[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who were the best hand to hand warrior civilisation before the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: 152.jpg (196 KB, 1605x1056) Image search: [Google]
152.jpg
196 KB, 1605x1056
Who were the best hand to hand warrior civilisation before the invention of the firearm? Our current soldiers will probably be scared of the vision of an ancient warrior using a knife.
>>
>>1411860
Why?
Average Roman was like 160cm.
I'm 186cm, 84kg, 10% BF. I could swing a 20kg barbell like it's nothing. I trained MMA.
If I got some cool armor and didn't die of disease, I'd be unstoppable in Ancient Rome. And I'm not even a soldier.
>>
>>1411881
You'd die immediately just like all the other buff barbarians who thought they could take on the little Romans.
>>
>>1411898
Facing a Roman formation, probably, but in individual combat, armed or unarmed, I'd probably wreck 95% of Roman soldiers.
>>
>>1411881
They'd just throw pilum at you.
>>
>>1411904
>implying that height/weight is more important than a good technique/moral.
>>
>>1411906
*blocks it with a shield*
heh...you have a lot to learn...kid
>>
Mongolians. The only civilisation that successfully invaded Russia.

>SUCCESSFULLY.
>>
>>1411881
Marian Legions had a minimum height requirement of 5'10. You'd only have three inches on the of smallest soldiers.
>>
>>1411909
>shield is useless because of the pilums design
>they throw them in formation so you have one stuck in your urethra also

honestly imagine being in formation of barbarians and the javelins all come flying at you

would be fucking terrifying
>>
>>1411904

No you wouldn't. Technique and speed is everything. Someone get this retard out of here.
>>
>>1411908
Height and weight is incredibly important in physical combat. And I'm talking about single combat.
>good technique
Obviously but in this case disparity in strength and size is big so I doubt it will help him. I already said I trained martial arts.
>>
>>1411914
>they throw them in formation
I didn't plan on facing a cohort alone bro.
>>1411916
>Technique and speed is everything
Do you know how I know you were never in a real fight?
>>
>>1411916
You made me remember this (gym cocky vs ex-champion):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsqN8owVEAM
>>
>>1411904
Again barbarians thinking the same got destroyed attempting that too. A Roman soldier trains almost every day of his life, he's probably been in service for at least 10 years, he can kill you in his sleep. Your size, overconfidence and uncouth swings just serve in his favour.

Combat isn't simply about wildly swinging, that will immediately get you killed.
>>
>>1411929
That's not a comparison. I am trained in fighting. That guy isn't.
Strength alone is nothing, size alone is nothing, but strength and size with some training are a major advantage.
>>
>>1411933
Barbarians were far less disciplined and tactically disadvantaged, that's why they lost.
I'm talking about individual combat.
>>
>>1411934
You claim you trained in MMA, while that gives you an advantage in unarmed combat, you have 0 skill with a sword/axe / edged weapon. Like Historical martial art enthusiasts have proved, a man who was never trained with a sword doesn't last long against a trained man.
TL,DR : you have no training in weapons, get rekt by better trained Roman
>>
>>1411942
They lost in individual combat too. You can't stay in formation while besieging yet the Romans still beat the barbarians there.

Also the Romans were familiar with single combat. Many cocky barbarians found themselves dead after challenging centurions or even legates to single combat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Claudius_Marcellus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spolia_opima
>>
>>1411904
well yeah, the whole point is that it isn't individual. individual combat is and always was for arena and low-class barbarians who think they're tough.
>>
>>1411860

there was no "best" why are autists so obsessed with asking these questions
>>
>>1411881
>didn't die of disease

you'd get sick pretty much immediately after you ate or drank anything aside from clean water or fucking bread
>>
>>1411881
>I trained MMA

so did they though. not "MMA" obviously but wrestling for sure, they'd know how to fight.

also they humped minimum 30kg gear daily and had to be able to march twenty roman miles in under 5 hours and do it every day.

they'd beat you down cucko
>>
>>1411913
Bullshit, it was 5'6 in modern day units, inform yourself before spouting bullshit next time.
>>
>>1411918
>I trained martial arts.
Have you trained weapons based martial arts? HEMA for example? Because that's quite different from hand-to-hand martial arts
>>
>>1411904
Yeah, bud. You could wreck a professional soldier.

Get a load of this fucking guy.
>>
File: brock-lesnar-.jpg (54 KB, 630x630) Image search: [Google]
brock-lesnar-.jpg
54 KB, 630x630
>>1411881
Can a person wins a gorilla without weapons? In fact, I believe are capable of this, practiced wrestling for three years and almost 1 year of boxing, so I do not think that would be the gorilla tough match for me. A couple of times had to fight in the right situation and I've never lost anyone. I strongly believe that I could get out of life gorillalta faster than me. Waxy left with his fist that parasitism comfortable stomach region but then the lightning-fast pamauttaisin right pleksiin, are likely to die on, then on top of and stranglehold on the gorilla and death. What do you think?
>>
Swiss pike men mercenaries in the Renaissance were pretty much unbeatable
>>
TERCIOS
E
R
C
I
O
S
>>
>>1411881
>Average Roman was like 160cm.
Nigger the average height of of Herculaneum's skeletons is 169cm. I severely doubt they were a whole 9cm taller in average than the rest of the peninsula.

Also
>I trained MMA
Top kek. Even ignoring the fact that unarmored combat skills won't help you in the slightest against an armed opponent, there's the fact that roman soldiers trained every fucking day. Your bitch ass that trains maybe 6h/week would get rekt even harder than it does when sparring with the pros at your gym.
>>
File: 1461926289529.png (571 KB, 600x763) Image search: [Google]
1461926289529.png
571 KB, 600x763
>>1412127
>that I could get out of life gorillalta faster than me. Waxy left with his fist that parasitism comfortable stomach region but then the lightning-fast pamauttaisin right pleksiin, are likely to die on, then on top of and stranglehold on the gorilla and death. What do you think?
>>
>>1412133
>before the invention of the firearm
>>
>>1412131
They were beaten plenty of times tho. Once they even managed to lose to a cavalry charge, which is literally what they exist to stop.
>>
Its hard to compare due the difference in the trainning/diet/tactics/context

But, if I had to get the All around most effective guys... I would probably go with the Tercios
>>
>>1412143
Whooops
Double 3s still mean Tercios are based as fuck tho.
>>
>>1411881
>I could swing a 20kg barbell like it's nothing.

Who the fuck can't lol?
>>
>>1411881
If you dont know how to use a sword properly you would get destroyed by anyone roman with a little blade handling experience
>>
>Size doesn't matter
>Strength doesn't matter
>Height doesn't matter

this thread is full of retarded manlets
>>
>>1412462
It matters, a fucking lot.

But just because you joined a crossfit class, doesnt mean that you could kill a fucking warrior that has been doing this most of his life.
Did you ever kill somebody? Did you got really hurt/ bleeding? Do you have the willpower to just maim/kill some other human being?
Experience is the word here, and nobody here on this thread have it. So yeah, I'll rather put my money on any experienced historical soldier vs you or any other pseudo-badass here
>>
>>1412462
>skill doesn't matter
And you call others retarded.
At least in unarmed combat you have the excuse that your weight is directly responsible for the damage you inflict. With a sword even a kid can exert enough force to cut you open.
>>
>>1411961
You romanticize the Romans too much, they were far more dependent on formations and armor than the ancient Spartans were.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.