[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which historical figure has the best epithet?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: Scourge of God.jpg (170 KB, 906x1110) Image search: [Google]
Scourge of God.jpg
170 KB, 906x1110
Which historical figure has the best epithet?
>>
Napoleon, the horse-thief of Berlin
>>
Julius Caesar, Queen of Bithynia
>>
Saint James the Moor-slayer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_James_Matamoros
>>
>>1383713
I misread that as moon-slayer for a moment. Would have been more interesting.
>>
>>1383721
None ever tolld you we used to have two moons?
>>
>>1383721

Well the kebabs have a crescent moon for their symbol
>>
>>1383531
>Attila
>White
>>
Justinian II Rhinotmetos (The Slit-Nosed)
>>
File: Idi Amin is amused.gif (2 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
Idi Amin is amused.gif
2 MB, 200x150
His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular
>>
File: Basilios_II.jpg (54 KB, 389x480) Image search: [Google]
Basilios_II.jpg
54 KB, 389x480
>>1383531
Basil II the Bulgar Slayer

>In 1014 Basil was ready to launch a campaign aimed at destroying Bulgarian resistance. On 29 July 1014, Basil II and his general Nikephoros Xiphias outmanoeuvred the Bulgarian army, which was defending one of the fortified passes, in the Battle of Kleidion. Samuel avoided capture only through the valour of his son Gabriel. Having crushed the Bulgarians, Basil exerted his vengeance by cruelty - he was said to have captured 15,000 prisoners and blinded 99 of every 100 men, leaving one one-eyed man in each cohort to lead the rest back to their ruler. Samuel was physically struck down by the dreadful apparition of his blinded army and died two days later, on 6 October 1014, after suffering a stroke. Although the mistreatment of the Bulgarian prisoners may have been exaggerated, this incident helped give rise to Basil's Greek epithet of Boulgaroktonos, meaning "the Bulgar-slayer", in later tradition.
>>
>>1384341
>Busir was offered a bribe by Tiberios to kill his brother-in-law, and dispatched two Khazar officials, Papatzys and Balgitzin, to do the deed.[17] Warned by his wife, Justinian strangled Papatzys and Balgitzin with his own hands.[18] He sailed in a fishing boat to Cherson, summoned his supporters, and they all sailed westwards across the Black Sea.[19]

>As the ship bearing Justinian sailed along the northern coast of the Black Sea, he and his crew became caught up in a storm somewhere between the mouths of the Dniester and the Dnieper Rivers.[17] While it was raging, one of his companions reached out to Justinian saying that if he promised God that he would be magnanimous, and not seek revenge on his enemies when he was returned to the throne, they would all be spared.[19] Justinian retorted, “If I spare a single one of them, may God drown me here”.[17]

>After tracking down his predecessors, he had his rivals Leontius and Tiberios brought in chains before Justinian in the Hippodrome, now wearing a golden nasal prosthesis.[21] There, before a jeering populace, Justinian placed his feet on the necks of Tiberios and Leontios in a symbolic gesture of subjugation before ordering their execution by beheading, followed by many of their partisans,[22] as well as deposing, blinding and exiling Patriarch Kallinikos I of Constantinople to Rome.[23]

Holy shit. B-but thou shalt turn the other cheek...
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.