[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Discussion of "what if" scenarios of history. The
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
Discussion of "what if" scenarios of history.

The Axis winning WWII or WWI.

Japan never modernized.

Age of Enlightenment never occurred.

Renaissance never occurred.

Schism of the Catholic Church never occurred.

Just to name a few. Discuss.
>>
what if people didn't make these threads
>>
What if OP wasn't gay?
>>
>>1409175
What if your daddy left you in your mothers mouth.
>>
Why do people hate alternate history so much?

I think it's fun.
>>
I love how wacky all those soldiers look
>>
>>1409247
It depends on how seriously people take it. Actually arguing about it rather than just proposing and considering scenarios seems pointless both in the sense that any conclusion reached will be useless and that a conclusion can't really be reached in the first place.
>>
>>1409425
I think it can be useful in illuminating real historical facts. If someone proposes some highly unrealistic scenario, for example, people can step in and show how their alternate history is based on a misrepresentation of facts or just plain ignorance.
>>
>>1409165
There is an entire shitty forum that you can talk about this crap, do it there
>>
The Germans lost. Get over it.
>>
I've always been fascinated by what would have happened if Scotland had left the UK in the 1970s or early 80s by some means.

The UK government of the day had an internal report saying it would make Scotland embarrassingly wealthy. (due to recently discovered oil)

But more than that, the political effect on the UK would be interesting. (Without oil to help the value of the pound increase, and subsequently further reduce the competitiveness of exports, perhaps with an early elections among other things.)

A relatively mild case compared to "What if Germany won WW2?" but the various small to mid-size political impacts and long-term status of the countries involved would be relatively interesting.

It's a shame such a scenario will probably never be explored without devolving into an argument about the UK's current constitutional arrangements.
>>
>>1409165
> what if the axis win ww2?
Well I believe that you wouldn't have the huge nations of germany and Japan as many alternative history theories suggest.
But you would also have ti decide how this victory came ti be? Nuclear victory in America, land war victory in Russia, or natural victory throughout. You also have to decide which points in the war you'd like to go with so I'll shoot for 1939 with a german war development in the east rather than the west.

1939:
> the wermacht invades poland in order to secure lebensraum and a border in which to invade soviet russia
> both gb and France denounce hitlers actions
> ( victory switch) hitler persuades bith fb and France that his war is purely to stop the spread of communism
> germany takes poland and continues pushing into russia in the spring
> guderian is tasked with taking Moscow by tank rush with rundstedt taking leningrad thought Estonia
> red army in disarray
> german victory and hitler gets lebensraum

It's a little bit under developed but it is alternate history.
See of you can build off this /his/
>>
>>1409247
Let's take this thread for example.

First of, OP implied that there were axis powers in WW1, proving that he's a Team Instinct tier retard.

Secondly, look at the suggestions. One sentence long "what if x was different" questions, with no thought put in. If you want to have an honest discussion about alternate history, you need to provide more than that. For example, if you want your discussion to be about Germany winning the great war, you need to specify what year, what month, how did they get France to capitulate, how did they stop internal dissent, and a dozen other conditions.

And that's for a simple "what if this war was different." A four year period. To ask something like "what if the enlightenment never happened" shows a fundamental misunderstanding of history. That's a century long period of time involving dozens of great writers, hundreds of writers that have been forgotten to time, and at the tale end of three millennia of continual western history. You might as well ask "what if the dinosaurs didn't die," because the answers going to be the same. We have no fucking idea.

If you want a good thread, you need a good starting point, with solid talking points. But if you're going to post five word "suggestions" that show no interest or real thought, you might as well just say "Hey /his/ Harry Turtledove hasn't put out a book on a while, please entertain me."
>>
>>1409165
if japan never modernized then china would have become a similar colonial power in the pacific instead
>>
>>1409165
>Axis winning WW1
That's a bif "What if"
>>
>Renaissance never occurred.

We'd be exploring the galaxy right now, for the glory of Christ.
>>
>>1409880
Okay, let's try it.
>What if Germany won the First Battle of the Marne?

What impacts would that have in the war? Possible political changes in Europ for that period?
>>
>>1410113
Well, I'm not convinced that would have ended the war. While the loss of Paris would have been a blow to the Entente, most of their armed forces would still be in tact. Hell, while the northern part of France was the most industrialized regions are in the north, Britain still had the most industry in the world.

On the other side, Germany would be incredibly overstretched. The French and Belgian transportation networks needed extensive repair and integration into the German rail network. Until then, it would incredibly difficult to reinforce and resupply the armies that were both occupying Paris and defending against Entente counter attacks.

tl;dr in 1914 the belligerents still had enough fight in then that no one was capitulating easily
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.