[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I was reading Leviticus and what it says about animals you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 307x512) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 307x512
So I was reading Leviticus and what it says about animals you can and cannot eat, and it seems that they were not to be eaten because of a disease they would give you.
Smashing pots that an unclean animal has been in, washing utensils that have come into contact with unclean animals and making sure not to transfer the water residue to clean animals.

Why do Jews and Muslims (if there are any more I'm unaware) still abstain from eating certain animals that are considered unclean when we have the medicinal technology to prevent or cure any such diseases that these unclean animals would have given you?
>>
because that would require a totally rational criticism of a religious text which is a HUGE no-no especially for islam
>>
No, these dietary laws have nothing to do with disease, the goal is not to be unclean.

The second goal is to separate the followers of God from the other people. Which really isn't a second goal.

Non-Jews in Judaism and non-Muslims in Islam are allowed to eat pork, for example.

Read Lev 11:43-47.

But if you're still convinced that the goal is preventing or curing disease, you should find a claim that ritual purification, which you undergo in case you become unclean, or simply waiting until evening, has the ability to cure disease.

A theory I've heard is that pigs aren't particularly suitable for traveling through the desert, unlike cattle, sheep and goats.
>>
>>1378018
You'll have to read the talmud to see the modern Jew's perspective on this-not the Torah.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWSoYCetG6A
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.