[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What were knights like in the middle ages? How would they go
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: knight.png (611 KB, 867x867) Image search: [Google]
knight.png
611 KB, 867x867
What were knights like in the middle ages?
How would they go about in their everyday life?
How would they prep for battle?
>>
Is it true that they would shit and piss in their armor sometimes and then clean it out later or is that just an ebin meme?
>>
Knights were like the F-35 of their day. Glorious, flashy, proud and intimidating. They were a huge expense and those boys were prissy as fuck. Knights were used as the elite cavalry employed by Dukes and Earls, and they required a whole staff, multiple horses, and one or two wagons of supplies (plus normal supply train needs if traveling far for battle i.e. England vs. Frants).

In the end, utilizing knights and ragtag missionary forces was a huge expense for lackluster military advantage. Eventually the medieval kingdoms raised and maintained regular disciplined armies and the knights went bye-bye. The Romans went through the same BS in the Republican age. They kept getting bullied and sacked by their neighbors until they realized farmers and shopkeeps with pitchforks led by a few soliders was a shit idea in a growing world.

Further Reading: Agincourt
>>
>>1413619
You're thinking of Disney cast members
>>
>>1413621
So in like movies or paintings those knights are the same ones you speak of?
>>
File: knight_and_his_entourage.jpg (54 KB, 564x338) Image search: [Google]
knight_and_his_entourage.jpg
54 KB, 564x338
>>1413652
Breddy much. Remember, not everyone on a hoss was necessarily a knight. In addition to the ridiculous expense (multiple suits or armor and a whole entourage) they also didn't take orders well and went-off on their own adventures and pillaged whatever they wanted, which may or may not be a problem in itself but still is very disorderly.
>>
>>1413619

It happens all the time in modern war, why wouldn't it be true then?
>>
>>1413599
They were rich 1%ers who literally had butlers following them around dressing them everywhere they went, their daddys were kings, counts, dukes and their armor was literally them asking their parents for money so they can show everyone up using it 98% of the time for display and hanging out at the special knights only club. The most over rated faggots of history.
>>
>>1413634
explain this
>>
File: hutten.jpg (903 KB, 998x1604) Image search: [Google]
hutten.jpg
903 KB, 998x1604
>>1413599
Taken from a letter of Ulrich von Hutten, a late 15th century Knight of the Empire.

>Such is the lot of the knight that even though my patrimony were ample and adequate for my support, nevertheless here are the disturbances which give me no quiet. We live in fields, forests, and fortresses. Those by whose labors we exist are poverty-stricken peasants, to whom we lease our fields, vineyards, pastures, and woods. The return is exceedingly sparse in proportion to the labor expended. Nevertheless the utmost effort is put forth that it may be bountiful and plentiful, for we must be diligent stewards. I must attach myself to some prince in the hope of protection. Otherwise every one will look upon me as fair plunder. But even if I do make such an attachment hope is beclouded by danger and daily anxiety. If I go away from home I am in peril lest I fall in with those who are at war or feud with my overlord, no matter who he is, and for that reason fall upon me and carry me away. If fortune is adverse, the half of my estates will be forfeit as ransom. Where I looked for protection I was ensnared. We cannot go unarmed beyond to yokes of land. On that account, we must have a large equipage of horses, arms, and followers, and all at great expense. We cannot visit a neighboring village or go hunting or fishing save in iron.

>Then there are frequently quarrels between our retainers and others, and scarcely a day passes but some squabble is referred to us which we must compose as discreetly as possible, for if I push my claim to uncompromisingly war arises, but if I am too yielding I am immediately the subject of extortion. One concession unlooses a clamor of demands. And among whom does all this take place? Not among strangers, my friend, but among neighbors, relatives, and those of the same household, even brothers.
>>
>>1413599
>>1414248 continued
>These are our rural delights, our peace and tranquility. The castle, whether on plain or mountain, must be not fair but firm, surrounded by moat and wall, narrow within, crowded with stalls for the cattle, and arsenals for guns, pitch, and powder. Then there are dogs and their dung, a sweet savor I assure you. The horsemen come and go, among them robbers, thieves, and bandits. Our doors are open to practically all comers, either because we do not know who they are or do not make too diligent inquiry. One hears the bleating of sheep, the lowing of cattle, the barking of dogs, the shouts of men working in the fields, the squeaks or barrows and wagons, yes, and even the howling of wolves from nearby woods.

>The day is full of thought for the morrow, constant disturbance, continual storms. The fields must be ploughed and spaded, the vines tended, trees planted, meadows irrigated. There is harrowing, sowing, fertilizing, reaping, threshing: harvest and vintage. If the harvest fails in any year, then follow dire poverty, unrest, and turbulence.”
>>
>>1413621
You're retarded and nothing you said is correct.
>>
>>1415547
fix it then
>>
>>1415676
All of it is wrong.

The end.
>>
>>1414248
>>1414249
qualityposting
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.