[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"If you live inside a cave you won't how the outside
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 1
File: school of anthens.jpg (2 MB, 3697x2414) Image search: [Google]
school of anthens.jpg
2 MB, 3697x2414
>"If you live inside a cave you won't how the outside looks like!"
>"Things are made up of smaller things!"
>"1+1=2"
>"Fire is hot!"
>"Some things are alive, some others are not!"
>"Perfect things don't exist, unless they are perfect!"
>"It's better to be a good person than to be a bad one!"

Wow, I can't believe how brilliant these Greek philosophers were. I mean, how can a human mind reach such complex and unthinkable conclusions? Truly, I'm perplexed by their intellectual capacities.

Seriously now. Why are they seen as such smart people when what they said is nothing more than any other child that is not mentally retarded can also deduce?

Were early humans that dumb? Could it be that people troughout time simply (biologically) "evolved" and got smarter as a result?
>>
>>1405029
Demonstrate that 1+1=2
>>
>>1405033
Define "demonstrate" first.
>>
>>1405033
>hahahah look Greeks knew of the Peano Postulates long before the 19th century xddd
Yeah except for simple day to day maths is different from algebric conotation
>>
>>1405029
I think you're being slightly disingenuous and if you truly think this about Greek philosophers then you should go do more research and come up with a better meme
>>
>>1405029
But they thought it all in ancient greek

That's a dead language, senpai, just think how long it took these guys to study it enough to be fluent
>>
People in the past were really stupid. Just look at Greek science. For fuck's sake Aristotle thought that if you throw something it'll move in a straight line.

Greeks are just a middle piece between monkeys and modern man.
>>
>>1405029
>stuff falls
>if something is moving it will keep moving unless stopped
>you move something by pushing it
>when you push something, it pushes you back
Wow, I can't believe how brilliant this Newton guy was.

Seriously now. Why is he seen as such smart guy when what he said is nothing more than any other child that is not mentally retarded can also deduce?
>>
So don't consider how much writing these people had and how much time meditating they spent on these questions that they had?

You know these people wrote stuff that we cant philosophically comprehend fully still.

You know because they were absent from the technology we had today they were receptive to a lot more abstract thinking than we are if we sit online all day and try to discredit philosophers because we think its funny and that our opinions are exalted thoughts that everyone needs to accept.
>>
>>1405082
You aren't saying anything more than what a child can deduce either.

Also you aren't considering how much more each of these "sayings" go
>>
>>1405082
Well the Greeks didn't believe any of those things to be true, so you're saying the Greeks were literally mentally retarded children.
>>
>>1405096
He's parodying that underage accident of birth that is OP you dumbwit. Nobody thinks a child can deduce the stuff Newton deduced, but they all seem intuitive and obvious retrospectively
>>
>>1405113
Can't you see thay this is a parody of OP to show how retarded OP is? Gosh I thought /his/ was smarter than that.
>>
>>1405029
What is hindsight bias again?
>>
>>1405120
Maybe next time it'll be obvious and the post will actually be about something worth talking about
>>
>>1405124
But all you did was further show how retarded the Greeks were.
>>
>>1405269
>But all you did was further show how retarded the Greeks were.
retarded =/= stupid
Retarded implies the greeks were mentally handicapped, which they aren't, they are stupid by today's standards unless you can prove a child in a educational and cultural vacuum can come up with these ideas. also
>"Fire is hot!"
is not a greek idea, it's not even a human idea, it's a natural instinct almost all organisms with a nervous system have hard wired into them.
>>
>>1405072
>Aristotle thought that if you throw something it'll move in a straight line.

Dude you can actually observe that when you throw something it doesn't go in a straight line.. that's retarded, can anyone confirm that he said that?
>>
>>1405083
>You know these people wrote stuff that we cant philosophically comprehend fully still.

Wat. But I try to follow your logic, indeed let's look at Hinduism - at first there are concepts, ideas that you can't comprehend - but after investing lots of time you realize how much time some people invested in the ideas themselves.. but then you realize how stupid the ideas themselves are.
>>
>>1405148

I think it was extremely obvious
>>
>>1405082
newton is brillant because he could bring up a formulae to calculate gravity, he did not discover it.
he also invented calculus wich is something very complex (to discover from nothing) and opens a lot of mathematic fields
>>
The greeks really were overrated desu senpai, now eastern philosophy on the other hand...
>>
>>1405082
>>stuff falls
No, stuff is pulled. This was revolutionary
>>
This is the worst thread I've ever seen on /his/
>>
>>1405029
>"Fire is hot!"
The Greeks weren't the first with this one.

