[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any Poles frequent this board? I'm heading to Warsaw,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2
File: Zbroje_husarskie.jpg (141 KB, 612x800) Image search: [Google]
Zbroje_husarskie.jpg
141 KB, 612x800
Any Poles frequent this board?

I'm heading to Warsaw, Łodz, Krakow and Gdansk and want to see the best of Poland's medieval history, where should I go?

I have a basic itinerary, I just want to know if there is any stuff I should know/you would recommend?
>>
Go to military museum in Warsawa. I also recomend you to visit polish national museum(Warsawa) a lot of nice paintings. Łódź is shity city tbqh so maybe visit Poznan or Wroclaw
>>
File: collegium-maius.jpg (532 KB, 800x520) Image search: [Google]
collegium-maius.jpg
532 KB, 800x520
You should definitely go to Kraków, which was during middle ages Poland's capital. Some worthwhile places:

- Wawel Castle: royal residence contains expositions about it's medieval past. In adjacent cathedral church there are magnificent gothic tombs of polish monarchs.
- number of churches all around the city. In St. Mary's there is a great late gothic altar by Veit Stoss. Church on the Rock is historically significant. There are also St. Catherine's, Holy Trinity's, Corpus Christi, St. Andrew's, all gothic or romanesque.
- there is a new neat museum on the main square: http://www.podziemiarynku.com/
- there are remnants of medieval fortifications, most notably the barbican and St. Florian's gate.
- lots of jewish stuff, concentrated in Kazimierz district, with a gothic synagogue
- Collegium Maius - museum located in the medieval university building
- close to the city is located oldest benedictine abbey in the country : www.tyniec.benedyktyni.pl
- of course Wieliczka salt mine is a must
- inside the city limits lies cistercian abbey at Mogiła
>>
Make sure to go to Malbork which is like 30 minutes drive from Gdansk. Gotta see that Teutonic Castle. It has tours in tons of languages so you'll definitely have a good time
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.