[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did Yahweh become God?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 200px-God.jpg (10 KB, 200x281) Image search: [Google]
200px-God.jpg
10 KB, 200x281
How did Yahweh become God?
>>
He always was God. The rest of the gods are merely his fallen angels.
>>
>>1409361
The Jews killed the other god's worshipers and so they lost power.

Think American Gods but with more sand niggers.
>>
>>1409378
So the Holocaust was really an attempt to kill Yahweh?
>>
He was the deity dwelling on Sinai, an active volcano on those times. Very furious and noisy.
>>
With several intermediate steps.

First he was just one god among many.
Then he became associated with the Israelites in particular.
Then, to the Israelites, he became the most powerful god, as a form of nationalism.
Then he became a "jealous god," and all other worship was forbidden.
Then he became the ONLY god, and all others were just frauds and lesser beings.
Then, one particular fringe cult (Christianity) began incorporating ideas from Greek philosophy, and he became more and more abstract.
Then Christianity grew into the dominant religion in the Roman empire.
>>
>>1409361
Canaanites incorporated diverse pantheons of their enemies/captors.

Also later greek ideals.
>>
>>1409361
Tribe > Nation > Empire
>>
He was a moon god who transformed vicious during the Babylonian rule.
>>
>>1409457
There's a theory that he was a war god and a theory that he was a storm god, but no theory that he was a moon god.

He's associated with storms a lot in the OT ("Yahweh, rider on the clouds") and with war ("Yahweh is a man of war. Yahweh is his name.") but never with the moon that I can recall.
>>
>>1409457
> moon god
that´s Allah
nevermind, it´s the same guy
>>
>>1409462

Yeah, I read that from some 70's history book long time ago.
>>
>>1409462
>There's a theory that he was a war god and a theory that he was a storm god
Why not both?
>>
>>1409462
the moon god thing is from a jack chick tract, but it has some rhetorical legs on it because Moon Anything is just inherently a funny thing.
>>
>>1409412
This is the most accepted view among scholars today.
>>
Yhwh means "I am that I am" and self existing.
>>
Killed the other gods and absorbed their powers, then claimed the others never even existed.
>>
>>1409412
>First he was just one god among many.
>Then he became associated with the Israelites in particular.
How did this happen? What was he a god of? What would be his closest parallels in neighboring pantheons?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.