Fire is everything! Now that's a Greek contribution.
>>
>>1405029

Turn off the computer and have a few days away from the Internet. Memes are rotting your brain.
>>
>>1406415

weebs need to kill themselves. eastern """"philosophy""""" is retarded
>>
Before greeks all we had was jewish philosophy about pleasing fake gods and chinese philosophy about why boots are best placed on your face

Plus there was also deconstructionist 2,000 years before striner in ancient greece. All the popular greek philosophers today are the ones who were declared righteous pagans by the church and best had their works preserved, there's no philosophy outside the 19-20th century that didn't exist in ancient greece already
>>
>>1406409
>he also invented calculus
I like this meme, especially the part where its completely wrong
>>
>>1405033
Which philosopher was it that proved it by simply claiming that he has two hands, one on each arm? I forget.
>>
Friendly reminder that Plato was a fascist that poisoned western thought.

Also, the theory of forms is fucking retarded.
>>
Diogenes >>>>>>>> Plato

Can you imagine how much better western society would be if it was inspired by Diogenes instead of that fuckstick Plato?
>>
>>1406701
>that poisoned western thought.
democracy did that tho
>>
>>1405029
>Strawmaning the opposition makes my argument sound smarter

Wow, I can't beloved how brilliant OP is. I mean, how can a faggot reach such hights of rhetoric
>>
>>1406697
Newton could not formulate his laws of motion, gravitation etc. without calculus; no matter how much he detested Leibniz and misappropriated Leibniz’s contribution.
>>
>>1405029
Even the most obvious things need to be said by someone.
>>
>>1405033

If you have one milk and another milk, then you have two milk.

You slack-jawed tobacco dribbling faggot
>>
>>1406712

Diogenes is just dank memes in action. Stop being fucking retarded.
>>
>>1406721
do you think OP could get away with threads like this on /a/ by saying children could replicate better art than astro boy or /ck/ by saying children could make better food than cavemen?
>>
>>1406741
>rekt Plato during his classes in front of his students on numerous occasions
>told Alexander The Great to fuck off and die
>recognized that doggos are the greatest of all creatures
>lived in a fucking clay wine jar
>was captured by pirates and sold into slavery and was so liked by his master that he was going to set him free
>spit in the face of a rich man whose house he was visiting
>would sit in the middle of the marketplace and pig out on food even though it was very much against Greek custom to do so
>would shit on theatre stages
>would urinate on passersby that would insult him
>would masturbate in public and would respond to detractors by saying "if only I could get rid of hunger by rubbing my belly too"

I don't care if he was the prototypical edgy memester. He was the man.
>>
>>1406735

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principia_Mathematica

>several hundred pages are required in PM to prove the validity of the proposition 1+1=2.

If only they had read your brilliant post before writing all that.
>>
>>1406724
None of those invented calculus. They just jumped on the bandwagon and took all the credit
>>
>>1405033

1+1=1+1

At best.

1+1=2

is ultimately saying that

a+b=c
>>
>>1407054
they must be pretty damn retarded
>>
>>1407492
Compared to enlightened mind like you, maybe.
>>
>>1407465
you mean A+A=B
>>
>things fall down due to gravity
>the faster you go, the more power you need to move
>animals change over time to suit their environment
>earth is round
>wow earth spins around sun
Wow scientists sure are smart. I cant believe how these brilliant scientists are.
>>
>>1405517
Yes, that's what Aristotle says in Physics. Just like he says heavier objects fall faster than light ones, or that things can only keep moving as long as something keeps pushing them. It's only in the late Middle Ages that people realised it was all bullshit.
>>
>>1407714
>It's only in the late Middle Ages that people realised it was all bullshit.

And then in the Renaissance people went back to believing it was all true because "muh Ancients wuz smart!", kek.
>>
>>1405072
>Implying modern man is the pinacle of inteligence
>Implying that in 100 years from now, people will be laughing at our present times and say we were dumb as hell.
>>
>>1407824
But Anon I'm already laughing at your strawman and your inability to use greentext properly right now!
>>
>>1407054
>several hundred pages
Okay, so how many eggheads have actually verified that it proves it though?
>>
>>1407054
2 is defined as 1+1, there is nothing to prove.
>>
>>1407558
Everything you said is literally false, pick up a book you humanities cocksucker
>>
>>1405033
I'm sorry they replaced you in iron man Terrence, but this math shit has got to stop.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.