[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I've heard here that there are English Bible translations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5
File: wycliffe bible.jpg (68 KB, 320x538) Image search: [Google]
wycliffe bible.jpg
68 KB, 320x538
So, I've heard here that there are English Bible translations that are a bit more enjoyable to read than the King James Version, and I've been meaning to get around to reading the Bible. Would /his/ have any recommendations on this front?
>>
File: Psalm 23.jpg (283 KB, 736x1066) Image search: [Google]
Psalm 23.jpg
283 KB, 736x1066
>>1377184
The KJV is the most enjoyable imo but it lacks material from the Dead Sea Scrolls.

The RSV is good.
>>
>>1377211
Call me a pleb, but I found the KJV pretty impenetrable. The language was clear, but a massive chore to read.
>>
File: Then and Now.jpg (122 KB, 540x668) Image search: [Google]
Then and Now.jpg
122 KB, 540x668
>>1377216
You are a pleb. Also I don't understand; was the language impenetrable or clear?
>>
>>1377232
I mean it was clear reading, but a complete fucking chore, hence utterly impenetrable as I couldn't stand reading it.
>>
>>1377184
The KJV is definitely the most enjoyable to read. It is one of the great classics of English literature. Also enjoyable: the Geneva Bible. The NRSV is quite good, and I actually really like the English Standard Version, which is a revision of the RSV.
>>
File: hohoho.jpg (25 KB, 239x352) Image search: [Google]
hohoho.jpg
25 KB, 239x352
>>1377244
Doing chores builds character.
>>
>>1377248
I read for pleasure.
>>
File: Peraldus_Vices_and_Virtues.jpg (641 KB, 1167x871) Image search: [Google]
Peraldus_Vices_and_Virtues.jpg
641 KB, 1167x871
>>1377250
Then you're missing out.
>>
Fuck it, I'll just slog through the KJV, it would be silly to read any other as it seems to be the basically definitive English version.
>>
NKJV is where it's at
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.