[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was the Industrial Revolution a mistake?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 9
File: ir36gr21x1[1].jpg (97 KB, 629x480) Image search: [Google]
ir36gr21x1[1].jpg
97 KB, 629x480
Was the Industrial Revolution a mistake?
>>
File: berry.jpg (12 KB, 233x261) Image search: [Google]
berry.jpg
12 KB, 233x261
Yes.
>>
Agriculture was a mistake
>>
File: unabomber.jpg (66 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
unabomber.jpg
66 KB, 500x400
>>1393923
Yes.

The taxonomization and commodification of man has already begun. Soon we will all of us be but a piece of the machine.
>>
File: index.jpg (5 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
5 KB, 275x183
>>1393923
Of course not. I am glad I am not Amish.
>>1393934
You're being silly
>>
>>1393934
Found the Mongol.
>>
>>1393923
No, Thomas Jefferson.
>>
>implying we ever had a choice

The industrial revolution was as inevitable as the agrarian revolution, as will be in turn the next revolution.
>>
File: Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-1.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-1.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>1394160
Transhumanism is in the horizon
>>
>>1394160
Cultural revolution soon comrade
>>
>>1393923
Yes the great celestial empire of China knew this before the British cucked them in the opium wars
>>
>>1394160

The third revolution has already started and its technology/digital revolution, noobs.
>>
File: pp09MqR.jpg (279 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
pp09MqR.jpg
279 KB, 960x960
look at this catchy maymay and tell me otherwise.

Didn't think so.
>>
>>1393938
Who is this?
>>
yes it was
>>
It gave birth to the two most toxic ideologies in human history, capitalism and communism, so yes it was a huge mistake.
>>
>>1394329
This one will end with the extermination of the human race by super intelligent (but not necessarily sentient) machines.
>>
File: 1409342296774.jpg (14 KB, 404x304) Image search: [Google]
1409342296774.jpg
14 KB, 404x304
>>1394434

>People still buy into the "killer AI" meme
>>
No, this is just a meme by fedoras who confuse cynicism with realism, want to appear edgy and believe in the nirvana fallacy.
>>
>>1393923
no
>>
File: 1464746274455.gif (1 MB, 440x300) Image search: [Google]
1464746274455.gif
1 MB, 440x300
>>1394522

>industrial revolution is currently fast-tracking us towards Permian-Triassic Extinction Event 2: Electric Boogaloo
>This is fine because opposing the dominant ideology of technology being the only measure of success is """cynical"""

People like you are the reason why I'll be happy when this house of cards comes crashing down around us.
>>
>>1394526
>Permian-Triassic Extinction Event
So a small farmer in Africa turned forest into farmland. How does the extinction of a species of frog and beetle measure up against the reduction in poverty?

Without a consistent system to make moral judgments you could argue "lol humans are shit, murdering innocent grasshoppers just so they can have modern medicine and don't have to watch their children starve during a famine". To be fair, likewise I could argue the opposite "dude, it's just a little oil spill lmao".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirvana_fallacy

We need a system of ethics and morals to base our judgments on or we will just be making shit up as we go along. I'll let you decide since arguing over which is the right one is a different debate.

>technology being the only measure of success
never said that

>People like you
People who disagree with you? People who think and question you?
>>
>>1394600

> How does the extinction of a species of frog and beetle measure up against the reduction in poverty?

Sorry anon, you're terminally retarded and don't have even an entry-level comprehension of ecology. Goodbye.
>>
>>1394522
Fedoras are more likely to this the Industrial Revolution "Advanced Humanity"
>>
>>1393938
>soon
>>
magic revolution when
>>
File: ^^^^.png (389 KB, 556x644) Image search: [Google]
^^^^.png
389 KB, 556x644
>>1394490
>People still buy into the "benevolent AI" meme

look I can do it too.
>>
honestly i don't know.
i think i would be far happier being a farmer or whatever owning my "own" land instead of a pathetic neet which may find a shitty job and after years of slaving could afford to buy a small condo.
but its only speculations.
>>
No, it wasn't a mistake. But we haven't completely figured out how to live in it yet.
>>
>>1394600
The issue isn't the extinction. The issue is that our knowledge about ecology is poor. Its good enough that we know there is a pyramid, and a few rough signs, but its also so poor we spot there is gigantic black holes in our pyramids.

So the problem isn't "a few species die" its more like "what if one of those beetle species was symbiotic with our agriculture, meaning its responsible for 90% of our farm yield in the long term".
It doesn't have to be a single species either, it can be a small ecological pyramid where the small transitions from species to species benefit agriculture in a 100-200 year period, significantly.

So what happens if that ecology pyamid dies? Well, there will be a long term reduction of food production. Which by itself is whatever, because most of "the civilized world" has enough land to recover.
But it will spark the 2nd and third world to go into world war modus, simply because Poo in Loo India is so overpopulated that it has to go that way.
So the only real solution is to Nuke India and recolonize Africa if such a extinction event happens, or risk a world war where the less educated savages wages said world war.
And its not about them being savages, its about the fact their power structure are so poor they are risking their population in purpose. And the same could be said of most Slav nations, and where USA is heading.
>>
>>1394702
Literally right now.

The Kult of Kek grows larger every day and works strange miracles.
>>
>>1394338
weird al
>>
No, but the Internet was.
>>
Civilization was a mistake
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.