[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, can christo-/his/'s collective knowledge help me with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 4
File: Christ Guru.png (1 MB, 840x586) Image search: [Google]
Christ Guru.png
1 MB, 840x586
Hey, can christo-/his/'s collective knowledge help me with something?

I once read a quote by an Indian or eastern Asian (don't remember it exactly) Guru/ Priest/ Spiritual teacher, that said something along the lines of, that people should follow their own western philosophies/ religions/ teachers, instead of making pilgrimages to the east.
Does anyone know who said that? It would be very helpful for something I want to write...
>>
The Dalai Lama said :
People from different traditions should keep their own, rather than change. However, some Tibetan may prefer Islam, so he can follow it. Some Spanish prefer Buddhism; so follow it. But think about it carefully. Don’t do it for fashion. Some people start Christian, follow Islam, then Buddhism, then nothing.”

https://zenit.org/articles/dalai-lama-asks-west-not-to-turn-buddhism-into-a-fashion/

Is that what you are thinking of?
>>
>>1382875
I think what Lhamo here's getting at is that there is indeed a difference between some clueless Buddhaboo taking no home traditions into consideration before seeking elsewhere and finding the traditions that you're born in wanting after exploration and then seeking elsewhere.
>>
File: image.png (139 KB, 220x373) Image search: [Google]
image.png
139 KB, 220x373
>>1382460
>From the Article "Resemblances Between the Buddhist and Roman Catholic Religions."
"The Tibetan lama listened respectfully to the Jesuit priest [Father Huc] and replied, "Your religion is the same as ours.
>The Atlantic Monthy (Dec 1870)
>>
File: tumblr_nwsuokExIx1ssnktoo2_1280.jpg (458 KB, 1173x1920) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nwsuokExIx1ssnktoo2_1280.jpg
458 KB, 1173x1920
>>1382886
Ay you got a copy of them shits? I've been trying to hunt the primary sources for early Catholic missions into Vajrayana territory but it's been a pain in my asshole.
>>
>>1382460
Has anyone ever asked the Dalai Lama why he desires a free Tibet so badly?
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 140x173) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 140x173
>>1382890
That article (by Lydia Maria Child) is available online at The Atlantic's website.
>pic Eravaste Regis Huc (1813-1860)
>>
>>1382905
Thanks mate.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.