[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tin and Trade
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: Metallurgical_diffusion.png (225 KB, 1780x1180) Image search: [Google]
Metallurgical_diffusion.png
225 KB, 1780x1180
How important was tin towards the formation of long distance trade routes. I have heard it relative scarcity to bronze age societies created a demand that allowed for the formation of many trade routes.
>>
Supposedly tin trade routes stretched as far as Afghanistan during the bronze age.
>>
>>1398987
It almost begs the question how bronze was discovered in the first place.
>>
>>1398981
How are there no green dots on Sardinia if it had the biggest amount of copper mines in the Med next to Cyprus?

Either way most swords in Scandinavia were made of mainly Sardinian copper during the bronze Age according to a recent study, but I don't know about tin.
>>
>>1399176
The map is shit I know too lazy to find a good one.
>>
>>1399184
>>1399176
Also metallurgy was practiced in Sardinia since before 3500 bc

>Copper and silver are the earliest worked metals in Sardinia: there is evidence of their use from the first half of the 4th millennium BC, in the sphere of the Ozieri facies of the Final NeoIithic.
>>
>>1398999

Like most things, probably by accident. Tin and copper are both semi-precious metals used in jewelry alongside gold long before bronze was discovered.
>>
File: copper-deposits-map-lg.jpg (135 KB, 1055x503) Image search: [Google]
copper-deposits-map-lg.jpg
135 KB, 1055x503
>>1398981

Copper is quite widespread but tin is not. It's especially rare in the near east, which coincidentally is the birthplace of civilizations. Acquiring reliable supplies of tin was a major preoccupation of ancient rulers
>>
File: Tin-ancient-sources.png (107 KB, 940x477) Image search: [Google]
Tin-ancient-sources.png
107 KB, 940x477
>>1399296
>>
I heard there were some crazy obsidian trade routes in neolithic age that spanned all across Mediterranean and Middle east, if anyone has more sources about this post em
>>
>>1399327
Yes just google it

>>1399305
These maps are different, maybe these deposits are small so they got ignored in yours?
>>
File: Bronze_Age_Tin_Deposits.jpg (377 KB, 1920x1011) Image search: [Google]
Bronze_Age_Tin_Deposits.jpg
377 KB, 1920x1011
>>1399365
World view
>>
>>1398981
Greeks as early as the bronze age traded with Albion and Ireland for tin. Some people think mycenaeans actually colonized the west med. For that purpose.

Im having a hard time finding the paper again though.
>>
>>1399475
They didn't colonize it actually
>>
>>1399475
Strabo talked about sea trade routes to England/Ireland I did a paper on it in first year classical studies.
>>
>>1400137
We're talking about the bronze age
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.