[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Historical treatment of the disabled
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: 41M84joibwL._UY700_.jpg (31 KB, 430x700) Image search: [Google]
41M84joibwL._UY700_.jpg
31 KB, 430x700
What has been the typical treatment of those born with mental and/or physical disabilities? The Spartans cast disabled babies off cliffs, for example. What have other cultures done, and have there been societies like today's that aimed to actually improve the quality of life of the handicapped rather than just kill them or put them down?

Pic definitely not related
>>
There are some examples of particularly deformed individuals in pre-modern Europe being taken for the results of trysts with the devil, which naturally didn't turn out well for them or their mothers.

I remember reading one account (no idea where) about a so-called 'sheep boy' assumed to be the result of bestiality killed and nailed to a church.
>>
>>1391923
Reminds me of this thing. From what I can gather, it was a heavily deformed baby mistaken for a human-chicken hybrid.
>>
>>1391904
they werent treated
>>
>>1391923
>I remember reading one account (no idea where) about a so-called 'sheep boy' assumed to be the result of bestiality killed and nailed to a church.
I remember hearing of one like that in Turkey a few years ago. I'm pretty sure they didn't nail it to a church, but other than that it matches what you described.
>>
Most would just die, or would be killed by their parents. Getting a healthy child to survive infancy is hard enough, few people would waste effort trying to raise a diasbled.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.