'ngi'niq (It is dont have big snow melting)
>>
>>1414313
Apparently Etruscan language was a fucking tongue-breaker, no wonder everyone forgot it by 1st century AD. Even today it remains mostly undecipherable, no one even knows for sure to which language family it belongs.
>>
>>1414326
>>1414313
>>1414388

>Phoenician
>not Hebrew
Phoenician is pretty much Hebrew

just look up some Israeli vids on youtube

but german, chinese, arab, and new world spanish
are also in the league
>>
Video game nazi german
>>
File: 1440785160657.jpg (46 KB, 461x344) Image search: [Google]
1440785160657.jpg
46 KB, 461x344
Thai is a pretty ugly sounding language, it's heavily tonal. Some have likened it to sounding like a goblin language.
>>
>>1414326
It depends a lot on the guy reading it. The egyptian, the latin, the mayan and the akkadian make it very powerful sounding while others do not so. The aramaic reader, for example, is way less convincing than the akkadian one even when you can clearly grasp both languages sounded similar to some degree.

Also what the fuck ancient chinese. It doesn't sound harsh or gutural at all but it's fucking alien and inhuman, even compared to modern chinese. God knows what weird languages that sounded completely alien (from the point of view of an indo-european speaker) have been lost.
>>
>>1414468
Nah, I have no bias and it sounds pretty bad specially for day to day stuff. Too much ghallaghgashgha.

Some dialects sound better than others.
>>
File: doblaje sudaca.gif (361 KB, 415x395) Image search: [Google]
doblaje sudaca.gif
361 KB, 415x395
>>1416308
Saying new world spanish is a meme, there's a lot of dialectal variety and some sound acceptable or even cute on women while others are awful.

t. Spaniard
>>
>>1415007
So it's been created with two nebulous and vague as fuck concepts in mind? Again, which sounds are harsh and which ones are guttural. Use the IPA please.

>>1415050
Which features of Inuktitut's phonology make it guttural? What do you mean by guttural, anyway? I see. No sounds produced in the throat and apart from /q/ only sounds also found in English.

>>1416349
Now tones are guttural and harsh? That's a new one.

>>1416367
>Too much ghallaghgashgha.
What does he mean by this?
>>
Velar and uvular fricatives sometimes sound really ugly, but sometimes sound totally OK.
Not particularly ugly: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/47/Voiced_velar_fricative.ogg

Yet listen to the "g" sounds here, which in Dutch is a voiced velar fricative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgiDZvYZyMQ
Absolutely hideous (for the most part), despite the speakers speaking in a normal, casual tone, not angry or anything.

What happens phonetically speaking that makes velar and uvular fricatives sometimes sound so ugly?
>>
>>1414997
They're pretty unknown.
>>
>>1414321
>Norse is very sing-songy so definitely not that, it's actually fairly pretty.
That intonation came after Old Norse diverged into other Scandinavian languages.
>>
>>1416390
Too much sounds similar to that, it's a parodic impression of an alien ear. I can do that for languages that I like too, by the way.

Why are you angry/serious anon? Why can't we have some fun sharing our impressions on different languages? This is clearly a light hearthed thread, no need to be defensive.
>>
>>1414348
He's using modern Icelandic pronunciation.
>>
File: hiding anguish.jpg (167 KB, 700x592) Image search: [Google]
hiding anguish.jpg
167 KB, 700x592
>>1414326
>Old Chinese
>>
>>1416391
The voiced velar fricative isn't that far from most of the realizations of the French <r> and I don't see anyone calling the French language harsh and guttural. In fact it's often called the la guage of love and said to sound really nice.

Nothing in and out of itself makes it uglier than any other sound except the fact that it's common in the languages of people which are opposed to the West and America in particular i.e: Russian, Arab, Hebrew (if you're /pol/), Chinese to some extent.
>>
>>1416349
Can you provide an example? I've never heard Thai. In general tonal languages trouble me, but I wouldn't say they're necessarily harsh.
>>
>>1416402
Because linguistics is one of the most misunderstood field of science ever and I regularly hear laymens spouting bullshit like "Sanskrit was the first language", "English is the easiest language", "Quebec French is bastardized French", "X language is guttural and spoken by animals", "Blacks should learn to speak real English". It's like if everywhere you went, people were denying evolution or some shit.
>>
>>1416411
My mother language uses kh, I consider kh harsh (not gutural) and I consider my language to be harsher than other romance languages because it pronounces J like kh instead of the english J. In fact, in this specific example I believe this harshness makes it more pleasing to hear. Harsh and gutural are not necessarily bad terms, you're just on the defensive for some mysterious reason.

Sorry for not using phonetic symbols, I hope you understand what I meant. The language is spanish, of course.
>>
>>1414326
Ancient Egyptian is awesome

Proto indo european really does sound like the father of European languages

Phoenician sounds like a jew choking
>>
>>1416424
No, it's like if everywhere you went people were refusing to buy products that have H2O or claiming to only eat organic food. It's something that just happens.

