[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did the Austrian-Hungarian Empire do during ww1? I remember
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: images.jpg (10 KB, 255x198) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10 KB, 255x198
What did the Austrian-Hungarian Empire do during ww1? I remember back in high school that we just learned that they started WW1, but then it became Germany vs the world.
>>
>>1395576

They beat up Serbia (eventually) and then did little of effect.

They spent most of their war effort on the Eastern Front, usually losing to the Russians and needing the Germans to bail them out. They sent a few large siege artillery pieces west, IIRC.

They also fought the Italians up around the Alps, in a front that really didn't move much at all.

I think they also had some submarine action in the Med, but I don't know about that theater too well.
>>
this >>1395655
Plus they suffered a lot of nationalist insurrections that eventually tore them apart. This was mostly down to three things:
>the entente governments supported governments-in-exile of all the nations of the empire, even the ones that did not have popular mandates from their own people
>Slavs on the eastern front did not like fighting other Slavs to further a German cause
and obviously the good old extremist Balkan nationalism that we all know and love.
>>
>>1395576
they fought the italians a lot
>>
Caporetto was a devastating defeat for the Italians, so much so that it's now an idiom
>>
Distracted the Russians, mostly.
>>
>>1395576
Took an embarrassingly long time to defeat Serbia, got BTFO by Russia, and dicked around with Italy in the alps.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.