[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any cultural reason why some sins like a gluttony simply
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Gula Vanitas.png (626 KB, 650x500) Image search: [Google]
Gula Vanitas.png
626 KB, 650x500
Is there any cultural reason why some sins like a gluttony simply ignored by religion, but other one like the homosexuality are hated with a passion? Isn't the first one is more prevalent and dangerous to the individual who would day being fat and shit?
>>
Because it's more prevalent it's more difficult to find people to agree/promote in such a grand scale gluttony, and of the sins is the more accessible one in a way.

And in old times I don't know if excessive eating to the lengths we know was even possible.

Its use most have come over the idea of teaching people to ratio their food.
>>
Because everyone can be gluttonous, but not everyone is a homosexual. People would much rather (they love to) look at another group and shout at them than to look at themselves.
>>
>>1396184
If a glutton publicly proclaimed that gluttony is a virtue like faggots do with homosexuality I would hate those fatasses just as much.
>>
>>1396204
For royalty it was very possible to eat as much fat and sugar (honey) as you could stomach ten times over.
>>
>>1396184
It is a shame that religion doesn't somehow update its sins. It seems like a great tool to enforce more healthier lifestyle:

- Excess sugar is absolutely sinful
- Too much salt is absolutely haram
- Smoking is absolutely not kosher!
Etc.

But I see at the Wikipedia page "religion on smoking" that it sort of does.

The weakness of liberalism is that while granting the populace freedom is great population control, the population sees the choice of an unhealthy lifestyle as a free choice and saddle up society with the implications.

Taboos are what I find most magnificent of religions and I am an atheist. Though I know of some tribal religions that have a bit nonsensical taboos.
>>
>>1396324

In the times the ten commandments where written for example I don't think there where people with enough resources to that, but I'm not entirely sure, it mist be very hard the creation of a wealthy class in that period, or at least that it was prevalent enough to be even recognized as a problem.

Nomading in the desert most require this people to have very ratio oriented minds, gluttony when created seems most plausible to have come of the necessity of teaching this people to don't eat more than their ratio/necessary than attacking over eating, since when this roaming/nomad tribes forgot about gluttony the moment they started to settle and creating societies and the surplus of food became more prevalent.
>>
>>1396398
Yes obviously it wouldn't be a widespread problem, I'm just saying that royalty could eat as much as they wanted and then some. The pharaohs were very wealthy.
>>
>>1396545
Yes, but we don't have resources that Egyptian laws/religion condemned over eating.

Judging for where that concept came to (gluttony) I still think that the reason of it to be was ratio oriented.
>>
>>1396345
It always annoys me when I feel like people are enforcing or respecting a religious taboo without understanding the practical reason it came to be in the first place, and that said reason is obsolete.
I wish religious authorities would update their customs to remove obsolete taboos, and maybe add new ones that actually serve a purpose.

I guess they can't really do that though, because some of these taboos are supposed to have been created by beings that are the object of worship, and admitting that they were actually probably just created by men because they served a useful purpose makes people question what other aspects of the religion are more mundane than they're presented as, until people start to think that maybe the entire thing is a sham.
And people also like their traditions and trying to challenge the taboos of devout believers or even make them follow new ones surely wouldn't be received all that well.
>>
>These faggots don't know about sumptuary laws because you can't make a History Channel weekend special about it

Why don't you fools take the first step in educating yourselves?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumptuary_law
>>
>>1397303
Seems those laws are common when aristocracy arise, whether the concept of gluttony in itself came to be in response to a real need.

Just like the other commandments, against adultery for example to promote a "nuclear" family.

Later I agree some of this laws can be used by aristocratic societies.
>>
The Orthodox don't ignore gluttony, no one at my parish is fat except one family, and there are frequent fast days.
>>
>>1396184
>what is fasting?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.