[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was it like living in the Soviet Union? Sounds fucking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
What was it like living in the Soviet Union? Sounds fucking awful. How accurate is this btw?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdh0ekN4Y50
>>
Better than living in the countries that came after it.

Also, cold war era reports from the greatest enemy of the Soviet Union aren't exactly accurate.
>>
>>1395506
Sometimes your enemy is the most honest. I'd trust a contemporary American professor before I would have trusted a contemporary Soviet professor desu
>>
>>1395521
No.

That's like saying that North Korean reports about South Korea are because "Sometimes your enemy is the most honest"
>>
>>1395545
are trustworthy*
>>
>>1395545
That's a bad analogy though since America's press was a lot more transparent than the Soviet's and certainly more than North Korea's press.

I know you'll just respond with something dumb like ">America >free press >not run by corporations/jews/globalists/boogeyman etc etc haha.gif" but you and I know that it is absolutely true. You can't dispute that the press was freer in the first world than in the second world.

To respond to a bad analogy with a less bad analogy: "That's like trusting North Korea to give you legitimate news about North Korea"
>>
>>1395506
For ten years. Id take modern Russia over soviet russia any day
>>
File: achilles (2).jpg (40 KB, 366x315) Image search: [Google]
achilles (2).jpg
40 KB, 366x315
>>1395521
>Sometimes your enemy is the most honest

This is the most fucking idiotic thing I've ever read on /his/.
>>
>>1395589
No you wouldn't.

t.Russian ex-pat
>>
>>1395586

You're right. Even scholarly research was government controlled in the USSR. You can't knowingly and deliberately withhold information and records from the west for 50 years then complain when assumptions are made to fill those voids. You can't propagandize and politicize historical documents for 50 years then get upset when their credibility is suspect.

That's not to say America didn't produce its own propaganda, but at least Americans could also produce books and films without governments approval, even if the content is pro-Soviet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrKDBFJoo2w
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.