[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Military History
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: Clausewitz.jpg (332 KB, 649x807) Image search: [Google]
Clausewitz.jpg
332 KB, 649x807
What are good sources for military history and theory?

I'm ask both due to curiosity and from a practical need (I have a project that must be coherent with facts, as opposed to the usual "fuck history, this looks cool" approach).

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>1374233
Asking*
Scheiße.
>>
>>1374233
Read Jeremy Black
>>
>>1374254
Probably better to start with The Face of Battle by John Keegan, but after Keegan, read Black
>>
>>1374256
>>1374254
Thanks I'll look them up.
>>
>>1374233
/his/
>>
>>1374256
Keegan is fucking awful. I tried to read his On War but stopped when he started going on about how the samurai were the greatest warriors and the katana could slice steel beams in hafu.
>>
>>1374336
The Face of Battle is a fine book, but yeah Keegan gets carried away sometimes.
>>
Is "On War" by Clausewitz any good?
>>
>>1374376
It's not a history book.
>>
>>1374233
http://pastebin.com/Sy6aKb39
>>
>>1374330
>Military history
>Not history
>>
>>1374233
>>1374376
Go for Clausewitz' On War. Pretty dry read with all the verbose words, but if you're looking not for the stuff such as battles and weapons and generals and all that "cool" shit, but instead stuff like how politics and war come hand in hand, how invasions and occupations should work, the aim of war and exertion for it, etc. The only downside is that it is pretty hard to read, there's so much words that could have been summed up in a few, and some are completely unnecessary. Maybe it's just my case.
>>
>>1374399
I read it already actually.

>>1374380
Oh this is nice.
>>
>>1374457
I thought you and >>1374376 are the same.
>>
Thucydides - The Peloponessian War
Julius Caesar - The Gallic War
Polybius - The Histories
>>
>>1374254
>>1374254
>Jeremy "let me tell you all about the Chinese military revolution and Eurocentric military history" black

>>1374256
john keegan is good but pretty dated

>>1374376
carl von Clausewitz for modern military theory and strategy

I would recommend:

Hew Strachan "European armies and the conduct of war"

and

Michael Howard "war in European history
>>
>>1374472
Nah, but it's an understandable assumption.

>>1374499
>>1374575
Thanks for the recs lads.
>>
>>1374378
Is it a theory book and OP asks for history and theory.

>>1374399
>>1374706
Thanks lads.

>>1374380
Oh shit, goldmine.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.