It would be nice to have a didactic linguistics thread, of course. In fact I encourage you to start one yourself, not necessarily now but when you feel like it. Something like "I'm a linguist that speaks [insert here several languages], ask me anything". But t.b.h. friend if you're so easily triggered by ignorance I don't know what you're doing on 4chan or at least why you're not more selective about threads.
>>
>>1414348
>>1416403
He's talking Icelandic and it's a sketch about words that have changed their meaning from Old Norse to Icelandic.
>>
>>1416412
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCBCs7ZOoSY
>>
>>1414321
Norwegian sounds so retarded, it's not pretty at all. t. dane.
to be fair my language isn't very pretty either.
>>
>>1416447
At least we enunciate vowels, you just swallow them.
>>
File: dunno.png (20 KB, 560x407) Image search: [Google]
dunno.png
20 KB, 560x407
>>1416444
Sounds like bizarro chinese to me, and I know it should not since they're not even related. Can someone confirm if the southern chinese (or some of them) have a "thai accent" or something? This guy sounds like my neighbour.
>>
Arabic is probably the most hoarse and guttural sounding language I know of.

In fact, most of the Afro-Asiatic languages have some seriously guttural phonology for some reason.
>>
>>1416473
Nah. Thai is more "Nasal" than Southern Chinese languages like Cantonese.

Though there are related languages to Thai among the SOuthern Chinese tribes. Miao comes into mind.
>>
>>1416473
Thai and Chinese don't really aound that similar, to be honest. It has more to do with the fact that you're unfamiliar with it than anything. Same as when randoms tell me Chinese, Korean and Japanese sound exactly the same.

>>1416442
I'm hear because I like chan culture and am on /his/ because I thought it would be a great board to talk about something other than memes. Imagine my reaction when I realised it was filled with uneducated /pol/acks shitting up every thread. I'd have no problem shitposting about what the ugliest language ever is on /int/, just not on /his/, god damn it.

>>1416425
kh can't be that harsh if J.R.R Tolkien used it in one of its elvish languages, but I get what you mean. I guess seeing misinformation just makes my anus ache.
>>
>>1416390
>English
>/q/
>>
>>1416511
What's your point?
English doesn't have /q/. It has the letter <q>, but not the uvular plosive /q/
>>
>>1416518
Nevermind, I thought you were saying English also had /q/.
>>
>>1416509
I can understand your frustration since it's partly shared. Or maybe it should be said that it was partly shared. /pol/ and /int/ where from the start two of the most significant board to campaign in favor of an /his/ board, which made me suspicious. Ironically since I never expected better I came to appreciate this place for what it is. I think it's still better than /int/ or /pol/, more often than not.

>kh can't be that harsh if J.R.R Tolkien used it in one of its elvish languages

Well, it's harsher than english j. I don't know elvish but some languages have both sounds. Also Tolkien elves were more beautiful than mankind, not necessarily more fragile or delicate.
>>
>>1416509
>Thai and Chinese don't really aound that similar, to be honest. It has more to do with the fact that you're unfamiliar with it than anything. Same as when randoms tell me Chinese, Korean and Japanese sound exactly the same.

Probably true, although normally I am able to distinguish chinese and japanese. But in the case of thailandes is not only being unfamiliar but the first time hearing a tai-kadai language in my life.

>>1416505
I knew there's related peoples in south china and that historically they were probably more spread in the past, that's why I asked. I wasn't talking about cantonese specifically. Apparently my neighbour is from Zheijang and apparently that's not considered southern at all although for a stranger it could be branded as such looking at the map. Like the other anon said, it's all just the natural reaction of the brain to associate something new with something already familiar, and failing because you the new language isn't really related with any familiar one.
>>
>>1414313
Vietnamese is fucking scary, it sounds really alien-like

Source: vietnamese gf
>>
>>1416586
The people who now speak the southern Chinese languages once spoke some ancients forma of thai, so it's not too far-fetched to imagine those ancestral languages having had some kind of influence on them. Maybe that's where some of the similarities come from.
>>
>>1416597
>tfw no asian lmao gf
>>
>>1416602
Seriously the first time I heard her conversating with her family I couldnt even make up whether they were angry, happy or sad. The sounds and general tonal direction is just really harsh and goes in every possible direction
>>
>>1416373
which ones are awful?

i heard puerto ricans cant tolerate mexican spanish, and vice versa
>>
>>1416411
I have heard French called ugly and guttural and I have also done so myself. Although typically the pronunciation of the r is not as harsh as the pronunciation of the g in the Dutch youtube video, from my experience. As I said, velar/uvular fricatives do not always sound harsh, but when they do they sound like the speaker is coughing blood or something. It's no wonder that many find them ugly.
>>
>>1416390
>Again, which sounds are harsh and which ones are guttural
Christ.
Which foods are sweet and which are sour? Use Molecular gastronomy please
>>
>>1416660
Sweet things contain sugars (glucose, fructose), sour things contain acidic compounds. Easy.
>>
>>1416629
Let's be honest, it all depends on perspective. Everyone is gonna like it's own and dislike the others for pretty randome reasons or even irrationally.

That said I can't stand chilean and a lot of people would agree with me. I like cuban a lot for no specific reason, although I can't take anyone who speaks it seriously. Same with mexican (from the city, I don't know about the rest). And in general latin american spanish gets a lot better when women speak it because it's often softer than peninsular one. I can't stand argentinian talked by man yet it's kind of cute in women. Although I suppose that it's also normal for a man to like a language (or dialect) better when spoken by women.
>>
>>1416390
>Again, which sounds are harsh and which ones are guttural.

harsh
hɑːʃ/
adjective
adjective: harsh; comparative adjective: harsher; superlative adjective: harshest

1.unpleasantly rough or jarring to the senses.

>Guttural: speech sounds are those with a primary place of articulation near the back of the oral cavity. In some definitions, this is restricted to pharyngeal consonants, but in others includes some velar and uvular consonants.

Use your common sense moron.
>>
>>1416649
French sounds like an effeminate language for faggots.
t. slav forced to learn French in school
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.